Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Noise At Startup

lexus707

A number of Lexus engine types are subject to engine noise at startup, below is the response from my local Lexus dealer.

We suspect the noise was where the oil has drained out of the VVTi gears causing a slight chatter until the oil pressure increases. There is a specific fault code relating to the VVTi gear which is not present on your vehicle. However the noise we heard was due to lack of oil in the VVTi gear so we would recommend the replacement of these. The estimate for repair would be £2106.31inc which is broken down to £1086.75+vat in labour and £668.50+vat in parts.

The case was logged by with Customer Relations at Lexus, ref xxxxxxxx but falls outside any goodwill.

As a side note the 07 GS450 had to have a new hybrid drive gearbox that with the engine noise leads me to advise stay clear of 06 to 08 GS450's

Hi,

I currently have a LS430, having just got rid off a 07 GS450H that had the problem with the VVTI gears.

The purpose of my blogging this issue is that I was about to buy a 07 LS460 when I found that owners were having the same problem.

My car stands idle for long periods of a time and I don't want it to sound like a tractor when it starts.

Here is a link to my video of the noise. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jf2cdr7m4lp8vza/Engine_Noise_At_Startup.mp4