Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 - Rear Discs And Pads

lordturns

Hi everyone,

my discs and pads need replacing on the rear of my LS400 and I have done quite a bit of reading on the subject with various posts on here. Lots of people are talking about redstuff, bluestuff? mintex and other brands of brakes with many varying opinions on what's good and bad with the associated groans, squealing and clouds of brake dust :D

I have had a quote from the cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk for genuine Toyota parts and costs are as follows for just supply and delivery:

Genuine Toyota Rear discs are £64 each inc VAT
Genuine Toyota Rear pad set £49 inc VAT
Genuine Toyota Rear sensor wire from pads to the loom £
74 inc VAT
Genuine Toyota Front sensor wire from pads to the loom £88.50 inc VAT

Total - £339.50

Opie Oils do some Ferodo Premier discs and pads - which I read about in the forum somewhere as being reasonably good. Prices are:

£99.53 for a pair of rear discs

£41.04 for a set of rear pads

Total - £140.57

Quite a saving as you can see - can anyone voice their definitive experiences of what works well?. I will replace the sensors in an effort to keep things original as much as I can as at the moment they are simply taped up.

Thanks very much for any help on this.

Jeremy :)

Sounds about right for OEM Toyota but have you contacted LOC parts dealer ACLex who may be able to offer a better price.

Hi Steve,

no I haven't contacted ACLex - in your opinion is it worth sticking to the original Toyota stuff or a premium quality brand?

Get your sensors delivered from the states only a few pounds each. discs & pads I would go original.

Hi Mark,

I have just had a quick look on eBay for the sensors and found some priced at £10 - £15 each with an additional postage charge of £13. They are OEM items and are a massive saving on buying the kit from UK.

Thanks very much for that handy hint :)

Hi everyone,

my discs and pads need replacing on the rear of my LS400 and I have done quite a bit of reading on the subject with various posts on here. Lots of people are talking about redstuff, bluestuff? mintex and other brands of brakes with many varying opinions on what's good and bad with the associated groans, squealing and clouds of brake dust :D

I have had a quote from the cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk for genuine Toyota parts and costs are as follows for just supply and delivery:

Genuine Toyota Rear discs are £64 each inc VAT

Genuine Toyota Rear pad set £49 inc VAT

Genuine Toyota Rear sensor wire from pads to the loom £74 inc VAT

Genuine Toyota Front sensor wire from pads to the loom £88.50 inc VAT

Total - £339.50

Opie Oils do some Ferodo Premier discs and pads - which I read about in the forum somewhere as being reasonably good. Prices are:

£99.53 for a pair of rear discs

£41.04 for a set of rear pads

Total - £140.57

Quite a saving as you can see - can anyone voice their definitive experiences of what works well?. I will replace the sensors in an effort to keep things original as much as I can as at the moment they are simply taped up.

Thanks very much for any help on this.

Jeremy :)

I did the rear brakes on my old LS400 97 plate, can't remember brand of discs but they were about £100 a pair, pads were ferodo again about that price, while i had the rears off, a mate did the parking brake as well as it is accessible when you do the rear brakes.

Sensors were ok so not done, can't help sorry.

When done the brakes worked a treat, did feel better than before the change, we did the front discs and pads too and a brake fluid change and bleed (well mate did most of it).

Thanks Chris - I am probably going to go original for the discs and pads and then get the sensors from the USA. Although I have heard Ferodo is a good brand and I remember them from my childhood days as they were invariably on scalextric sets.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and note to guys that follow this thread.

Just done a rear set of discs/pads for £52 for ls400 1998 model.

This supplier is currently selling a PAIR of NEW Rear Discs for £34.15 which includes FREE Courier(City Link) postage.

Fronts are priced at £54 a pair with free postage.

Prices are the same for all LS400 models at time of posting.

UK Supplier

RSJ Motor Factors
Unit 1 Short Street
Bilston
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
WV14 6AF
United Kingdom
Tel 01902 401444
eBay user name = mr.exhaust
Rear Pads cost £18 inc postage from another supplier. Loads to choose from.
Hope that helps anyone thinking of changing discs - pads etc for a bargain price.
Baz.

Rear brakes don't work as hard as fronts, if money tight skip OEM just go for names you recognize

Ferodo, Mintex etc and what other members recommend.

Wear indicators from Lexus are a rip off, I just joined the break in the wires and check them visually myself

Thanks for the replies gents, there is some useful information and options on here for all members to see regarding brakes. As mentioned, I am going original with pads and discs and buying sensors from the USA.

• 6 months later...

The only thing I would say about brake pads ,there are several UK toyota parts suppliers who will readily give you a bargain price on the Pads as they are fitted to several Toyota models ,the main point is they are mated to the discs for temprature during heavy braking and will not cause the discs to warp this cannot be said of other suppliers and the same goes for the discs.The bonus is that the pads produce less dust than a lot of the other makes.I would not stray from oem on consumables it can have long term detrimental effects to the braking system if you start mixing things about.With regard to the sensors the way to avoid replacement is to change the pad before they wear down that far, its likely there is only a couple of thousand mile left on the pad by that time.

I found the biggest problem with the pad wear sensors is not they were written off by low pad wear as I always change my pads, as you say before the wear sensors come into contact with the disc, but they just fall to pieces when you try and remove them from the old pads to refit on the new.

Also discovered some non OEM pads need filing to allow the sensors to fit which again stresses the sensors.

My rear brakes have now been fitted for some time and I did buy genuine Toyota parts in an effort to keep things to spec. Only thing is my front brakes squeal very loud - I have checked them and they have plenty of life left yet in pads and discs, I can only perhaps attribute this to them being aftermarket parts and possibly cheap at that.

It is odd - when you start the car and roll forward, gently touching the brakes - the fronts begin to squeal and then after a few minutes, the squealing disappears. There is then no noise at all when braking during the rest of my journey - squealing only happens when the car has been stood for a while.....strange :wacko:

For the rear discs and pads I went to Mintex, since the price is quite cheap, a bit over 100e for pads and discs delivered to Finland, sent from UK. That Is really good value.

For the front pads. I had similar noise problem and I tried a quite much everything. I have brembo discs in front and I changed pad type twice, first one was Mintex, second one Fedora(?) but no luck.

I even bought a fitting kit from Toyota (50 euro, a rip off) and nothing helped. Then I went and bought copper paste and added that by myself and finally I had quiet brakes. That fix lasted a year so I readded the copper paste and brakes are quiet again.

In MOT test this year brakes were 100% and they both have excactly same braking values in the front, so this squealing is not from stuck caliper etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a 160K service done, rears brakes were vibrating when braking at speed so asked them to check.

This was at the Lexus dealer in Guildford. They found the disks and pads were 90% worn, so they replaced pads and disks on rear (front were fine).

They are doing a special on the disks right now, £96 for the pair (cannot recall price of pads), I think 30 minutes labour, so pretty good value for originals!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The only thing I would say about brake pads ,there are several UK toyota parts suppliers who will readily give you a bargain price on the Pads as they are fitted to several Toyota models ,the main point is they are mated to the discs for temprature during heavy braking and will not cause the discs to warp this cannot be said of other suppliers and the same goes for the discs.The bonus is that the pads produce less dust than a lot of the other makes.I would not stray from oem on consumables it can have long term detrimental effects to the braking system if you start mixing things about.With regard to the sensors the way to avoid replacement is to change the pad before they wear down that far, its likely there is only a couple of thousand mile left on the pad by that time.

LS400 OEM front brake produces little brake dust because of ceramic pads. I found out that a lot of people like brembo rotors in combination with AKEBONO ACT665 - ceramic pads.