Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Economy Is Good!

My best out of half a tank motorway driving only with 2 person on board and fully loaded boot at 70-80mph

IS300

img0495r.jpg

On the same trip managed to get just over 500 miles of a full tank 85% motorway driving

(not the same tank of petrol as the above pic)
img0507sh.jpg
  • Like 1

Oh. Hehehe. Yeah. I do a lot of coasting as well.

haha i got into seriously bad habits when had a manual (my first car) of coasting :whistling:

Driven autos ever since....

On the same trip managed to get just over 500 miles of a full tank 85% motorway driving

(not the same tank of petrol as the above pic)

500 miles out of 13.2 gallons(full tank) in a 3litre automatic petrol is the best i have seen Koko.. this equates to roughly 38mpg. on a combined 85 mile town/motorway trip with cruise control set at 70mph i average 33mpg and i suppose the longer one spends on a long cruising motorway drive, the more mpg is being extracted from the engine. I guess this might be due to the fact that at 70mph our engines are only turning at 2500rpm. The VW Touran TDI staff car i use occasionally at work turns at 1500rpm at the same 70mph. This is only 1000rpm lower than the IS300 cruising at the same speed which explains your good mpg because at this speed in overdrive gear, the IS300 is barely stressed or working hard and this can result in it relaxing like a diesel engine and sip fuel.. thats not bad for an engine built using 90's technology... are you running some special type of engine oil and fuel we don't know about lol

This was on a 1450+ miles trip I usually do twice a year and normally get 460+miles out of a full tank. If I remember right as it was nearly 2 year ago filled up with 67L of petrol after the 500 miles but still dont know how I did that, I dont drive like an old man.

Noticed if you drive around 80mph the car feels more economical and responsive than under, also I dont use cruse control when I care about fuel as the car uses more petrol (I know its hard to believe but true) check this out: http://youtu.be/YBKlo_sfmVE?t=4m34s

All I had is an oil change w/filter using Castrol Edge 5w30 and OEM filter.

My friend drives a 330d (chiped) and his engine rpm is nearly same as mine on motorway speed but he gets 600 miles less than 60L of diesel. :whistling:

ahh Kolrobi so its you... i remember watching a vid of you a while back with you and a BMW 330d in rolling acceleration in different gears and each time you gained on him.. arent those diesels meant to have like 500NM of torque.. :lol: I heard this quote a while back "Diesel torque is only important when a petrol car is in the wrong gear" :D

ahh Kolrobi so its you... i remember watching a vid of you a while back with you and a BMW 330d in rolling acceleration in different gears and each time you gained on him.. arent those diesels meant to have like 500NM of torque.. :lol: I heard this quote a while back "Diesel torque is only important when a petrol car is in the wrong gear" :D

yep thats me :driving:

Only had a K&N panel filter against his stock bm. According to the http://www.chipexpress.com/products/154/'>Website he bought a kit from, engine puts down more than 500NM on max setting :whistling:

Fitted a full catback system on mine since then and still can keep up with him on motorways

so at least you have confirmed i wasnt seeing things when i notice myself keeping up and passing those 3.0litre Diesel BM's and Audis who tried it on with thier 500NM of torque lol.. told some guys on here the paper figures makes the car look like its a slow performer but in real life it can out accelerate a 500nm deisel in rolling acceleration in pretty much all gears..

Acceleration feels faster in almost any diesel in its class (specially when chipped) due to high torque but petrol cars can keep up when get to rpm

The 300 is not that slow as most people say but of course not the fastest either these days when there are turbocharger petrol engines in most new cars but how long they will be reliable?!

Owning my IS for nearly 4 years now but still love it and cant wait to sit in and drive it off. Love the E-shift too :phone:

yeh that and the turbo lag the experience aswell.. dont get me wrong when the turbo is kicked in, they are mighty but 90% of the time they have to wait for it to spool up and by that time, we are already gone in PWR mode E-Shift.. :lol:

You guys really make me want a 300! any of you 300 owners going to the may meet so i can have a go :innocent:

on the subject of diesel, not a fan, but have to say this new BI Turbo setup looks impressive to eliminate the lag

You guys really make me want a 300! any of you 300 owners going to the may meet so i can have a go :innocent:

on the subject of diesel, not a fan, but have to say this new BI Turbo setup looks impressive to eliminate the lag

might make it Petey depending on plans. was thinking of getting an Imprezza or more so the Masda MPS but the prices of turbo's when they break is eye watering. more over i like the sound of a big naturally aspirated car.. and they dont inheret no lag. drop down a gear or two in an NA car and you are gone.. but its sad now as the Euro Emission laws are rendering big NA engines obsolete and newer cars are all being fitted with 2.0litre turbos or 1.6 turbos. even the new BMW M5 has forgone the 5 litre V10 for a 4.4 turbo V8. it will be more economical and might be a tenth or two quicker but wont sound like a V10..same as the high revving Celica's and Honda Type R's they have all been discontinued and newer models will be fitted with Turbo engines..

am an NA engine man.. :msn-cry:

Bi-turbo is so '00 Pete :whistling::lol:

They're all going to Tri-turbo now....

Bet that's a right laugh with turbo failures at £700 a pop :blink:

OMG really lol sorry. Ive only seen it recently on newer audis and such. Jag S type 2.7 i think i first saw it and thought it was cool lol