Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Rx300 Help? 4X4 Help.

Hello everyone.

I have a Lexus RX300 2003 and, although this might be a dumb question, I have no idea how to put it into 4x4 mode.

I have the following gears;

P

R

N

D

S (+) (-)

How do I put the car into four-wheel-drive?

Thanks.

Hi Shaho,

its a Lexus not a Land Rover, just sit there, the car does the rest!

Cheers Jason

ps. these are rubbish off road, but excellent in snow, if you re struggling in the snow your tyres are knackered/cheap ditchfinders/Bridgestone Potenza or you have 4wd problems!

Another extremely basic question,. I suggest that you read the handbook before driving another inch.

Extremely basic or not the question has been asked by a forum member requesting an answer.

I for one was not aware without research that there are 2 versions of the RX, Front Wheel Drive and All Wheel Drive.

• Like 2

Hi Jason,

my point is potenzas are TERRIBLE in snow, as they are performance car tyres, not SUV tyres, yes on a summers day they are great, on a cold winters day they are a bit *******! In snow they are really bad, on my RX8 on a nice day they are very good indeed!

cheers Jason

Actually, I did not know there were 2 versions.

If you have the AWD version, the system is not manually switchable and is governed by the electronics. The car will normally be running front wheel drive only to reduce fuel consumption, and the rear wheels will only engage when the car feels that they need to.

However, as per previous comments, the car is not designed for the rough.

I've only been driving the RX300 since 2004 and have probably been reading this forum for just as long. As far as I knew the RX300 has always been permanent 4 wheel drive and came in only one drive version. When the RX400 came out they changed it to 2 wheel drive but made the car capable of delivering power to the rear wheels if slip was detected. If this is wrong could someone please elucidate.

I've only been driving the RX300 since 2004 and have probably been reading this forum for just as long. As far as I knew the RX300 has always been permanent 4 wheel drive and came in only one drive version. When the RX400 came out they changed it to 2 wheel drive but made the car capable of delivering power to the rear wheels if slip was detected. If this is wrong could someone please elucidate.

It seems that some early, ie Mark1, RX300s and Toyota Harriers were only two-wheel drive but that Mark 2s were all four wheel drive. In no instance could it be switched between modes by the driver.

The RX400 is of course front-wheel drive but self selects 4-wheel drive when required - the diagram on the dash board shows this in real time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_RX

helps on the point.

I

Actually, I did not know there were 2 versions.

If you have the AWD version, the system is not manually switchable and is governed by the electronics. The car will normally be running front wheel drive only to reduce fuel consumption, and the rear wheels will only engage when the car feels that they need to.

This is also my understanding. However, I must say that I've read both here and in the US forum that the default setting of the central diff is 50-50%, like the Audi's, say. My RX sure handles as a front wheel drive in normal conditions (torque 90% front?), and that might confirm DanD's info.

Furthermore, most of the people (including dealers) have difficulties grasping the difference between a full-time 4WD with 50-50% torque and 90-10% torque.

Would be glad to hear a final word on this topic!

Actually, this is a good point, confirmed by the fact that the hybrid has two electric motors. One over the front axle, the other over the rear axle. I am sure I remember reading somewhere - it may even be in the owner's manual - that while the front power train can be powered by either the petrol engine or the electric motor... or both, the rear power train is powered by the rear electric motor only.

I would still argue that, ultimately, both versions are AWD, although power delivery is different.

Another key difference is the gearbox as I do not believe the petrol only version use the CVT gearbox that is in the 400h... but that's another story ;-)

This would go towards clarifying Alan's comments above, where he suggested that the RX300

I can confirm that on the awd RX 400H, power on the rear axle comes by a second electric engine, which is smaller than the front one. However, a few years ago they sold, here in Italy, a "cheaper" version of the 400H with 2WD only. I guess they just took the second electric engine out. Same 2WD version could be found in the US.

Now, with the 450H, all the cars are AWD (at least, down here).

Hi Shaho

All UK RX 400h cars are 4x4.. it's all decided upon and controlled by the 400's computers. No need to select anything. Sit back and enjoy excellent traction in the snow. :-)

• 2 years later...

My RX 300 SEL UK version is permeant 4 wheel drive. I believe all UK model of RX300 is AWD. The snow function is quite good. Once it turn on, AWD become much heavier and it stands on the ground better.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links