Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So What Kind Of Mileage Do Is's Start Going Wrong?

petayV8

That's not a question that can be answered as there's too many variables to consider e.g. standard of maintenance, where and how it's driven and stored etc: etc: My 2001 IS200 Sportnav has only covered 97,000 miles and looks and drives like new, but it's got full Lexus service history and is kept in a heated garage when not in use.

I'd agree with above.

I used to use 100k as a bench mark to get rid of any car I've ever owned buty last Honda and now my Lexus has changed my opinion.

If you go on the US LOC they have stories of IS300's going over 300k with no problems

I sold mine at 106k two weeks ago.

Had I not had the RX now I would hve kept it as it had been absolutely faultless in all the time I had it.

Mine had full history etc but the guy who bought it was more than pleased with it....

J

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-LEXUS-IS200-SE-SILVER-/121069716900?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c305145a4

there is a 99 model with 172K on the clock no rust on body work, paint is still looking good. a good interior valet will restore it back to the way it looked in 99, this car will do another 30K easily to take it to 200K. so my guess will be Lexus designed these to last for a minimum of 20 years or 300K easily if the most important fluids are changed religiously when they due.

Saw one on eBay a few weeks ago that was at about 270k and when i was at WIM last year a guy getting his LS done said he knew someone whos 200 done over 300k. Im at 55k at the mo, so fingers crossed lol

I'm only at 95k.... So it's not even run in yet :)

I just did a service on an LS400 the other day with 548.000km(340.000Miles) on it, and i didnt do anything besides change the oil and grease the brakes.

The IS200 i have seen with the most Km on it, is a 99' with 396.000km(245.000Miles) I changed the oilpan on it because it was starting to rust and oil was dripping from it.

My IS220d started to seriously go wrong at about 70,000 miles. I sold it (dumped it back with Lexus) at 140,000 miles when the diff went. It was the final straw having had am almost replacement engine and 3 head gaskets go, not to mention countless other problems. As a rough estimate the cost of maintenance and repair was almost what I paid for the car brand new.

Worst car I ever bought. And it was 100% dealer services with FSH.

Got a nice new Peugeot RCZ now which does 50 MPG, looks amazing and drives way better than the IS220d ever did.

My IS220d started to seriously go wrong at about 70,000 miles. I sold it (dumped it back with Lexus) at 140,000 miles when the diff went. It was the final straw having had am almost replacement engine and 3 head gaskets go, not to mention countless other problems. As a rough estimate the cost of maintenance and repair was almost what I paid for the car brand new.

Got a nice new Peugeot RCZ now which does 50 MPG, looks amazing and drives way better than the IS220d ever did.

I think everyone has now come to the conclusion 'Diesel engines' and 'Lexus' do not mix..

Well when i asked the question i certainly didnt have the diesel in mind! we all know its ****

thanks for the replies! very interesting stuff. I think us brits also forget how long a 6 cylinder will go on for, being so used to 4 pots

Well when i asked the question i certainly didnt have the diesel in mind! we all know its ****

Yeah, sorry. haven't been on the forums for a very long time - so fed up with my lexus. For some reason this thread ended up in my inbox so I felt compelled to reply - realise now you guys were talking about the 200/300.

I had a 200 and a 300, both high milers and never had a thing go wrong with them. The 300 was a top notch car and I really missed it when I traded in for the 220d.

Yeah, sorry. haven't been on the forums for a very long time - so fed up with my lexus. For some reason this thread ended up in my inbox so I felt compelled to reply - realise now you guys were talking about the 200/300.

I had a 200 and a 300, both high milers and never had a thing go wrong with them. The 300 was a top notch car and I really missed it when I traded in for the 220d.

its ok, i can understand your frustration and potential loss of trust in the brand. you should go warn ppl off the 220d in the new member areas because when i see ppl looking to buy one and asking questions i havent the heart to tell them! well your RCZ will fill the gap between now and when the new IS is available? hehe ;)

• Like 1

I actually really like the RCZ, and that's uncommon for me to say that about a French car (since I get to take many cars apart and put them back together again, the French cars don't come up trumps here). It's only real problems are 1) it's FWD, where RWD or even 4WD would have been great, and 2) that huge Peugeot badge on the front. And that's not badge snobbery - it's just that it looks horrendous! There's NO need for it to be SO big; looks dreadful. Which is a shame as the rest of the car looks great! Never driven one mind, so can't comment on the handling or performance...

I actually really like the RCZ, and that's uncommon for me to say that about a French car (since I get to take many cars apart and put them back together again, the French cars don't come up trumps here). It's only real problems are 1) it's FWD, where RWD or even 4WD would have been great, and 2) that huge Peugeot badge on the front. And that's not badge snobbery - it's just that it looks horrendous! There's NO need for it to be SO big; looks dreadful. Which is a shame as the rest of the car looks great! Never driven one mind, so can't comment on the handling or performance...

Agreed! The performance for a diesel is average off the line, over taking though is a lot of fun - bit like the IS in that respect. I would say mid range it's on par with the 300 (from what I can remember). The MPG is outstanding, no matter how hard I push it I get 47-51 MPG for a tank. Handling is also pretty good - I keep pushing it on the corners and its never let me down yet. Even performed well in the recent snow much to my surprise.

• 4 weeks later...

Mines currently on 173k as a daily driver, still smooth and quick, replaced the rad and powersteering pump around 160k only since i owned it from mid 2011 at 110k, when i first bought it the mileage didnt put me off as these cars have a good reliability and the previous owners kept it well as it was mint, since then i changed the oil at exactly 10k intervals.

Powertrain-wise, my IS200 has been running like clockwork (touches wood). She's travelled 114,000 miles so far.

Apart from that, I had the following issues:

• Front lower ball joints were shot at 86,000 miles
  • Front shock absorbers were also leaking at 86,000 miles
  • Rear left shock has started to weep oil, and will probably need replacing during the next oil change
I think that's pretty much it, apart from consumables like brake pads, tyres, etc

Mine also had leaking shocks around the same mileage i saw on the previous MOT certs. Shocks need replacing on all cars at some point dont they?

• Like 1