Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rust On My 2002 Ls430 .... Contact Lexus Uk

Hi there just thought I would share, after cleaning the old girl this weekend .

Found rust beneath both wing mirrors on the top edge of the door and also rust around the rear number plate lights and also above the bottom mould strip NSF door. Noticed a couple of weeks back the the Osf door also had rust, but internally where the trim button sits, exactly the same position as the bad rust in the NSF door.

Contacted lexus under the 12 year anti perforation warranty, now off to the lexus Bodyshop to get it submitted for repair under warranty .... How cool is that !!!!!

Will keep you all posted as and when I get feedback from lexus and also what the Bodyshop says .....

Hi there just thought I would share, after cleaning the old girl this weekend .

Found rust beneath both wing mirrors on the top edge of the door and also rust around the rear number plate lights and also above the bottom mould strip NSF door. Noticed a couple of weeks back the the Osf door also had rust, but internally where the trim button sits, exactly the same position as the bad rust in the NSF door.

Contacted lexus under the 12 year anti perforation warranty, now off to the lexus Bodyshop to get it submitted for repair under warranty .... How cool is that !!!!!

Will keep you all posted as and when I get feedback from lexus and also what the Bodyshop says .....

Hi Frosty

I had a new boot fitted because of the number plate light trim rust problem - they painted it twice and then gave up and put a new boot lid on. Problem is the new boot lid is a lot heavier than the old one and kills the struts. Good luck with the rest of it.

Bren

Bren, with reference to your struts . Buy some BMW bonnet gas struts, they are built much better, wash my mouth out, but are stronger than lexus ones. They are about half inch longer and can be a b£(:/&rd to put on but they work perfectly . I think mine were from a 5 series got the details somewhere if you need them....

Re the rust, it's obvious a perforation fault due to the fact when I had the Osf door card off you could see the rust internal but not in the outside, well yet anyway. I suspect the NSF door inner is very bad as the rust on the outside is a good 3 inches long .

Can believe it, fingers crossed and all that. If they do ***** on it, I am going to take it further but I doubt that I will have to

Paul

Sadly I do have to agree the last 4 ls400's I had never had rust, but I believe it's a common fault in the early years of the ls430's.

Still if its covered, bugger it lol

I have had a 430 for 11 years and 204K miles - it is not a rust box none of them are so to say rust is a common fault among the early models is not correct Frosty. I had a replacement boot fitted because the interference fit of a piece of chrome caused the paint to be stripped and a rust spot to appear. It was crazy that the boot was replaced when it was not necessary - fix the rubbing and then paint it properly was the correct solution. Lexus have a warranty pot and it was probably cheaper for them to go down the replacement route rather than pay out for labour - they fixed the problem so no complaints from me.

I cannot speak about the later/face lift model but I haven't seen many rotting at the side of the road or abandoned on waste ground :)

I had 3 LS400s and all were great - my 430 is brilliant and I would never consider going back.

I'm only grumpy because I still have to get over Saturday evening :(

Cheers

Bren

Sorry didnt mean to rattle your cage !!!

Just looking at various sites, lexus gave admitted they have an issue in the earlier ls430. People have mentioned on others sites the exact same places that rust has appeared on my 315k model. So I was merely stating what other people, including lexus, have said .

Bren, with reference to your struts . Buy some BMW bonnet gas struts, they are built much better, wash my mouth out, but are stronger than lexus ones. They are about half inch longer and can be a b£(:/&rd to put on but they work perfectly . I think mine were from a 5 series got the details somewhere if you need them....

Re the rust, it's obvious a perforation fault due to the fact when I had the Osf door card off you could see the rust internal but not in the outside, well yet anyway. I suspect the NSF door inner is very bad as the rust on the outside is a good 3 inches long .

Can believe it, fingers crossed and all that. If they do ***** on it, I am going to take it further but I doubt that I will have to

Paul

A bit out of phase with my posts here - something to do with going off half cocked about rust :) The strut idea sounds great Paul if you can post or PM the details I look at that - my boot lid keeps hitting my head and I am worried about damage (to the lid not me).

Bad luck with the rust - good luck with the fix.

Bren

Sorry didnt mean to rattle your cage !!!

Just looking at various sites, lexus gave admitted they have an issue in the earlier ls430. People have mentioned on others sites the exact same places that rust has appeared on my 315k model. So I was merely stating what other people, including lexus, have said .

Fair point - I think I'll have a look at mine :) My cage has stopped rattling :)

Paul

A bit out of phase with my posts here - something to do with going off half cocked about rust :) The strut idea sounds great Paul if you can post or PM the details I look at that - my boot lid keeps hitting my head and I am worried about damage (to the lid not me).

Bad luck with the rust - good luck with the fix.

Bren

For gas struts google sgs engineering in derby they recharge struts or will supply new I got new boot struts for my 430 from them with a little extra pressure. They are happy to increase or decrease the pressure they put in and are very helpfull.

• Like 1

Do your gas struts open the boot from its lowest position ..... I mean if you press trunk on your remote or release from inside the car does your boot come up fully by itself or do you still have to help it to 1/3 1/2 open before it goes up??? Did that make any sense?

Do your gas struts open the boot from its lowest position ..... I mean if you press trunk on your remote or release from inside the car does your boot come up fully by itself or do you still have to help it to 1/3 1/2 open before it goes up??? Did that make any sense?

Your question makes perfect sense Paul.

My boot has never gone all the way up on its own - any of the 3 controls will or would pop the boot off the catch and then the struts assist opening (as you lift it) and damp the closing so it does not slam. If the struts made the boot open all the way it would be a heck of a job to close it afterwards :)

Bren

Just checked with the button pops up but does not open once past 1/2 way the struts take it to fully open without assistance

Do you have the original boot Steve or a heavy new one? MIne used to do what yours did but now needs a good shove to open to the top and closed like a gin trap - I suspect my struts are shagged again.

Bren

Did you see the post I put on about sgs engineering they made me stronger struts when they were replaced and have been better than before the others failed.

There service is spot on.

Did you see the post I put on about sgs engineering they made me stronger struts when they were replaced and have been better than before the others failed.

There service is spot on.

Yes thanks Steve - I think I may have some of their's on but from a long time ago. Perhaps the bloke there is not angry anymore because I called him a muppet :) So I'll give them a try.

Bren

Ok folks, back to the rust bit.

Frostyboy123 in his start post mentioned 12yr anti perforation warranty.

If my 2003 developed a rust area, say near the wing mirrors as in his post. Would i be able to claim any warranty repair, even if i did not purchase the car brand new from Lexus.