Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fog Lights Starting To Pee Me Right Off!

petayV8

When i bought my IS the car had been fitted with nice new fogs, cost the previous over over 100 quid i saw on the invoice. However the bulbs were totally siezed but i managed to get them out with a clamp. Replaced the bulbs but ever since ive put new ones in the bloody things are fogging up, one worse than the other and had water in it! so i took them back out washed them out, dried them. they looked as good as new. I replaced the holes with new sealing tape (self amalgamating tape) but they just keep fogging up still. Its really starting to pee me off because they look aweful and i hate it things not perfect! plus there nearly new and am worried ive buggered them somehow. Gonna have another look at them today and maybe order some rubber bungs for the holes, maybe the tapes not giving a seal....

HATE the IS front fogs, what a total nightmare! I've had 3 sets so far through fogging up, getting water in, rusting, bulbs seizing. Now the off side one is at it again. I've managed to source a pair of late spec dark ones now, but fearful of fitting them. Was hoping I could find a solution to the problems before I fit them!

I know! its the 3rd or 4th time ive taken them out and cleaned them up, but everytime i put them back in same prob. Ive ordered some rubber test tube bungs for the exit holes and have 2x new bulbs with new gaskets and to prevent corrosion im putting sandwich bags over the back of them! Will let you know if it works, if it does will do a write up for others. If it doesnt I cbb anymore! lol

Could experiment by putting those lil silicone bags in them overnight with a bulb in to make it airtight, leave for a night or two, take the bag out and quickly put the bulb back in as to not let much air in. And then reseal... ?

I've fixed mine with no further problems.

Take the fog light off the car, most likely the bulb is corroded and stuck in place. Soak around the base of the bulb with Penetrating Fluid. Do whatever you need to remove the bulb but remember what way the bulb sits in the fog light unit as most likely you will wreck the tabs that hold the bulb in place. Pipe grips will get a good grip on the bulb and help get it out.

Once you get the bulb out you need to give everything a real good clean to get rid of all the corrosion and dirt inside. There are two short rubber tubes on the back and base of the unit, pull these off and take the gauze off the holes,refit the tubes. That is important as that gauze prevents the proper air flow so it needs binned.

Make sure everything is properly clean and totally bone dry. When it is put a thin layer of grease around the inside of the tube that the bulb sits inside, this will prevent the corrosion in future. Then put a ring of silicone around the edge of the hole and set the bulb in place in the same position that it was in before being removed. Once you have it in position add a further layer of silicone across the base of the bulb completely sealing the whole base. Add a further seal around the edge of the fog light lens.

Allow the silicone to cure for at least 24 hours and then refit to your car.

I done this last year, both my fog lights were full of condensation and water and this has fixed the problem fully.

FoglightIS200_zps46f42e5d.jpg

I've fixed mine with no further problems.

Take the fog light off the car, most likely the bulb is corroded and stuck in place. Soak around the base of the bulb with Penetrating Fluid. Do whatever you need to remove the bulb but remember what way the bulb sits in the fog light unit as most likely you will wreck the tabs that hold the bulb in place. Pipe grips will get a good grip on the bulb and help get it out.

Once you get the bulb out you need to give everything a real good clean to get rid of all the corrosion and dirt inside. There are two short rubber tubes on the back and base of the unit, pull these off and take the gauze off the holes,refit the tubes. That is important as that gauze prevents the proper air flow so it needs binned.

Make sure everything is properly clean and totally bone dry. When it is put a thin layer of grease around the inside of the tube that the bulb sits inside, this will prevent the corrosion in future. Then put a ring of silicone around the edge of the hole and set the bulb in place in the same position that it was in before being removed. Once you have it in position add a further layer of silicone across the base of the bulb completely sealing the whole base. Add a further seal around the edge of the fog light lens.

Allow the silicone to cure for at least 24 hours and then refit to your car.

I done this last year, both my fog lights were full of condensation and water and this has fixed the problem fully.

FoglightIS200_zps46f42e5d.jpg

thanks for advice.already got bulbs out. Have new bulbs with new O rings. Just finished cleaning them inside and out. Look bran new again (for now) now I unserstood everything except about piping. Now I bined gause ages ago, now ive bought rubber bungs to make a seal, its my understanding that they must be air tight? Also not sure if your fogs are different to mine but the rubber things over tubing on mine have no chance of keeping water and muck out? I will be buying some silicone for around bulbs tho, good one. Dont trust those O rings.

Do not have the fog lights air tight! There has to be an airflow to keep the condensation and water to a minimum. Condensation will build up as the air will heat inside the unit and condensation will form when it hits the cold glass. If there is a vent it will allow the warm air to escape and will prevent a condensation build up. Exactly the same scenario as opening your bathroom window to clear the condensation off your window and mirror. If it's airtight then they will get condensation - think of a plastic bottle with the cap on left in the sun. What happens? Condensation inside!

The rubber tubes will keep the water out as long as they are turned to face downwards. It will be hard for them to get much water or dirt inside. The bottom hole will ensure that the water if it does get in, cannot build up.

Where the fog light units are situated they are protected by the inner plastic arch liners and the bottom under tray so there is little water or dirt can actually get to the back of the light units. Definitely get some silicone to seal the bulb in place. Hope this helps.

Do not have the fog lights air tight! There has to be an airflow to keep the condensation and water to a minimum. Condensation will build up as the air will heat inside the unit and condensation will form when it hits the cold glass. If there is a vent it will allow the warm air to escape and will prevent a condensation build up. Exactly the same scenario as opening your bathroom window to clear the condensation off your window and mirror. If it's airtight then they will get condensation - think of a plastic bottle with the cap on left in the sun. What happens? Condensation inside!

The rubber tubes will keep the water out as long as they are turned to face downwards. It will be hard for them to get much water or dirt inside. The bottom hole will ensure that the water if it does get in, cannot build up.

Where the fog light units are situated they are protected by the inner plastic arch liners and the bottom under tray so there is little water or dirt can actually get to the back of the light units. Definitely get some silicone to seal the bulb in place. Hope this helps.

It helps alot, thanks! but one problem, my fogs only came with 2 of those right angled rubber tubings, the smaller holes just had rubber rings, like this

2013-02-04_09-09-05_812_zpsbbc185e8.jpg

Right what ive done is bung up the small holes and leave open the large with the rubber tubing. Ive put silicone around bulb area. However im worried the stuff wont come off if i need to replace the bulbs?

So far so good. Its been 2 days and fogs staying clear. Ive also put sandwich bags over the back of them with cable ties around, keep the water away! Thanks for everyones help. I love the LOC even if my wife does make fun of me for being on here all the time! Hope this thread helps others with this common prob

I'm confident you will have no more problems with water getting in or condensation. Now that a proper air flow has been established and the bottom vent hole will also prevent water collecting.

Like i said i had to seal up the lower small holes because it seems im missing the right angles rubber tubing for those. If i left it exposed i can imagine water would splash straight in. However leaving the larger holes open seems to be enough ventilation luckily and after a good clean inside and out they dont half look bad :D

2013-02-06_16-01-07_117_zpsb1e38c9f.jpg

2013-02-06_16-01-32_230_zpsbb094846.jpg

2013-02-06_16-01-18_862_zpsecf1fc70.jpg

Mine were terrible when I bought the car, full of dirt and badly corroded. Just to tidy it up a little, I took them out and sprayed them over with satin black paint so they just look like infills. Six months on I've still not bothered replacing them, and to be honest with all the trouble they cause I'm not sure if I'll bother hehe!

Mine were terrible when I bought the car, full of dirt and badly corroded. Just to tidy it up a little, I took them out and sprayed them over with satin black paint so they just look like infills. Six months on I've still not bothered replacing them, and to be honest with all the trouble they cause I'm not sure if I'll bother hehe!

I suppose that looked better! well luckily i saw they were replaced on mine in 2007 from a old invoice although they were still pretty bad All i did was poor warm soupy water into the exit holes, and repeat. rinse with just water, then dried out over 48 hours.

2013-01-31_10-51-43_489_zps0f94beb7.jpg

2013-01-31_10-53-09_38_zps25fd74af.jpg

2013-01-31_10-55-27_595_zps9b75ffe8.jpg

2013-01-31_11-07-48_108_zps36d3395b.jpg

2013-01-31_11-11-50_142_zps1e6f2675.jpg

2013-02-01_21-36-54_539_zps31d7ca8d.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links