Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 300 Auto Box Advice - Gear Change Advice And Sport Mode

SachinC

OK, apologies, Mister Ken. The IS300 engine is torquey, but in comparison to other cars, with larger engines, it might not be as torquey and this might result in me feeling as if it does not respond as well as it should. :lol:

Can't compare anything with the good old 5-speed auto from Merc though. Even the current 7-speed does not come anywhere close.

Had torque converter just packing up on my S63: 65000 miles. ***** of MB UK call it "normal wear in tear"... :angry:

hahaha no worries I will not go in a debate going on how superior supercar that 300 is ... wink wink hahahaha

But I must agree I think the Merc 5 speed is a really smooth box. However they pack up as well ... never heard on an S or a CL class though.

The 7 Speed ones they just cannot make up their mind on what gear they want to be in ..... The first automatic I had driven was back in Scotland visiting family... and went to rent a Punto (Europcar) and .. they did not have it the next available car they had and I would not pay anything extra was an E200 Elegance (07 model!!!) LOL Auto,. ... loved the car but everytime you found a slight incline!! it was kicking down!! no engine power!! aarrggg

The most annoying I found with the IS300 is when you are on a cruise control on an open uphill bend going with 70mph... and it decides to downshift ... scares the **** of me ... and sometimes it might down**** two gears down ... depending on how steep the uphill is ... lol. No matter how many times it happens I am always not prepared lol

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kent I thought u already hav k & n intake ?

Yes my car has K&N Typhoon intake since I bought it. But I never thought to link the pause in the very occasional 1 --> 2 nd gear with the intake and the non correct aftemarket ECU mapping.

I also have a momentarily loss ... in the power when I accelerate fast and from 90 to 92mph and then picks up again just a dip in the RPM's... I am sure that will be related to the factory mapping and having an aftermarket intake solution... (K&N).

I am not that bothered for the time being, the plan is soon to get the Turbo kit and I will piggy back ECU and will remap ... so that should not be there then.

lol ...well I just want the pipework from eBay ... (GodSpeed) so have to come from US. And then from UK I will source the turbo and intercooler. Havent done the math yet but about £1500.00 I have in mind.

That will be parts only... allowance

oh yes this is the first thing I am going to do before I order anything.

Yes everything will be put installed by me and my mate (Who is a Mechanic) serviced all my cars now for many years so he agreed to it ;) the pipework costs about $300 but that includes a GodSpeed turbo I am not planning to use lol.

So then I have £1300 to spend on piggy back ECU, Turbo, Intercooler.

Not sure yet if they will be brand new or recon ...

Just worth mentioning that you should have a little spring behind the accelerator pedal, when you push on the pedal initially the spring compresses and dampens the throttle response....it is not an uncommon mod (esp in the US apparently) to block out this spring to give an instant response. I decided not to do this as it can cause wheelspin/tyre wear apparently, and i might whittle about telling the insurers too.

Interesting reading here.

I've just bought an is300, not really driven many miles yet, i've done about 90 since picking it up last thursday, need to get to grips with the auto box and manual mode as have never owned or driven an auto before. Bit too early for me to judge yet but i think i'll change the GB oil as well as have noticed a bit of hesitation as described in the original post.

How do i reset the ecu to 'learn' my driving style?

How do i reset the ecu to 'learn' my driving style?

hello mate just pull out your negative Battery terminal/wire for about 30mins, replug it in and job done. noticed most mentioned about auto box fluid needing change but no one has mentioned MAF sensor cleaning as this could cause hesitation or slugishness when dirty and could improve MPG aswell when cleaned.

Hi,

I am the original poster...glad to see this topic is 'hot'.

I checked my gearbox oil on my 41k 2002 IS300 Auto, it is a dark red - like a dark red wine colour and not transluscent.

I called my local dealer stealer who did my cambelt the other week, they will charge me around £85 for the change - apparently it needs a strainer too. is that a good price? Sounds very good to me!

Service man at the stealer said not all the oil can come out of the torque converter, so will drain best he can and reload with fresh oil.

When I asked what oil they use, he said that it will be the Lexus original stuff as you cannot mix and match due to oil remaining in the torque converter - i guess a cocktail will lead to issues.

Finally, what on earth is the MAF sensor???

Rgds,

Sachin

Mass Air Flow sensor mate. works out how much fuel gets chuck into your engine or how the car should respond depending on the amount of Air being drawn in. steps on how to do this below mate..

http://my.is/forums/f67/is300-cleaning-mass-air-flow-sensor-maf-340945/

What mpg do u guys see out of the is300? My NA supra with the 2jzge did around 18mpg round town and 23 with mixed motorway/town, does that sound about similar? (supra was manual tho)

depends how one drives but i range between 16mpg on a bad day in town(flooring it) and 20mpg on a good day in town driving...30 to 33 mpg on a long motoway cruise using cruise control. didnt buy for mpg either :driving:

That mpg then is as expected. I too am not 'that' bothered, my s13 only ever averaged 23.

Re cambelt change, mines at 71k 2005 car never been changed yet. The dealer said (and the manual) says 100k. Is that correc tor will the 8 yrs in use mean it needs doing asap?

I love how us Lexus owners think alike with MPG, i know so many ppl obsessed about their MPG and buying diesels etc, and im tired of hearing about it tbh. Its not even ppl cant afford to put petrol in their cars, just being tight arses lol

What mpg do u guys see out of the is300? My NA supra with the 2jzge did around 18mpg round town and 23 with mixed motorway/town, does that sound about similar? (supra was manual tho)

depends how one drives but i range between 16mpg on a bad day in town(flooring it) and 20mpg on a good day in town driving...30 to 33 mpg on a long motoway cruise using cruise control. didnt buy for mpg either :driving:

isnt your IS300 turbo'd? thats pretty good MPG....

Guys,

I think we are getting lost in a miriad of other discussions that are slightly off-topic.

Please refer to my post a few days ago that was lost in the fog...

I repeat it here:

-------------

I checked my gearbox oil on my 41k 2002 IS300 Auto, it is a dark red - like a dark red wine colour and not transluscent. It's not black like 12-15k mile engine oil would be, but still has its redness.

I called my local dealer stealer who did my cambelt the other week, they will charge me around £85 for the change - is that a good price? Sounds very good to me!

Service man at the stealer said not all the oil can come out of the torque converter, so will drain best he can and reload with fresh oil. He will just be draining the oil, topping it up with fresh stuff. Bring engine and gearbox to operating temp and then check the levels. He will then let it rest, bring car back to operating temp and re-check levels again.

As far as filter is concerned - there isn't one, hence hardly any parts used apart from oil and I assume sump washer. What exactly is the strainer - is it a non-servicable item?

When I asked what oil they use, he said that it will be the Lexus original stuff as you cannot mix and match due to oil remaining in the torque converter - i guess a cocktail will lead to issues.

-----------

Does the above sound right from people who have had experience with Auto Gearbox oil change on their IS 300?

TIA.

Sachin

I think so...it's going in tomorrrow so I will find out.

Don't forget I have had the cambelt done and other things so the dealer isn't doing me a huge favour as he's still making profit out of me...think about it, he's going to loosen a nut, leave my car on a ramp for 10 mins to drain most (obviously oil will be left in the valves, torque converter etc...) of the oil and then refill through the dipstick back to what it was. He will then start it up, go through the gears (P,R,N,D,2 etc...), stop the engine. Re-check levels, re-top up if necessary - and that's it!

So it's £40 oil and 30mins labour = £85!

Regards,

Sachin

Guys,

I think we are getting lost in a miriad of other discussions that are slightly off-topic.

Please refer to my post a few days ago that was lost in the fog...

I repeat it here:

-------------

I checked my gearbox oil on my 41k 2002 IS300 Auto, it is a dark red - like a dark red wine colour and not transluscent. It's not black like 12-15k mile engine oil would be, but still has its redness.

I called my local dealer stealer who did my cambelt the other week, they will charge me around £85 for the change - is that a good price? Sounds very good to me!

Service man at the stealer said not all the oil can come out of the torque converter, so will drain best he can and reload with fresh oil. He will just be draining the oil, topping it up with fresh stuff. Bring engine and gearbox to operating temp and then check the levels. He will then let it rest, bring car back to operating temp and re-check levels again.

As far as filter is concerned - there isn't one, hence hardly any parts used apart from oil and I assume sump washer. What exactly is the strainer - is it a non-servicable item?

-----------

Does the above sound right from people who have had experience with Auto Gearbox oil change on their IS 300?

TIA.

Sachin

Yes that sounds about right. They will only do a drain of the pan and refill. Not come across places in the UK that are able to do a full transmission flush so it will only change around 50% of the fluid.

If your fluid is dark red then it really should be changed. Transmission fluid isn't like engine oil, it doesn't suspend dirt within it so it should never go black however if it goes a dark colour and smells burnt then there is cause for concern and should be changed.

Do you have a tow bar on your vehicle? No reason why there should be a fluid issue at 41k unless it has been stressed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links