Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everyone,

58 Reg, 65k mileage.

I seem to have recently developed sluggish acceleration in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. My foot is flat on the floor in some instances and the car just not respond for at lest 5-7 seconds and then it accelerates as you would expect. This was on level roads (not up hill) and was mainly occurring in 2nd and 3rd gears. For example I was in 2nd gear, foot flat on the floor and the car did not accelerate, not even one mile an hour - for a 5-7 second period where it then finally sped up. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Would a low engine temperature possible cause this? My temperature gauge has never ever reached midway (50%) point. It's always been around the 40-5%.

Any info would be great!

Thanks for your help!

Alex

Could be the EGR valve is clogged up. I had this a couple of times and not long after the "check vsc" warning and limp mode scenario would kick in. One time it killed the cat and would have been a £2,000 - £2,500 repair as the car was >1 year out of warranty, but Lexus covered it as goodwill gesture (it probably helped that the car was serviced by Lexus / Toyota though).

To avoid a repeat of this and any potential head gasket / DPF/ DMF failures I now drive a Toyota GT86 - miss the Mark Levinson, reversing camera and some of the refinement - but good fun and better on fuel. Will probably return to Lexus in a couple of years time once the new IS is bedded in and if they do bring out a couple version as hinted.

Quite likely it could be the EGR a bit clogged which then causes the valve on the end not to function properly.

There are many threads on here about cleaning the EGR and even a Youtube vid to watch if you're in any doubt.

Do you do mostly short journeys?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses.

I now do mostly short journeys and most of it in slow moving traffic (there's a 3-4 mile stretch on the motorway that I do which gets my into 6th briefly).

I've looked at the EGR cleaning threads. Not sure I have the technical confidence to carry that out... would something like wynn's formula gold diesel treatment help?

It is very easy to remove and clean.....watch the youtube vid.

If the Wynn's says thats what its for then i guess you can try it. Nothing beats removal and clean for instant change.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links