Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Drive An X5 And You Won't Go Back To Lexus!

The-Acre

I liked my Austin Maxi, :whistling: loads of room etc

Now that you've made the confession so can I. I liked my Maxi as well. Mind you, that was then, I'm sure if I drove one now my opinion might change....and then I'd prefer the X5!!! How about that for getting back on topic then?

Well MY! Maxi had loads of leg room & plenty of back seat for a little slap & tickle Hows that for getting way off topic then?

Well done for getting back off topic so quickly!! Before we sing the praises of British 80's cars let's remember that 80,000 miles on the clock and most were knackered, at least mine were. Unlike my LS400 which has 98,000 and I think is so much nicer to drive than a BMW X5...= back on topic!

Now that you've made the confession so can I. I liked my Maxi as well. Mind you, that was then, I'm sure if I drove one now my opinion might change....and then I'd prefer the X5!!! How about that for getting back on topic then?

Well MY! Maxi had loads of leg room & plenty of back seat for a little slap & tickle Hows that for getting way off topic then?

Well done for getting back off topic so quickly!! Before we sing the praises of British 80's cars let's remember that 80,000 miles on the clock and most were knackered, at least mine were. Unlike my LS400 which has 98,000 and I think is so much nicer to drive than a BMW X5...= back on topic!

I agree but do YOU agree that the Maxi had plenty of necking room :flowers:

I agree but do YOU agree that the Maxi had plenty of necking room :flowers:

For a car of its time, yes. However, did it have more room than the topical X5 or the much more comfortable (and topical) LS400?

I agree cars arent built as well as they used to be in the mechanical and bodywork side of things. but electronically im all for innovations in technology and that side of things seems more reliable than ever. I mean i guarantee if you buy a car from the 80s or 90s there will be something wrong somewhere electronically, whether its C/C, electric seats or in my case my heated seat has failed. This just doesnt happen these days. Technology is just so advanced now and any flaws have been ironed out.

I agree cars arent built as well as they used to be in the mechanical and bodywork side of things. but electronically im all for innovations in technology and that side of things seems more reliable than ever. I mean i guarantee if you buy a car from the 80s or 90s there will be something wrong somewhere electronically, whether its C/C, electric seats or in my case my heated seat has failed. This just doesnt happen these days. Technology is just so advanced now and any flaws have been ironed out.

I've lost count of the times I broke down in the distant past with electrical failures. Especially when it rained!

Somebody should build an 80's car with modern electronics....

Thing is is that everything needs to be on the cheap or it won't sell. You can buy a brand new car nowadays for 5K!

I'd rather spend half of that on something older without the 5 year guarantee or no MOT's and be happy driving the thing.

Somebody should build an 80's car with modern electronics....

Thing is is that everything needs to be on the cheap or it won't sell. You can buy a brand new car nowadays for 5K!

I'd rather spend half of that on something older without the 5 year guarantee or no MOT's and be happy driving the thing.

Funny you should say that. When I had a courtsey car earlier this year, they gave me a brand new VW Passat, the dashboard reminded me of a 1980's car. Straight lines and with absolutley nothing of any interest. The most boring new car I've driven in a long time, but it had modern electronics. However, not as advanced as my 99 LS!

Not been in the new new one but gf's dad had two, one 55 plate and one 07 plate. Boring cars as said. The dash creaks from go but I think all new cars are poorly build in that respect. Still pay 20K for the privilege....

Liked the 60+ MPG though

Dad had a passat. Thr most boring and lifeless car hes ever owned he said. And countless problems. dont understand where this german so called amazing reliabilty can be found? I know someone mad on them too, he just bought a bran new top of the range, dont know what he sees in them. Obviously there a market for them clearly tho. Oh well

Dad had a passat. Thr most boring and lifeless car hes ever owned he said. And countless problems. dont understand where this german so called amazing reliabilty can be found? I know someone mad on them too, he just bought a bran new top of the range, dont know what he sees in them. Obviously there a market for them clearly tho. Oh well

Its the badge and eye candy looks which attracts people..some years ago no other brands can match German reliabilty, speed and build quality until the Japs upped the ante..

What is it about a Lexus that makes them so much better than the rest? Today I borrowed a friends 05 plate BMW X5. He said "When you've driven it you won't want to go back to your Lexus" My LS is 6 years older than his X5 but apart from the price difference there's no way I would swop. It just doesn't compare. I know it's a different type of vehicle and all that but the quality just wasn't the same. And the LS equipment much much better. Glad of the experience though, it's made me appreciate what I've got more.

I was however very grateful for the loan!

Phil

WELL,I DID and I DID!

I prefer a choose jap car everytime well nearly, lol, I chose a IS250 over a BMW but yet again if it i to buy a new or nearly new car I would choose a BMW 3 series over a Mercedes c class every time, you seen the choice of petrol engines offred by c class ? I mean C250 sure its fast and comparable performance to a IS250 or any other 2.5 but its 1.8 and it don't think it would have the smoothness and sound of a V6 even if it has performance!!, not 2.0+ as I first thought and UK don't even get the c300 or c350 petrol BMW has a 2.5 and 3.0 petrol !

Yeah whats with that. It used to be that BMW for example had a larger engine than advertised, 320 - 2.2, 323, 2.5 etc. That was confusing enough. but now its the other way round. Its confusing and doesnt make sense. The new Merc CLA450 is a 2.0L!

and the lack of 6 cylinder power is everywhere now, frustrating, in europe anyway. What happened to Mercs legendary 3.5 V6. Great engine. I blame the government

My aunt in the USA just got a bran new C300. great engine and good on fuel

Yeah why cant we atleast get a c300, they are made in RHD because they have them in Japan, south Africa and Hong kong, in places like Germany you still get a c300 / 350 so its not to do with not passing euro emissions and despite diesel cars are a bigger seller in Europe than UK!! & the new e class biggest petrol one is e250 1.8 lol so lexus GS and BMW 5 series it is :)

• 2 weeks later...

Only just had the Lexus CT - its OK. Slower (as expected), noisier, uninvolving but easy to drive, way to complicated and what happens when it goes wrong.

The dealer was dreadful and I experience I will not rush to repeat. Its unlikely I will venture into a Lexus showroom again.

Its a company car and its great for tax (more than halved my monthly cost), but I now understand the majority of the motor press reveiws that the Audi / BMW is a better buy.

Can't wait to get back to BMW / Audi. More involving cars, better finished (albeit a lot less standard kit) and to date the dealers have been much better (1 lexus dealer v 4 bmw v 2 audi)

Understandable, but I suppose my original comments were aimed at the LS400 V the X5. It does seem that Lexus have slipped in regards to the quality of their cars in very recent years.

Phil

Only just had the Lexus CT - its OK. Slower (as expected), noisier, uninvolving but easy to drive, way to complicated and what happens when it goes wrong.

The dealer was dreadful and I experience I will not rush to repeat. Its unlikely I will venture into a Lexus showroom again.

Its a company car and its great for tax (more than halved my monthly cost), but I now understand the majority of the motor press reveiws that the Audi / BMW is a better buy.

Can't wait to get back to BMW / Audi. More involving cars, better finished (albeit a lot less standard kit) and to date the dealers have been much better (1 lexus dealer v 4 bmw v 2 audi)

wow, who on earth would compare a CT to a BMW or Audi in the motoring press!? its in a class of its own. Its more comparable to a Prius and other small hybrid vehicles. I wouldnt use the CT as a benchmark for Lexus either, try a IS, GS or LS if you want to know what Lexus ownership is all about

As for dealerships ive heard mixed things, strange how theres no consistency i must say

the way i see it is.

• if you looking to buy an IS then best to compare that to 3 series BMW.. A4 Audi and C class Merc are not wild enough or athlete enough to compare.
  • if you looking to buy a GS then best to compare that to an E class Merc and A6 Audi. test drove two GS300 SE when i was looking for a Lexus and the GS was a bit too soft and big for me and my feeling was, its setup on the softer side compared to a 5 series BMW.
  • If you looking to buy an LS then best to compare it to an S class Merc as both have been setup on the softer side compared to 7 series BMW or A8 Audi
  • if you looking to buy a CT200h best to compare that to Honda Insight or Toyota Prius. as BMW Merc and Audi do not offer a Hybrid hatchback at the moment so would be a fair comparison once they release their hybrid hatchback versions.

I've been reading the threads above and as someone who has owned BMW's, Mercedes & Lexus, it really is down to personal preference. Nothing handles like a BMW. I still remember when I drove a 7 series for the first time which was a 1988 735i back in 1988 and I was amazed how such a big car handled so sweetly it gave you that much confidence to throw it around. At that time the Mercedes S Class was the car you wafted around in as it could not compare in handling terms to the BMW. Then Lexus arrived and changed everything interms of refinement and pushed things foward.

However for me Lexus could be even better if it offered more choice. For example I love the look of the IS250 that came after the IS200 and the new IS, to me interms of looks it beats anything the Germans have to offer it is a stunning design. But the engine is too big a 2.5 and with a CVT gearbox? Why didn't Lexus offer this with a 2.0 litre engine and proper 6 speed/ 7 speed autogearbox?

Lexus is too busy pursuing hybrid cars rather than increasing fuel economy from its petrol engines. I don't like the CT it's not a proper Lexus as far as I'm concerned.

I think I've gone off topic, so better stop,

I've been reading the threads above and as someone who has owned BMW's, Mercedes & Lexus, it really is down to personal preference. Nothing handles like a BMW. I still remember when I drove a 7 series for the first time which was a 1988 735i back in 1988 and I was amazed how such a big car handled so sweetly it gave you that much confidence to throw it around. At that time the Mercedes S Class was the car you wafted around in as it could not compare in handling terms to the BMW. Then Lexus arrived and changed everything interms of refinement and pushed things foward.

However for me Lexus could be even better if it offered more choice. For example I love the look of the IS250 that came after the IS200 and the new IS, to me interms of looks it beats anything the Germans have to offer it is a stunning design. But the engine is too big a 2.5 and with a CVT gearbox? Why didn't Lexus offer this with a 2.0 litre engine and proper 6 speed/ 7 speed autogearbox?

Lexus is too busy pursuing hybrid cars rather than increasing fuel economy from its petrol engines. I don't like the CT it's not a proper Lexus as far as I'm concerned.

I think I've gone off topic, so better stop,

a 2.5 may well of been the same or even more fuel efficient than a 2.0L. You cant just judge a cars efficiency from its displacement. Its a complicated matter but has been covered previously.

I totally agree that its down to personal preference. Its good Lexus stick to their roots and keep making cars how we Lexus owners and alike love, even if the market in Europe leans towards handling and dynamics its good we can still buy a car like a Lexus. Plenty of money to be made in the USA for Lexus anyway

Quite amusing how borrowing a friends BMW has triggered so much debate, and how the Germans have not really won the toss. It would also be interesting to ask the same question in 10 years time when we see if Lexus have just become European across their range.

Phil

I don't think Lexus will ever become overly European its always been about quality and refinement and I don't think that will ever change as it knows that is what its buyers expect.

Nothing handles like a BMW.

the 2012/13 F sport models coming into the market will cater for drivers looking for the BMW handling experience. and more reviews i have read and videos i watched confirms the new IS, GS, and LS F Sports are even closer to BMW handling compared to Audi and Merc and better than it in some aspects like slalom and braking tests so i think more will depend on the review driver as well that's why its not good to make your car buying decision or depend 100% on what these review mags and companies say about cars when they carry out their tests and best to actually drive them yourselves and make your decisions. because 90% of the time, they never go in with a clean mind and always have a favorite before they even test the cars.