Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wet Footwell Rx400H

Hi - hope someone can help. noticed when i got into the car the other day that the drivers floor was soaking wet. we had a lot of rain but any idea why or how it could be getting in?

thanks

Gareth

Hi Gazm

I have recently had the same problem with my RX300, after hours in the garage finally discovered that there was a crack in the bodywork underneath the rear bumper!

Some of the more common thing that causes this could be that there is a leak in the sunroof if you have one. I would check that then see if it was coming from there. I would check to see if the rear bumper has any scratches or small dents, mine only had a very minor scratch but the damage was underneath, my mechanic said someone must of hit my rear bumper and even though there was no visible damage it was damaged underneath. Hope this gives you a starting block

Dbs

This applies to the LS400 but may also be relevant to the RX and concerns the sunroof drain pipes, there is normally one in each corner of the sunroof frame work and they can become blocked.The water then overflows into the cabin.

Thick Nylon strimmer cord is good for unblocking.

Check for debris especially leaves in the scuttle panel around the wipers, there are normally drain holes in this around the wiper spindles that can get blocked.

If there is also water in the rear footwells there is a grommit under the rear seat base where electrical wiring passes through which may become dislodged and then allows water to enter the cabin.

If the windscreen has ever been replaced there have been past problems with correct sealing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2007 RX400h which is presently at the Edinburgh Lexus garage as both my front footwells are absolutely soaking wet. They have already discovered its not the sunroof and have now had to take out the front seats and centre console to try and track down the problem. I've not had the car for 6 months year and was under the impression that the Lexus warranty was almost bulletproof but have been told this may not be covered as it may be wear and tear. I'd be interested in hearing from you guys where I stand in this as surely if they've had to take out seats etc this can't be common? Appreciate all advice on how to deal with this if they state it's not coverd.

Thanks.

I'm assuming they have checked the obvious besides the sunroof such as the sealing on the windscreen ( has this ever been replaced?) and the drains in the trim around the windscreen wiper arms ( get blocked with leaves and then.overflow possibly into the cabin filter and from there into the cabin).

I also read somewhere about a displaced grommet in the rear floor section under the seat base causing water ingress but this mainly affected the rear footwells.

From what other members have mentioned the warranty company doesn't like customers contacting Lexus Customer service and will with some pressure normally fold if the claim is initially rejected.

Could you please come back with the cause once it has been found as this information may help other members in the future.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've been told it wil probably be Monday before I know more. I'll certainly let everyone know what they diagnose. If they tell me it's down to wear and tear and therefore not covered by the warranty do I have to pay before writing to the Lexus Customer Care service? I'll be really annoyed if its to do with door frames etc after they've spent a few hours taking out the front seats and centre console.

i havent got round to looking into this further but coincidentially some git knocked the front bumper just before we noticed it so DBS 's theroy could be right. i'm going to investigatet this weekend but do let me know if you find any other possible causes / solutions.

cheers

Gareth

I had a similar problem but in the rear passengers footwell. It was running from the rear boot well across the rear axle and into the rear passenger footwell, helped by our driveway being on a slight forward incline. Eventually traced the leak to rear the nearside bodywork below the light cluster. At this point 2 pieces of bodywork overlap but are not welded. There is also no sealant across the join, and the gap is only about 1mm. I tried mastic to no avail so put a thin layer of car body filler across the gap, and since then, touch wood, no more water.

Hope this helps :-)

Hi I am having the same problem with my lexus. The passenger footwell is soaked and the car is smelling like an old welly.

It seems to be worse when its been washed in the car wash or if its been, really wet weather. I can'see any signs of water ingress. noting else is obvious. I hoovered out the cabin last night and i can see it pooling slightly below the mat holes and also the seat belt receiver on the floor.

I want to get it sorted to trade the car in, as no garage is going to giving me full trade in value with the car in this state. The carpets (cream) are discoloured as well.

Anyone know whats causing this? Im going to put it into the garage later this week to see if they can find anything. Pointers would be appreciated.

Hi I am having the same problem with my lexus. The passenger footwell is soaked and the car is smelling like an old welly.

It seems to be worse when its been washed in the car wash or if its been, really wet weather. I can'see any signs of water ingress. noting else is obvious. I hoovered out the cabin last night and i can see it pooling slightly below the mat holes and also the seat belt receiver on the floor.

I want to get it sorted to trade the car in, as no garage is going to giving me full trade in value with the car in this state. The carpets (cream) are discoloured as well.

Anyone know whats causing this? Im going to put it into the garage later this week to see if they can find anything. Pointers would be appreciated.

Subject is well covered on the forum - use search. There are also pointers in this thead, have you tried them? Try the sun roof drain holes first.

I'll let you know when I hopefully get my car back tomorrow.

Got car back today and they reported that the leak had been caused by a dodgy window seal in the front. I was informed that my Lexus warranty did not cover this but.............as I'd not had the car for long Edinburgh Lexus would cover the cost. This is a huge relief as they had taken out the front seats and consul, then removed all the carpets to completely dry them out. All in all they had the car for 6 days to check it thoroughly and make sure it's now watertight. The service I received has been absolutely 1st class, it's good to see there are still some dealerships out there that seem to care about customer service.

As I was reading this thread I was thinking the windscreen.

If you ever get a new screen fitted it is always worth getting out the hose pipe to make sure it is sealed. Even then the seals can give way after a time - going over bumps etc.

By window do you mean door window or windscreen

The reason I asked the above question is that the windscreen is a known place for leaks and I am surprised at the Lexus dealership going to the expense and time to remove seats etc. You would think a dealership would know better.

By window do you mean door window or windscreen

The reason I asked the above question is that the windscreen is a known place for leaks and I am surprised at the Lexus dealership going to the expense and time to remove seats etc. You would think a dealership would know better.

Yes, it did seem a bit strange to me and I was all keen to get stroppy when they said it wasn't covered by my warranty, however as previously posted Edinburgh Lexus picked up the tab. Maybe they realised that if I fought it they would have lost as they didn't need to remove the seats etc. ashes far as I'm concerned at least it's been fixed and everything has been beautifully valeted.

My car has been in the local garage since Thursday this week to see if they can find the leak thats causing the saturation of the rear passenger footwell.. I was away on Monday and Tuesday and came back on Wednesday, tried to start the car on Thursday morning to take my daughter to school and the Battery was dead. Battery is less than one yr old.

My other half jumped started me and I dropped the car off at the garage. Thought as i was booking it in for the batttery I may as well have them look at this leak in the passenger footwell, my car is soaking. We did have snow and sleet over the past few days but the car hasnt moved from my driveway.

I printed off the list of possible faults which might have caused the leak (recommended by all the other kind Lexus car owners) and the garage have worked there way through them. They have also had the door panels off as well.

God knows how much this is going to cost me!!

I read about a scraped bumper causing problems and mine was scraped slightly in the passenger rear and front drivers side and the footwells are both wet. This was fixed last Monday, so hopefully I will be able to tell soon whether all the stuff myself and the garage have tackled will sort this. Garage is holding on to the vehicle until Monday night to ensure Battery is ok and no further water is coming in.

Will report back with the findings.

I love my lexus but its really too expensive for a girl like me to own and maintain. But what would you buy to replace it? A Hyundai IX35? Vauxhall Antara??? They dont really come close do they?

If you are thinking of changing, you should take a look at the car reviews on whatcar.com, or the Top Gear.The Antara is apparently pretty poor and is a rebadged Chevrolet Captiva... which was previously a Daewoo.

I think that if you want something smaller and cheaper to run, without compromising on quality, refinement and dealership professionalism, you should look at a Honda CRV.

Hi

Got my car back today from my local garage.

My car is a 2005 rx300 and has been LPG converted. Turns out my local garage has went through all my list of common complaints and they said that when the car was converted a hole is drilled to run the cabling in and this hole was not sealed up. Thats the only place they can find water coming in. Cost to find it - £30.

Fingers crossed this is what it is but only time will tell. The garage had had my car since Thursday.

Thanks for the comments about the Honda CRV I'll check that out on autotrader, top gear etc...

• 10 months later...

hi all

After the inital problem, summer arrived and the problem went away. its now back and following on from more research and some tests, its clear that the issue is a blocked sunroof drain pipe on the drivers side. i tried yesterday to clear it but th wire i was using was not srong enough to clear it. i wondered if anyone knew of anything I coul purchase from a B&Q or similar?

also (i think i know the answer but) when you put something through the drains, will it come out at the bottom and be visible under the car?

thanks a lot

Gareth

Wire coat hanger?

Thanks Duncan. I wasn't sure if that would rip the pipe? Also been trying to see where the hole is under the car (not helped with it being so dirty!) but wondered if I should see whatever input through at the bottom.

Cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links