Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yay, I Have My Ac Compressor Off!

£170 for the pipe.

+ Labour to fit it, there's no chance I am going to take it on with dropping all of that stuff at the back. If a garage was to take it on I would guess around £300.

I am thinking that where the rear pipe starts, go 30-40cm in and cut it there, so if I ever want to replace the pipe, I haven't touched anything up front and that it's still a case of just removing the rear pipe.

I would bite the bullet and do the pipes. At least you know it's right then.

No point in having such a nice silent car and having to open the windows in summer to keep cool.

I see that point. I've had a real good look underneath now.

If I am going to replace the pipe, it is in fact not that difficult.

The only area of movement required is the fuel tank where I need only an extra inch to slip the pipe out and back in, I reckon this movement can be had by just unbolting a couple of places and just squeezing the pipe past....the job is not that big, there is no need to go ballistic and drop everything at the back. Only a couple of bits need dropping ,everything else can be done with extensions and swivel joints.

Second point is, no one ever sits in the back of the car anyway, so I am not bothered about losing the back of the cars AC, and even still some LSs came with only the front set up so the front AC is powerful enough to cool the car as standard.

I had an epiphany under the car, go to where the rear pipe starts, unbolt it, and just bolt on some metal screwed end caps. No need to weld, just screw them on and boom you're sorted temorarily. This will buy me some nice time until I fancy actually getting my finger out and replacing the pipe!

See below my tactic:

endcaps.jpg

• 1 month later...

As an update, my AC is working fine.

The rear is blanked off with some blanking nuts, everything is running great and cool.

Remember to put 650g gas in.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi Ipwn 

Sorry I know this is a very old thread. 

Do you happen to remember where you got your end caps and maybe what size I am searching so much without success that I feel like i'm abusing google.

Many thanks