Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Time To Change The Timing Belt?

Hi and Good Morning. Have you had the car the whole time? Did you have the belt changed at 100,000 miles yourself? I think the final decision lies with you, but Lexus brought the change date for cambelts forward to 60,000 miles following some issues from some owners. If the cambelt was done at 100,000 miles, then you should be okay until 160,000.

It think it would not be advisory to attempt to get to 200,000 miles before changing it. For the what else, Lexus recommended all auxiliary belts and water pump when i had mine done at 125,000 miles, though mine hadn't been done at 60,000 or 120,000 miles. Mine hadn't been done at all . . .

Think there's a time interval as well, 3 or 5 years can't remember at minute, but your's falls outside both anyway. I would get it done just for peace of mind.

• Like 1

Just has my done on last Wednesday , which part of my services, and got a big old rx450h to take home! , while waiting.

Like the guys say on above get it done , or even get it check first would be a gd start.

• 4 weeks later...

If just a cambelt and water pump should not be no more than 800 but I have my schedule service done too so the bill gone over, but I am planning to keep car. I would say if u know what you doing , do it self and use a oem parts, they is some topic about replacing timing belt and a video also....I'm sure some here will help you out.

but they are 2 different engine chris, but that's i have pay anyway. And since u doing a cambelt anyway why not doing a watering pump too!, I go even further getting new spark plug as well, and more, but like I say if u know what u doing than do it yourself.

There's pretty much no price difference in maintaining a 200/300. Lexus Bristol has told me that the service plans are identical for a 200 and 300.

As I've said before mate, my best friend drives a 300. He had his cambelt and water pump done at Lexus and cost him £480ish...also on the 300 you don't need to change the tensioner as apparently it's more robust so if anything it should be a cheaper job on the 300 compared to a 200.

• 1 month later...

Just had a qoute from Lexus Liverpool for cam belt, tensioner and idler - £300 inc vat. Waiting for local independents to quote but can`t see it being much less.

No it won't be, that's what I paid at Lexus. Got a quote of £280 from one independent so I thought for the sake of £20 I'll go with Lexus. Plus you get nice coffee, biscuits, comfy sofa and sky sports news on the TV while you wait :)

Good quotes these. I called Toyota and they quoted me £300 just for labour for a cambelt job. Im wondering if they heard me wrong and quoted me for parts and labour as that would work out at £100 a hour for a 3 hour job :blink:

I asked just for labour, i had the parts. Its a 3 hour job quoted by autodata and thats pushing it. Ian said he did it himself in 3 hours and hes never done it before. £300 for labour is ridiculous when a good garage will charge £40 - £50 a hour

Interesting link above, I was told when picking up our IS300 after cambelt change that Lexus were trying to get the "older cars" serviced by them at a "fair" cost.

I wonder what the equivalent charges are for post 2005 cars?