Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Back Tyres Wear More?

Hi guys.

I've had my tyres on for about 9 months now. All 4 replaced at the same time.

I checked the treads this morning and the front have 5mm of tread but the back only have 3mm. Is this normal? I know the IS eats tyres so I'm not concerned over losing so much tread in 9 months it's just that I thought that with the engine over the front, the fronts would wear down quicker. I know the back wheels drive the car but I didn't think the difference in tread would be 2mm!

I hear the issue, but . . . How about moving the rear wheels to the front. I know this isn't an ideal solution, but I think the worry of having to change the tyres at different times and possibly having the balance a little out of sync? I'd rather have them done at the same time.

Hello was just about to say the same thing,not sure about the rate of wear though as this will be dependant on mileage done,however as its a rear wheel drive and with the rear having to drive the front,you will have more rear tyre wear while with front wheel drive cars,the fronts wear more than the back.Hope this helps

I think so, as it's the rear tyres that drive the car, they do wear more than the front.

Yeah mate but by so much that I'm gonna replace the backs before the fronts?

I don't like doing that... :(

Why? You should always have your best tyres on the back, especially on a RWD car. Even on a FWD car, having the best tyres on the back will make the vehicle MUCH more stable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Hb5kQCaTg&feature=youtu.be

hi,i replaced all times front tires with back tires after 6000 miles until all of them will be used,after i buy 4 new tires[they are more cheaper if you buy 4]and the garage make free balance[tracks]like offer...if this help

Jez, you guys must drive like bats out of hell to go through a set of tyres in under 12 months, i put a set of part worn on the rears last year that only had 5 mm on them and they still have 3-4 mm left...

Or do i drive like a pansy?!

weird... I must be the only one then whose front tyres wear-out quicker than rears across all my cars.

And they are a combination of FWD, RWD, and AWD as well...

I swap the fronts with the rears at every oil change to even-out the wear.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I hear what your saying Matt, The reason I can't swap front for backs is that one of my back wheels is ever so slightly buckled and I can feel it through the steering wheel when it's on the front. Also the spare is completely buckled!

I'm getting all 5 wheels Refurbed and un-buckled in the summer so that will sort it then and i'll be able to swap them round as much as i like. I was just surprised that the backs wore so differently to the front. As for WIM, I'm there on Saturday, I was only there 9 months ago when I bought the tyres but my mate is taking his IS300 so I thought I'd tag along and get mine done to see how much it's out by after only 9 months.

After i fitted new springs and i gave it 2k mile wear in mileage and then replaced all 4 tyres as old ones wore unevenly before suspension replacement, i had the geometry reset and now all my tyres wear equally and last longer, sure i've done 15k and still more than half to go, bear in mind i have a heavy right foot and lowering springs to handle the speed into corners, you best book a wim appointment. It'll drive in a straight line and your fuel economy will go up slightly.

I bought a W plate Lexus IS200, when I got the car obviously the fronts were worn on the inside. I got some TopSpeed suspension bushes, new ball joints, new drop links then took the car to WIM for Alignment and had a set of 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 2's put on.

4000 miles later those brand new tyres are 100% worn (no tread left) on the inside front tyres, backs tyres still look new..... What Gives?

I bought a W plate Lexus IS200, when I got the car obviously the fronts were worn on the inside. I got some TopSpeed suspension bushes, new ball joints, new drop links then took the car to WIM for Alignment and had a set of 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 2's put on.

4000 miles later those brand new tyres are 100% worn (no tread left) on the inside front tyres, backs tyres still look new..... What Gives?

Take it back, it should be a free check to see whether its still in alignment settings they left it on and whether they done anything wrong, check your shocks and springs if they upto standard.