Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Led Light Bulbs

Sethyhead

Hi All

I am considering changing some of the bulbs (interior and exterior) for new ones

The indicator bulbs show up as frayed eggs so I know you can get silver looking ones (I had them in previous cars) but I was considering LED

Any thoughts or has anyone done this?

Also may change the footwell bulbs for blue LED as I think this would go well with the cup holder light?

Why do you think that an Eco car doesn't come with a full LED kit?

Seth

"Any thoughts or has anyone done this? "

I have done it with another vehicle and had to change the indicator relay since the LEDs draw less current than the old fashioned indicator relay was designed for. I am not sure which type of relay is used in the Lexus CT and so I dont know whether a change of flasher relay would be required.

"Also may change the footwell bulbs for blue LED as I think this would go well with the cup holder light?"

Yep! right on there!

"Why do you think that an Eco car doesn't come with a full LED kit?"

Its the demon bean counters dictating engineering issues again... pure economics, I suspect.. despite theoretically being able to use thinner cables to feed the circuits, I suspect that the tiny little LED running currents require such thin cables that the mechanical strength of the cable and its resistance to vibration comes into consideration. In other words, they have to run relatively thick cables so that they dont fracture with the vibration and so they might as well stick incandescent lamps on the ends of the cables because the lamps cost less than LED options.

Seth

Cheers for that Geof

I think I will try changing the indicator bulbs first and see how that goes. I have read a lot on the US forum and loads of people have changed lots of the bulbs successfully.

In the book is just gives the wattage and says 'wedge type' so am a little confused as to what type I should get?

501 / 585 / w5w? Are these all the same? Anyone know what UK type bulb number should I look for?

Also if that works there are replacements for the main 'dipped beam' front lights H11. I know on the higher spec CT they have LED main lights, are they just bulbs or is the full lighting unit different?

Help great fully received. Come on don't be shy!

Seth

Hi All

The first bulb changes have taken place (see photos)

I ordered some 501 LED bulbs from eBay and fitted them to the interior front lights and the number plate. I would recommend getting led's with all round light for the lights above the visors and the numberplate as they are angled to use the 'all around' type bulb (I've ordered more!). The ones in the centre are angled down so a 'spot' type LED works well.

Thoughts / comments please

post-46410-0-36821800-1365093835_thumb.j

post-46410-0-78135800-1365093890_thumb.j

post-46410-0-88537500-1365093920_thumb.j

Hi Peter

Sorry for the late reply

Try this one

2x T10 W5W 501 194 168 Car White 10 SMD LED Side Light Wedge Bulb Lamp DC 12V UK

I use the ipad app so it's hard to copy links. They were £1.89 for two bulbs.

Yes the interior front ones are all 501's or T10 (same thing) and so are the number plate ones

The centre light is a festoon 30mm squeezes in ok.

Hope this helps

Seth

• 3 months later...

I think you might find the use of LED lights, apart from factory fits, is illegal in the UK. Any non Fleabay site will certainly warn that these are not for use on public highway but simply for `shows`

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links