Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alarm Issues

rigga955

Several times recently when I've parked my car up and locked it, the alarm has started to sound when a car gone past it , pretty annoying not just for me, but for all those in bed who live by the paper shop on my way to work at 6.15 in the morning .....I always double lock the car and am wondering if there is any adjustment to the sensitivity I can do, or any pointers as to why it happens, its fine parked on the drive at home or in the car park at work, it just seems to be when there is passing traffic..... its a 2004 is200

As far as I understand it, double locking the car deactivates the alarm and sets the electronic deadlocks; single locking the car uses only the primary door locks and sets the alarm. This is only what I've been told mind, so it may not be 100% true (I'd have thought that the alarm would be activated with either a single press or double press, and the only difference is that deadlocks are or are not activated)

As far as sensitivity goes, I'm pretty sure the car does not have ultrasonic sensors inside, and so the alarm only responds to a door being opened (or boot, or bonnet), and as such isn't subject to "sensitivity". Unless your alarm is an aftermarket alarm from the likes of Clifford or Toad?

Standard Lexus key so presume standard oe alarm system, ok so no ultrasonics, that dismisses my thought that maybe air was being pushed through the air vents as used to be an issue on older cars I've had ....as for the double locking I'm not too sure if the alarm works one way or another when its done, its just something I do out of habit, I might try just a single press to see if that does anything

Posted just as I did....so ultrasonics might be the cause? Where are they fitted as I don't recall seeing any visible ones.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=63070&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

This thread might help.

According to my handbook double locking deadlocks the doors and dis arms the interior sensor and arms the alarm. Single lock arms the alarm and interior sensors but doesn't deadlock

Thanks for the link, interesting as when i double press the fob, pretty sure I don't get the 5 flashes of the indicators,,I I might try just a single press and see if I get the same proble.but anyway pressing twice according to that means it can't be the ultrasonics?

Yeah but if they're faulty who's to say they are disarming. All I'm saying is a lot of people have had problems with the alarm all with different symptoms but disconnecting the interior roof sensor seems to fix it for most including me.

My alarm would still go off if I double locked. I had lots of problems with my alarm when I first got the car.

As for the 5 flashes, if all doors including the boot and bonnet aren't closed properly it won't flash 5 times. I had this problem. I knew all doors and boot were closing properly so it had to be the bonnet. I finally found how to get it to flash 5 times by luck. By bonnet was bouncing all over the place when doing 40mph+. I adjusted the rubber grommits under the bonnet that cushion the closing of the bonnet. They screw into the metal either side above the headlights. I screwed these in a little so the bonnet closed flusher and stopped bouncing. It also cured the 5 flashing problem.

Doesn't the double press arm the deadlocks on most cars? I know on my other car (yeah yeah its a volvo booooring) you can hear the things clonk when you press it twice