Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1Uz-Fe / L200 Conversion. Hopefully You'll Find This Interesting.

Yoda

Literally down to one problem to overcome and it's all done. The software for the TCU seems to be incorrect and is holding the gearbox in 4th. Once they've overcome this it's a test drive and we should be good. It's been running several times now so the engine looks good. No suprises there. I did have to buy a new alternator though as the original one was a bit kaput once they ran it for a while. 

Meanwhile here's a picture of my relocated radiator and twin electric fans. 

D7957B02-2730-4030-B221-D015D8699D7C_zps

The truck is done. Ready for collection. Only problem is I'm sick right now and don't know if I'm going to be well enough to get it Saturday. Full video coming when I do get it though. 

So here it is; the grand reveal. The videos are aimed more at the L200 community as you'll see from things I say. But interesting I think for you guys to see more of the truck the engine is sitting in now. I am extremely pleased. In the way home I only got 13mpg which isn't exactly great. The gear ratios and lock up feel fine so doubt it's them. The Spitronics ECU get-you-on-the-road base map runs rich for safety. I need to get a wide band lambder sensor and start mapping soon. I'm sure we can get the engine to run better than it is. 

http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/Luke_E...nc8bfb.mp4.html - What it now looks like. Bumper, light bar, gear levers, and ECU's. A few things we agreed from the outset would be left to me to finish off. Sorry about the bad camera work in this one. Think I left the screen lock on.

http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/Luke_E...y0wgke.mp4.html - The engine.

http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/Luke_E...cw8nip.mp4.html - The one you're all really waiting for

Well done for getting it on the road, sounds lovely, is that just from having an open filter, or is there exhaust noise as well?

13 mpg is going to hurt a bit though, have you considered LPG?

Superb! 

The engine sounds fantastic. Interior is better than I expected after installation, I know you have not yet finished it.

I wanted the L200 for off-roading a few years back but the insurance was a bit steep compared to a Jeep.

I only have 101 questions!

Have you been doing off-roading for long?

What vehicle did you have before the L200 for off-road fun? 

Do you intend to use the "Raptor" for off-road trials, Green Laning or as an advertisement?

Would love to see the beast in the flesh. You must be very pleased with the result.

I admire your patience and determination - well done.

37 minutes ago, mikeyv said:

Well done for getting it on the road, sounds lovely, is that just from having an open filter, or is there exhaust noise as well?

Tyres have a BIG effect on mpg, 13 mpg sounds about right!

3 hours ago, mikeyv said:

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Tyres have a BIG effect on mpg, 13 mpg sounds about right!

There's some guys on the 1UZ Facebook groups with the Lexus V8 in all sorts of vehicles getting much better mileage. One chap I've got to know has a 1UZ in a Cherokee on 35" tyres and gets 25-28mpg. So I reckon we can get it up from 13. That wasn't exactly driving economically either. But mapping can achieve a lot. Plus it's probably worth me going through the spark plugs and HT leads to make sure they're top notch. My best mate has a 600bhp Holden with an LS1 that he's mapped to still return 27.5mpg. 

Lpg is on the cards. I did put up a post about it on here a while back because I had been told it destroys valves on the 1UZ. MikeyV I think you were one that commented to say you thought that was rubbish :)

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Superb! 

The engine sounds fantastic. Interior is better than I expected after installation, I know you have not yet finished it.

I wanted the L200 for off-roading a few years back but the insurance was a bit steep compared to a Jeep.

I only have 101 questions!

Have you been doing off-roading for long?

What vehicle did you have before the L200 for off-road fun? 

Do you intend to use the "Raptor" for off-road trials, Green Laning or as an advertisement?

Would love to see the beast in the flesh. You must be very pleased with the result.

I admire your patience and determination - well done.

Actually my previous off road toy was a Jeep Cherokee. Loved it. Still miss it.  I needed a pick up though so bought an L200. Just had no idea how bad the engines were at the time. 

Raptor was an inspiration taken from watching an episode of West Coast Customs where they Line X'd an entire truck. So Line X was my first choice but you can't DIY it. I never built this to be a challenge truck. If you hit something hard enough the paint will still scratch. But practically eliminates pin striping that you get from green laning. If a branch looks too big - get out and move it. It's not an advert. I'm not sponsored. Though I wish I was. 

3 hours ago, mikeyv said:

Sorry didn't answer all of that did I. That is just from an open filter. It's not even in the snorkel yet as you saw. There's also no exhaust note at present. I mean really none. The LS400 headers are built for quietness and my exhaust is nothing special. To save money we reused my existing single pipe 2.5" stainless and merged both headers into it. It has two silencers on it as well. 

First things I'll be doing which cost basically nothing is reconnecting the snorkel and removing one of the exhaust silencers. Later this year I want to have a full twin balanced exhaust made up. Probably 2.5" both sides and Hurricane headers from Oz. But that could be a grand easily right there. That I'm pretty sure will sound epic though. 

45 minutes ago, Yoda said:

There's some guys on the 1UZ Facebook groups with the Lexus V8 in all sorts of vehicles getting much better mileage. One chap I've got to know has a 1UZ in a Cherokee on 35" tyres and gets 25-28mpg. So I reckon we can get it up from 13. That wasn't exactly driving economically either. But mapping can achieve a lot. Plus it's probably worth me going through the spark plugs and HT leads to make sure they're top notch. My best mate has a 600bhp Holden with an LS1 that he's mapped to still return 27.5mpg. 

Lpg is on the cards. I did put up a post about it on here a while back because I had been told it destroys valves on the 1UZ. MikeyV I think you were one that commented to say you thought that was rubbish :)

Wouldn't be surprised Luke, there's a faint bell ringing :unsure:

I like the air filter approach to noise, as it's kind of switchable, depending on your mood.

Look forward to hearing it with exhaust done though!

Cheers bud. For the most psrt this more or less brings this thread to a close. That said there is still engine related mods to come. Snorkel, exhaust, mapping, head work, ...... Super charger ..... So I'll keep the updates coming. This lot cost a pretty penny though so nothing happening in the very short term that costs money. Oh, and I plan to get the engine valet and detailed then buy a second set of rocker covers and an intake. I'll then clean them up and get them painted orange and then swap them out. 

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone i got a mitsubishi pajero 2.5td i want to put a ls400 v8 engine from a luxus in the pajero im from ilford essex does anyone know how much it will cost and if theres some close to me that can do it. its a project for my dad this 4x4 has been the family for over a decade lots of childhood memories would love for someone to do this conversion. i will get a donor car just need a quote.

thanks ausman.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links