Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which One Do I Chose.... Please Help

Hi again

As I wrote before I am looking for a GS 450h with a budget of 10K.

I now have found 2 and I am torn, don't know which one to chose, maybe any help, please?

Option 1

----------

57 reg

SE-L version

Dark blue metallic (I love the colour)

101K miles, last service 96K, intermediate, so in about 5K miles (some 9-10 months for me) I will need to do a big one

FSH, all done at Lexus

Seller: trader, but no warranty (I can buy one from him, though)

He bought it directly from Swindon Lexus, who got it on part exchange and also serviced it all the time

Car nice and clean, seats in great condition, back ones haven't been used at all

I have seen it today, but not drove

Two new tyres at the back, new brake discs in front

Bad points: a small dent above the rear wheel, two stone chips on bonnet, quite badly painted over, lookes like tippexed, some marks on a dashboard, like something was stuck on it and left a bad mark, front tyres worn, especially on the insides, so looks like tracking needs to be done or there's something wrong

Price £10K

50 miles from my home

Can pay by debit card (easy for me)

Option 2

-----------

09 reg!

SE version

Black metallic (I also like it, but prefer blue)

106K miles, last service 98K miles, the full one

FSH, half done at Lexus and half in Halfords, last in Lexus

Private seller

150 miles from my home, so when I go, I would have to buy it there and then

have not seen it yet, only on photos, looks good there

that person has kids, so not sure how the back seats look like in real life

Bad points: one spoke on wheel missing, apparently some small stone chips and dents (could not see on photos), don't know what else as have not seen it yet

have to pay by cash (I am a bit worried carrying that much cash)

Price £10.5 K

I am planning to see the other one soon, but I need to decide. How does it look on paper? One side of me says go for the 57reg, as it is from a trader and HPI checked, higher spec and all done at Lexus, the other side wants a newer car! Especially that I now drive a 59 reg one, so 57 is a step back. Up to £10K I have only seen one 2008 car and no 2009s so far, apart from this one, so it is cheap.

Help, please!

A 'dealer' (no matter what they claim) is required by law to provide a car that is "FIT FOR PURPOSE" under the SOGA (sale of goods act) Their written warranties are worthless & a waste of money as the law provides more cover

AND get a private reg. number

No warranty on a £10k car, I would walk away just based on that. Also sounds very odd that Lexus would pass on a Lexus used car, I can understand them passing on other marquees straight away, but not a Lexus (unless there was something very expensive wrong with it - hence no warranty offer)

No warranty on a £10k car, I would walk away just based on that. Also sounds very odd that Lexus would pass on a Lexus used car, I can understand them passing on other marquees straight away, but not a Lexus (unless there was something very expensive wrong with it - hence no warranty offer)

HI, sorry, I have phrased it wrong, dealer does no standard free warranty, you know some of them offer free 3-6 months, this one doesn't, on any of his cars. Dealer looks genuine, paperwork also did. The car looks good, he has shown me all paperwork, all service history, gave me the number to Lexus Swindon, where he got the car from, told me I can call them and ask about the car if I want, for example about the last service.

Lexus passed it on, because it is 100K miles, I know other dealers do it too, like Mazda. He said he buys all his cars from them, he had about 20 of cars for sale, 5 Lexuses.

I no you have been looking for a while , but don’t rush into
buying one, have a look at a few to gage what sort of condition you can expect
for your money, in my opinion the condition and mileage would take preference over
the year of the car, as mentioned perversely you can pick up a private plate.

As for caring cash around with you, most people will except
a bank transfer, normally takes between 5 mins and 2 hours to go through.

I sold my 450h (2008) 16,000 miles last year, it was nearly
4 years old, in mint condition inside and out, and was in better condition than
2 other newer cars they had on the lot, mine sold within 3 days. I had it up
for 15k and they had it up for 18,500k, it was brought by someone who lives no
more than 5 miles from me, I had it advertised in most car mags and even on
e-bay, so you can pick up a good car privately and then get your own warranty,
the person who brought mine from Lexus could have saved themselves at least 2k.

Just looking through auto trader , have you seen this one,
looks nice with lower mileage than the 2 you are considering.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201242488940599/sort/default/usedcars/price-from/8000/price-to/11000/fuel-type/hybrid/model/gs/make/lexus/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/page/2/postcode/da68jw/radius/1500?logcode=p

good luck in your search, the wait will be worht it.

I no you have been looking for a while , but don’t rush into

buying one, have a look at a few to gage what sort of condition you can expect

for your money, in my opinion the condition and mileage would take preference over

the year of the car, as mentioned perversely you can pick up a private plate.

Hi, thank you. It is not so much about the plate, but the age of the car.

As for caring cash around with you, most people will except

a bank transfer, normally takes between 5 mins and 2 hours to go through.

Yes, I know, but the private guy wasn't so keen. He also gave me quite tight timeslots to come and see the car, knowing I am 150 miles away, was a bit dodgy, generally I am not so keen now...

Lol, thats the one I was going to see today, too. However, I prefer cream seats, but we will still see it.

There are a lot of silver cars, which I don't want and a lot of black ones with black interior.

good luck in your search, the wait will be worht it.

Thank you.

'Dealer Warranties' see my post no.2

But its still better to buy from a dealer where possible because they have to abide by the law whereas with a private seller its very much as case of 'caveat emptor' (buyer beware)

'Dealer Warranties' see my post no.2

Yeah, I read that, hence I am not so much worried about the dealer warranty, as the product they sell has to be "fit for purpose". However, you have no such thing with private seller, hence I would prefer to buy from trader. Of course, there are good private sellers around, so I don't rule it out completely.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all your help guys. In the end I went for neither of those, and I am now a fully qualified member of this forum :)

I probably could have waited a bit longer, but I fell in love with a particular one, as it was a red colour and had cream seats :) 07 reg, 95K miles, SE version, no dents, scratches, however worn drivers' seat, which I only noticed when we gave the car for valeting and leather cleaning. Otherwise no faults and drives like a dream :) Bought at a dealer and got 3 months free warranty - the one they usualy sell for inflated prices.