Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

On The Lookout For An Is250

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a used lexus IS250. I currently own an E60 530D but due to BMW's excellent reliability record and punching me in the ribs with over 5k in repairs over 2 years I've decided to look at the Lexus IS250 brand (love my automatics)

Now I'm a bit confused on the specs - I've seen the SE spec and SE-L spec and though I like the latter my budget would suit a good spec SE.

Does the SE spec come with Sat nav/reverse cam as standard? Also do these cars come with a sunroof as standard?

My 530D gave me an average of 35 mpg so the running costs may be similiar without the diesel breakdown headaches.

Can I get a general overview of these cars from the owners? I've looked on youtube for a video review but can't find anything indepth worthy of UK roads.

Thanks

It can come with whatever the first purchaser opted to add in.

So you could find a SE with SatNav/reversing camera, sunroof, leather etc etc.

Read as many threads/posts as you can find here relating to the 250. Currently I'm getting 29-30 around town and 37-40 on a good sized run using cruise.

Do sit in one with a sun roof. If you are tall you may find it a tad intrusive on headroom.

The "Advance" which arrived in Jan 2011 (now 2 years old) are based on the SE with loads of extra kit, satnav, reversing camera, full leather heated and fully electrically adjustable seats (no memory function), cruise, auto lights and auto wipers, 6CD changer, Bluetooth, USB, they also had subtle restyling to the fog lights, rear lights and tail pipes. I have one from new and really pleased with it, about 30mpg in every day driving & 40+ on a run and the 2.5 V6 auto is a fantastic combo.

40mpg on a run! What am I doing wrong? I'm a steady driver, the average says 34mpg over 5k but it's overeading by about 2mpg so 28 - 33 is more realistic. Still better than my old IS200 tho. My first auto, it won't be my last, cracking motor.

I would imagine a diesel would still be the best option for a mileage like that I would go for a top spec Passat rather than a BM both the cars and bikes seem expensive and unreliable. 20k will mean two services per year with an IS250 it's a shame Lexus didn't do a diesel auto with the 220.

I've run Jag, Audi and BMW v6 diesels doing 25k+ miles pa. They average 35-45 mpg. My is250 averages 36mpg (real mpg not per computer). Is250 also requires servicing more often. BUT as ghazi says you pay thousands to keep these cars (audi, bmw etc.) on the road. With the Lexus you pay virtually zero unless you're unlucky. Petrol also cheaper at the pump. Strange as it sounds 2.5 v6 petrol engine car is the sensible option for high mileage drivers.........on that bombshell.

Passat not a bad call though but in r36 guise!

I didn't think Audi had a bad reputation for expensive running costs and reliability issues with their diesels? I know of plenty of high mileage 2.0 diesels at work that have been very reliable with big mileages.

The blb engine range were a ticking time bomb in regards to reliability. Injector failure was also common on the 2.0 tdi. Audi cars dont have much standard spec, unless you pay through the nose at the dealers for extras.

Also they are common as muck.

Had both Audi and BMW diesels. Both covered over 100,000miles without any issues in total. Had an IS220d, was in at the dealers far more than the German cars. The IS250 Auto's that I had as a loaner several times did give me mid 30's MPG without too much grief. The manual IS250 didn't drive well in my view - no go below 4000rpm...

The point is that with diesels you get either good ones or bad ones - and they do all have common issues, largely driven by the technology and complexity that is needed to make them EU5/6 compliant. There are horror stories all over the place about EGR's, swirl flaps, turbo's going bang etc. Less so with Petrol engined cars. Hence why I went for a petrol one this time. Coil packs seem to be the only achilles heels for naturally aspirated petrol High pressure FI cars.

Only Lexus seem to have a naturally aspirated petrol engine nowadays, so I went with that. Did consider the E350 CGi which is also naturally aspirated, but the face lift was due out and they had a limited number of those pre-ordered ones available in July when I bought the GS, so I avoided it.

If I was to get a diesel now, it would be VAG car - probably a six Cylinder Audi, but not one with the Multitronic and FWD. So that means a quattro....with 7 or eight speed box. They are superb!! The newer ones (A6 upwards) all have Sat nav etc as standard now.

Also - if I was to have a luxury diesel car, I would insist on the warranty - even if it's a Warranty direct one, just covering the turbo, fuel supply/manifolds and engine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links