Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Wheels And Tyres

jeffreyt

planning to get a new set of wheels to replace the ugly 'dustbin lid ' alloys currently on the SC430 and wondering whether to go all the way and replace the run flats with standard tyres.

I'm sure lots of you guys have switched to standard tyres so how did you get round the spare/no spare problem ?

Also,if I change to non Lexus alloys ie no low tyre pressure sender,does the low tyre pressure light stay on all the time ? If it does I'm guessing it can be disconnected .

Thanks

I don't have run flats on the SC and the GS has the gas tank where the spare used to be.

My SC came with a repair kit and pump.

Both cars now have the aerosol puncture repair cans.

Apparently it's 128,000 miles on average to get a puncture

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wouldnot have run flats. Dont like them at all.

I do have an out of date container of gunk and the lexus air pump but i have been told its hardly likley to get you far. So i rely on breakdown cover.

Its probably going to be required in any case. So why not just rely on it for punctures that rarely ever happen ?

We've change the wheels the sensor couldn't be fitted to the new ones so we've disconnected the leads under the centre column have run flats but planning on changing them too soon!!! Just will check tyre pressures weekly in the mean time as I only do about 50/60 miles a week anyway

We've change the wheels the sensor couldn't be fitted to the new ones so we've disconnected the leads under the centre column have run flats but planning on changing them too soon!!! Just will check tyre pressures weekly in the mean time as I only do about 50/60 miles a week anyway

My son has had run flats on a Mini works and a Porche Boxter they were awful. he changed the Boxter even he admitted it was back breaking.

I would think the 430 would be able to cope better with them?

• 1 month later...

still looking for some new wheels,so many to choose from.

Will be getting 'normal' tyres so anybody know where I can get a spacesaver spare wheel for the SC430 , I'm guessing I will get robbed if I go into a main dealer.

Checking the tyres today and one of the valves pushed pushed right into the rim with loud noise of air rushing out.

Luckily there is a KwikFit just along the A4 and they put a new standard valve in and rebalanced wheel for a tenner which I thought was very reasonable as they tend to get bad press on most forums.

Now of course I have the sensor light on all the time:anyone know which fuse this runs through ?

Here's a link to disconnect the sensor if u wish to do so:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-430/189740-how-to-disable-tire-pressure-monitoring-tpm-system-9.html

I enquired about non run flat tyres looking at around 1k for four decent tyres - Bridgestone or Continental!!!

This reminds me I need to do a tyre pressure inspection now I've no warning light set up!!!!

thanks Michelle,you're a star ,I would never have found this link.

Those tyres sound expensive ,had you thought of going for a more 'budget ' tyre ?

Depends on your annual mileage and type of driving but my initial impression is that there are some reasonable budget tyres out there for around half the 1k you looking at.

thanks Michelle,you're a star ,I would never have found this link.

Those tyres sound expensive ,had you thought of going for a more 'budget ' tyre ?

Depends on your annual mileage and type of driving but my initial impression is that there are some reasonable budget tyres out there for around half the 1k you looking at.

• 2 years later...

I believe I still have a set of those wheels in my shed and I think I also have a chrome set of the wheel covers (dustbin lids) boxed in the garage somewhere.

Make me an offer if you want them.

Looking at the posts, no it wasn't aimed at you RayKhan it was jeffreyt being naughty :)

It's a thankless task being a mod :)

It is a thankless task but deep down you know we all appreciate your efforts.

I am sure everyone on this thread will agree Steve is a great mod.

Selling is not allowed unless you are a Gold Member. If found you are selling by PM you can be banned.

http://www.goldmembers.co.uk/

If this is directed at me, I am a Gold Member and have been for years

No it wasn't. It was JefferyT who isn't a Gold Member. Mike.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if any Toyota/Lexus 17" space saver will fit my 2003 SC430. For example Supra Mk4 and can you get the tool cover that would fit it once the space saver is in.

I'm a new member as just replaced my mk4 Supra for the SC430, so any help will be appreciated

what I've done is cut the cover to fit around the space saver wheel once fitted .

I bought my wheel off eBay it was listed as fitting a GS300 but it fitted fine as you can see in the photo.

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2843.JPG

I split my time on this site and the "lexus-world.com" for SC430 help and advise .

• 2 months later...

Thanks Bob and Steve.

This is the first time I've been on since September. Bob, are there any other bits needed to secure the spacesaver. Steve, do you still have the spare spacesaver .

Apologies if I don't reply straight away. I find it difficult doing all this 'posts' and things even getting on to the site