Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs430 Engine Hesitation. Any Clues?

The Swede

We got a 140000 mile GS430 here and, when you put your foot down from stationary revs, whether in gear or in neutral, the engine always hesitates for a second and then goes.

This is obviously very annoying when getting away at cross-roads as the car always waits for a second before suddenly shooting off.

If you accelerate gently from standstill, it all goes smoothly.

It revs pretty normally until 6000rpm though.

Any clues where to start me search?

a dirty MAF sensor, air filter, and engine oil could increase fuel consumption. even a faulty or bad O2 sensor could give the engine wrong signals/reading which will result in it chuking in more fuel than needed to do the same amount of work but before you start throwing money at it have it code read first for any errors and that would give you an idea of where to start looking!!

When I were having engine hesitation issues, even after cleaning the MAF it didn't make a difference until I reset the ECU. Of course it then will relearn driving technique from the beginning

• 2 weeks later...

This is a normal with the V8 lexus. I read lots of reviews when I bought mine about 3 years back and they all said, great car, great power but its built for the Exectutive market at around £42,000.

I remember one road test which said "dont try to beat the boy racers from a standing start, but give them a wave 5 seconds later"

Mine has done 87000 and fully serviced with genuine plugs, oil etc and I know from experience that it will not fly away from a standing start.

My pal asked for a drive recently after 4 new tyres and MOT pass. We went onto long, quiet road and I told him to boot it but be prepared.

He hit it and thought nothing was happening until it took off and reached 70 in seconds. He said he has never driven a car with so much acceleration.

Dont worry about the slow start, its normal for that model.

Strange, I rarely get beat off the lights by anything, I even give the big boys a bit of a suprise and by then it is too late for them to react. I would say that the auto box is way too slow to respond when giving it some beans. I tend to use the stick to keep the car in the livelier rev ranges, the reaction and power then is immense.

Never found mine to be slow off the lights either even when in D and not using power mode. 66k FLSH. Since moving to the coast I tend to be a little more conservative with my driving but do enjoy giving it a "clearout" now and again and never find any hesitation from the engine at all. Even moving off with a very light foot seems to leave others a good way back.

Strange, I rarely get beat off the lights by anything, I even give the big boys a bit of a suprise and by then it is too late for them to react. I would say that the auto box is way too slow to respond when giving it some beans. I tend to use the stick to keep the car in the livelier rev ranges, the reaction and power then is immense.

My other car also has a V8 and Auto and sure beats the GS430 from any speed :lol:

Problem did get solved though by cleaning the MAF. The car really had a serious hesitation and now goes straight in revs when you hit the accelerator. :)

My other car also has a V8 and Auto and sure beats the GS430 from any speed :lol:

Problem did get solved though by cleaning the MAF. The car really had a serious hesitation and now goes straight in revs when you hit the accelerator. :)

Just what we like to hear

• Like 1