Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Washer Fluid Light Permanently On

My washer tank light is permanently on, even though I've filled up the tank with windscreen washer fluid! I've done some searching today and the most likely problem is something to do with the float, I.e. inside the tank. These can be replaced relatively easily"

But the simplest solution suggested by some is to just disconnect the sensor from under the tank. I will have a go at doing this at the weekend as a temporary fix.

However, does anyone have another suggestion for a proper fix? If it is the float, are they easily obtainable new or second hand?

Mines the same, but it can wait for the warmer weather.

If you're sturdier than me, the best thread I found was this one.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=31393&hl=washer+bottle

That's great! I hadn't found that and it is really helpful.

I think everything you need to know is in that thread.

On a similar subject though, I'm trying to give the info below a wide circulation, so I have copied and pasted it from one of my own posts on another forum.

-----------------------------

...This subject comes up every year. Every motoring website has a similar thread. I have seen lots of overpriced screen wash for sale everywhere from Halfords to Tesco & various filling stations.

The only ready-mixed screen wash that seems to be good value is the stuff from Lidl: If you can get it. Alternatively you can mix your own.

The information below will hopefully help those who are prepared to help themselves.

I have read over & over again that German screen wash products are very good, so that’s either the ready-mixed type in small bottles from Porsche or VAG or the concentrated type that has a vessel at the top to measure the required quantity. Two appear to be very good value:

Sonax Clear View (Seems to be dead link now)

Einszett Kristallklar

BTW they both come in 250ml bottles; there is an error in the Einszett webpage.

Either product works out about 30 pence per litre when mixed with water which is fine for summer use.

When it comes to winter, all you have to do, when you mix up a load in your 5 litre container, is add some Ethanol / IPA / Isopropyl Alcohol / Isopropanol (Chemists will explain the difference, I’m pretty sure for the purpose of screen wash they are all fine). See below for suitable concentrations.

I got mine from eBay & it worked out about £2.50 per litre, so even at 40% concentration, when combined with Sonax Clear View or Einszett Kristall Klar it’s around £1.30 per Litre. That would be good down to -23 oC

10% Ethanol = Freezing point of -4 oC

20% Ethanol = Freezing point of -9 oC

30% Ethanol = Freezing point of -15 oC

40% Ethanol = Freezing point of -23 oC

50% Ethanol = Freezing point of -32 oC

60% Ethanol = Freezing point of -37 oC

I hope this info helps folk avoid paying excessive amounts for that blue water...

I use the concentrated stuff from lidl and its great in my opinion. It can be mixed according to the chart on the side of the container or used neat for protection down to -50!!.

It also has a not unpleasant smell which is very useful after a whiffy passenger departs the vehicle. Quick wash of the windscreen and they are forgotten....

I use the concentrated stuff from lidl and its great in my opinion. It can be mixed according to the chart on the side of the container or used neat for protection down to -50!!.

It also has a not unpleasant smell which is very useful after a whiffy passenger departs the vehicle. Quick wash of the windscreen and they are forgotten....

My new Mark IV had the same problem and I got a new one from Lexus Cost £60 I then removed the initial unit and dried it out in the airing cupboard for two weeks stuck it on eBay and sold it to someone in Germany would you believe, it worked fine he was convinced it was new.

Just a tip ;when you put the unit back in ,install the grommet to the tank and push the unit into the grommet it makes the job a thousand times easier.I did not touch the wheel arch instead I dropped the front part of the liner by unscrewing the two philips hexagon screws and the plastic fastener that combines with the engine undercover pull it down, it will bend and you are right underneath the unit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links