Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a 2004 GS430 (2nd generation) fitted, as is usual, with the Generation 01 satnav system - the one that starts up with this screen:

Generation01_zps236e6f5f.jpg

and which "features" (sic) the Motion Lock on the satnav (where I can't set/change destination and much else while the car is moving) drives me nuts. Lexus is not my Mother. I know.

I tried all the cheats I could find online, tapping various parts of the screen in sequence. One did get me to an information/diagnostics screen, but there was definitely no override capability there

I also tried cutting one of the wires into the centre console (forget which, now) as per forum suggestions, but that too made no difference so I spliced it back.

I then gave up.

Now, years later, I've checked to see what's available, and found this:

beatsonicnt0202_zpsc3b68fb1.jpg

This "Beatsonic nt0202" looks suspiciously like a button switch which simply cuts one of the wires in the loom at the back of the centre console. If so, it is unlikely to fix the motion lock.

Is it likely to work on my GS?

£130.00 + delivery + possible HMRC charges and no guarantee it will do the job?

Sounds like a lot of money for a little convenience, plus is it a good idea to be able to fiddle with a Sat Nav on the move?

I would imagine that the motion lock out is controlled by a speed sensor input so removing that would do the same job if you can get hold of the wiring diagram.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for responding.

> is it a good idea to be able to fiddle with a Sat Nav on the move?

And pray why shouldn't my frontseat passenger be able to access the SatNav?

Furthermore, Lexus is not my Mother. I bought a car, not a nanny - didn't I? Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and a host of others don't treat customers for their luxury cars as if they were babies or idiots. So, why does Lexus? The mistake has probably cost Toyota many tens if not hundreds of millions of bucks already, as the webcounters on sites covering this issue (and lambasting Lexus) typically read into the hundreds of thousands or even millions of hits. When someone rear-ends me when I stop somewhere in desperation, having to input or change a destination, and I get whiplash, spinal injury or get killed, do you think that "is a good idea" instead? No, of course not. So, please, let's not get started on this one. :)

I do have a wiring diagram (obtained by email after a premium rate number, "Lexus Technical Helpline" @ £1.50/minute, 0906 6610062, found via http://techdoc.lexus-europe.com). Cutting the speed sensor input wire (I tried it - please see the original post) made no difference, which makes me think that the motion lock consults, or additionally consults, GPS data to determine whether or not the car is moving.

"Satisfaction Guaranteed - 30 day returns"... but how come I can't find any happy (or, for that matter, unhappy!) customers referring to this Beatsonic product either on this forum or on the competition? The website I found it on pretty strongly suggests it has been around for a while.

Any views, please?

Beatsonic are a well know brand, so I would imagine if they say it will work, I can't see why it wouldn't. Having said that, I haven't found the lockout annoying enough to want to spend that kind of cash on it to defeat it.

The Motion Lock has already cost me more than £150 in missed deadlines/appointments; I'm forever rushing, it seems. Check out:

http://www.lexusoverride.com

if you aren't aware how much angst this has caused (it's the same site as www.lexusisnotmymother.com )

But doesn't the Beatsonic look - from the packaging - very much like just a switch?

The Motion Lock has already cost me more than £150 in missed deadlines/appointments; I'm forever rushing, it seems. Check out:

http://www.lexusoverride.com

if you aren't aware how much angst this has caused (it's the same site as www.lexusisnotmymother.com )

But doesn't the Beatsonic look - from the packaging - very much like just a switch?

Yeah, I know it rattles a lot of cages. Luckily for me, I'm never in that much of a rush.

Indeed, it does look like a switch.

You betcha it rattles a lot of cages!

I discovered the fault (to me, it is a fault - the fact that it is intentional makes it an even worse fault!) a couple days after buying my GS430....

I was all cooing over Lexus excellence in pretty much every department - and then I found the motion lock.

At first, I couldn't believe it.

Like, how stoooooopid could they possibly be?

Trying to be this smart.

So, if trying to be smart, why not go the whole hog? There's a weight detector in the front passenger seat (used, presumably, so as to know when to set the "passenger seatbelt not fitted" warning light flashing. So, if they can tell if there's a front seat passenger, why not override the navigation motion lock when there is?

What's next? Refuse to let the ignition work if a BMW sales brochure is found in the cockpit?

Letting lawyers run the company results in a first-ever global loss for Toyota.

Toyota's shareholders should be finding out who the people responsible for these asinine, customer-abusing decisions are made by, and fire them forthwith, cancelling all their pensions and preferably suing them for all they've got. And then handing them over to the yakuza for a bit of mild recreation.

Still, this isn't the place to let fly about this. I just want to fix the problem! ;)

If it upsets you that much buy the beatsonic kit, with all the boxes and wiring, there could be chips involved as well, so very much doubt its just a few pence worth of wire and a cheap switch.

Thanks, Ian. Yes, perhaps there are some electronics in the pre-shrunk wire sleeve and/or socket (hard to tell which it is).

Actually, I've found an even more (apparently) suitable Beat-sonic model for my needs, the NKV-02, which is "only" $150:

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beatsonic-nvk-02.html

It handles just the Navigation bypass, not the DVD-playing. If you look at the picture I supplied of the Beatsonic NT0202 above, the wires on the right side of it comprise the NKV-02 (the ones on the left relate to DVD override).

Now trying to get it in the UK is the next issue.

The Motion Lock has already cost me more than £150 in missed deadlines/appointments; I'm forever rushing, it seems.

Missed deadlines/appointments caused by not being able to enter destinations whilst on the move? ....

On my 2006 GS I had the motion lock but when I bought a newer navigation disc (2009? I will check this if you need me to) it went away so now allows me to input fresh destination on the move but will this work on a GenII? Could try my disc in your car if you are ever down my way,Just south of Norman Cross on A1.

Regards Tony

When I did the latest update disc for my 2001 GS430, that didn't defeat the lockout unfortunately. There wasn't a later update available when I last checked.

URL to check for updates (you need the part number from the actual Nav disc currently in the car)

http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/Home/Index

dave1 - Yes.

tonyricha - Thanks, but it won't help me. Different generation of Satnav system too. I've done several updates over the years (and currently have a 2010 navigation DVD in situ) and what my car needs is different from what the 2006 model needs. TigerFish already gave the weblink which will confirm that.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links