Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 300 Auto Box Advice - Gear Change Advice And Sport Mode

SachinC

Hi,

I bought an IS300 2002 with 41k on the clock with 11 Lexus stamps - never missed a beat in regard to main agent services. I am pleased with the car.

Previously I had a 2006 Hyundai Coupe 2.0SE Auto, so it's a major leap but I was happy with the 4-speed Korean box for 6+years.

I need advice re the auto box in the IS300. I have only done 20 odd miles since I bought the car a fortnight ago, but if I take the car slow from standstill by pressing the gas 0.5cm (or lightly), it changes into 2nd with a slight pause. If I drive normally, it changes fine. It's as if its slightly unsure to change to 2nd, i guess because I am taking it slow. Kickdown and other stuff incl manual override paddle shift is fine.

If I do the same as the above, i.e. take it slow from standstill in ECR PWR mode (or Sport mode), the changes are bang on fine and I don't notice a thing.

Has anyone come across the above in their IS 300? I am Mr Finicky, so want to make sure there isn't a gearbox issue somewhere!!!

When and why would someone put their car into Sport mode anyway? Just want to understand is the Sport mode for town driving, motorway....??

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Sachin

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here are some links, I am not sure how often it is meant to be changed, someone else might have a better idea on this

a link on this Forum

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=63105

on a different forum they mention the process here, but make sure you use the correct fluid (Toyota) and not a Dexron....

http://my.is/forums/f65/is300-auto-transmission-drain-refill-flush-340994/

Mine usually does it when it is warm and in traffic jams ... hasnt done it for about 5 months now to be honest.

So I am stuck in a traffic jam and I want to accelerate slowly... it will stick on the first gear and then it will change with a delay to the second ... thinking that you bumped on something ...

it only does it from 1st to 2nd.

But I am convinced it is just an oil change that will cure it. After all the car is 11yo now.

I think Panya may have a point - when I try really hard to take it slow, that's when the split second delay happens from gear 1 to 2.

KentIS300 and others have a point - maybe my oil needs changing in my auto box - but I heard these are long-life sealed units? Where's the dipstick for the auto box on the IS300?

Any idea or experience from main dealers in regard to how much they charge for an auto box oil refresh?

Cheers.

Check your dipstick. look at the colour and smell the oil. Make sure the oil is red and clean. smell it for signs of burning. The dipstick is to the left of the Battery.

ATF1_zpscfd94140.jpg

This video will also help

Does the IS200/300 have an adaptive box and can the values be reset?

yes it is adaptive. Its on the IS200/300 spec sheet on this website and also when top gear tested it they tell you about the adaptive tranny. im guessing just a ECU reset will reset the values? My wife doesnt drive the car much but when she does she complains about the auto box! i tried to explain its learnt my habbits! :driving:

Yes, I do mean ECT PWR button - when do you actually turn it on? I know it makes the gearchange quicker and i guess it uses more fuel than without, but just want to make sure from other drivers out there of the IS 300.

Will get my fluid checked. I phoned my main agent to get a flavour of cost, they said it will be £85 (I guess plus fluid cost) to get it done. Apparently it doesn't have a filter but a seive - is that correct?

Cheers.

Yes, I do mean ECT PWR button - when do you actually turn it on? I know it makes the gearchange quicker and i guess it uses more fuel than without, but just want to make sure from other drivers out there of the IS 300.

Will get my fluid checked. I phoned my main agent to get a flavour of cost, they said it will be £85 (I guess plus fluid cost) to get it done. Apparently it doesn't have a filter but a seive - is that correct?

Cheers.

the is300 has a oil strainer i recently changed the fluid and strainer on my is300

That's it, a strainer not a seive!

What year and mileage is your car on? Was that work done at the main agents? Why did you need to change your gbox oil?

Were there any symptoms prior to the oil change?

Thanks.

The lady had an IS300 for 3 years and I can somehow recognise the issue.

1. Yes, change the oil. It makes the gearbox smoother.

2. This engine is not a really torquey engine low in revs. The gearbox hence might feel a tad slow / unresponsive in normal position. I drove this car virtually always in PWR-mode. It just gave the car much more of the immediate response I wanted. The current GS430 for instance never needs to be in this position, simply because the much larger engine delivers a lot of torque low down in any gear.

I had the same problem with my 3.2V6 Mercedes S class. Again, an engine with not an abundance of torque for the car. Accelerating slowly would mean the gerabox would hang on to 1st or 2nd a bit longer than you'd want sometimes.

If you drive the car as a daily, it will adapt to your driving indeed. Problem is when it's the wife driving it indeed and then you get into it...

What year and mileage is your car on? Was that work done at the main agents? Why did you need to change your gbox oil?

Thanks.

Slow changing of gears, not dropping down gears as quick as you'd want, "clonking" as you engage a gear, ... All the classics.

Why you need to change it? Simples, an automatic works with an oil filled torque converter and the power from the flywheel is actually transferred via a this rather than via a dry clutch. As this oil "wears out", it loses its qualities to support the transfer of power. Also, as it gets dirty, little particles start to get in between all moving parts making the running rougher.

The PWR option just holds the revs higher between the automatic changes when in Auto mode (D) ... goes closer the limiter and has more sharp changes ... favouring the peformance rather the comfort.

I do not think that PWR does makes any difference when you use the buttons on the steering wheel on the M mode..

Thanks.

the car is a 2004 and has done 167.000 kilometers or a bit over 100.000 miles

i changed it myself and it made changes much smoother

but i decided to change it because the oil was so thin and smelled burning

I have to kind of disagree here about the engine not being torque(y) in the low revs, the throttle responsive is instant. Well instant enough to surprise a friend who had a Porsche 911 Carrera (07) model (with the dreadful tiptronic gearbox) ofcourse he was only surprised on how respoinsive the IS was from standstill ... no further match lol ... (for the reference he now has a 911 Turbo (11) model and ... wow that is what I am only saying electrifying lol)

I just think an oil change is over due if you cannot see in the history of the car ... like any oil regardless mileage even if the car is low on mileage the time has past it... so you will see a benefit if you care about the car to change the oil with fresh as time is not a friend on this case. :)

P.S. The gearbox on our Mercedes CL500 which is an older car 2000model and it is a 5 Speed auto has no hesitation or problems, the car has done 145.000miles now and the oil never changed. But again it is a different design etc, plus it is a much more powerful engine.

OK, apologies, Mister Ken. The IS300 engine is torquey, but in comparison to other cars, with larger engines, it might not be as torquey and this might result in me feeling as if it does not respond as well as it should. :lol:

Can't compare anything with the good old 5-speed auto from Merc though. Even the current 7-speed does not come anywhere close.

Had torque converter just packing up on my S63: 65000 miles. ***** of MB UK call it "normal wear in tear"... :angry: