Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 300 Auto Box Advice - Gear Change Advice And Sport Mode

SachinC

No tow bar. I think it's an age thing. Hot/cold/age - all of that takes its toll.

Its at the dealer this morning - its not a big job, should have it back later this afternoon when I get time to pick it up so will report back on how the gearbox feels and colour of new oil.

I used to have a Hyundai Coupe 2.0 SE Auto, when the dealer did the oil change at 50k/5years, to be honest I didn't notice a single thing!

Watch this space.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting bunch of replies, can i throw another question in here if it's not rude, when i change to manual mode in my IS300 Sportcross it only registers gears 2 3 4 & 5, 1 has never registered, it drives fine so i've never queried it.

Very interesting bunch of replies, can i throw another question in here if it's not rude, when i change to manual mode in my IS300 Sportcross it only registers gears 2 3 4 & 5, 1 has never registered, it drives fine so i've never queried it.

my guess will be it was programmed that way to save the transmission. if 1st was made available it will max out so quick you would not have time to react in time to change to second gear so Lexus thought they will leave 1st to be handled by the computer as it will be 99.9 % accurate when it comes to when to shift than us humans. that only leave 2, 3 4 and 5 for us to play with.

Got my car late afternoon. Checked the oil, it's clear red just like a diluted cherry coke.

The gear changes are smooth as butter...tried to replicate the 'take it slow' approach and the gears change 1,2,3,4,5 as I can feel via the car and rev counter. Kick down kicks in quick and car goes like a rocket - it now makes a turbo noise when it goes through the gears, I think the whizz could be the air flow / stock air filter.

I checked the gearbox oil dipstick, can't work out how much is in there as the stick is 1m or more long and it's a real bugger to take in and out as I assume it goes into various twists and turns.

P,R,N,D happens smooth with no slight clunk I used to get - wasn't noticeable prechange but post-change its like new.

Anyway, we'll worth the change. By a local Main Agent too!

Second gear is an overdrive of first. Many of the early IS300's were recalled for an ECU reflash to fix the hesitation. Most still show the hesitation as the OP described. My 02 had a sticker under the hood that stated the recall had been done.

Does the IS200/300 have an adaptive box and can the values be reset?

yes it is adaptive. Its on the IS200/300 spec sheet on this website and also when top gear tested it they tell you about the adaptive tranny. im guessing just a ECU reset will reset the values? My wife doesnt drive the car much but when she does she complains about the auto box! i tried to explain its learnt my habbits! :driving:

yes it is adaptive. Its on the IS200/300 spec sheet on this website and also when top gear tested it they tell you about the adaptive tranny. im guessing just a ECU reset will reset the values? My wife doesnt drive the car much but when she does she complains about the auto box! i tried to explain its learnt my habbits! :driving:

Is there any information out there about how the tranny "learns" our driving habits?

I'm very interested in the subject.

What exactly does it "learn"?

Argento

Is there any information out there about how the tranny "learns" our driving habits?

Argento

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/engine-and-drivetrain/54203-how-exactly-does-the-ecu-work/

Petay,

Good video but I would not trust that as he made a couple of shortcuts.

1) you must never mix anything else but the fluid.

2) you must use lexus approved auto fluid not just any fluid

3) before you take it for a drive, you have to put the cars through p,r,n,d and then recheck levels before taking on the open road.

Although 90% correct, I would not follow it word for word.

Regards,

Sachin

Second gear is an overdrive of first. Many of the early IS300's were recalled for an ECU reflash to fix the hesitation. Most still show the hesitation as the OP described. My 02 had a sticker under the hood that stated the recall had been done.

Yes! I had forgotten about this, and forgotten to check with the dealer on mine, deffo done in the US and you have a sticker...I want one !!!

Yes! I had forgotten about this, and forgotten to check with the dealer on mine, deffo done in the US and you have a sticker...I want one !!!

The dealer had put the sticker showing that the recall/reflash had been done. You could have them check their computer for your car's history and see if it was done.

Argento

http://www.tundrasol...s-the-ecu-work/

This looks exactly what I'm looking for.

Many thanks.

I'll study it carefully.

Argento

Petay,

Good video but I would not trust that as he made a couple of shortcuts.

1) you must never mix anything else but the fluid.

2) you must use lexus approved auto fluid not just any fluid

3) before you take it for a drive, you have to put the cars through p,r,n,d and then recheck levels before taking on the open road.

Although 90% correct, I would not follow it word for word.

Regards,

Sachin

points taken. however it is a easy process compared to most auto boxes, as you have to change the filter and re-seal the sump in most cases.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links