Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sticky Caliper?

Balsca

My Front drivers side wheel is making a squealing/scraping sound as it drives along, not sure how long its been like that as my wife drives mainly these days.

As i had a day off and the lady and kids are abroad I took the wheels off to have a look. Ive noticed that the pads are worn but not dangerously or anything, still a few mm left. Ive ordered some new pads all round and will fit them next week.

I turned the wheel and it scrapes a little but still not difficult to turn or anything, and has always been like this, but i noticed when i pressed the brake and released it, it was very difficult to turn and makes the loud scraping/screeching sound that i get driving.

The pads are worn evenly both side on wheels and while the calipers are pretty warm they arnt red hot like my friends which had completely seized.

Is this looking like the start to a sticky caliper or could this be something else?

Ive copper greased the squeal plates etc to no effect.

Any ideas? Not sure to order a caliper off eBay or not.

Cheers

Iain

Since youve already jacked it up and span the wheel, it doesnt sound like its sticking to me. It also wouldnt make a noise when not braking if it was sticking, but would squeel when using the brakes. Mine was hard to turn everytime and was only the one wheel, although saying that i only found it was sticking when it got really bad in the later stages, it could well of been getting worse gradually, but if there evenly turning with the same resistance its prob not sticking. Its normal to have a bit of resistance. If its just warm after heavy use of the breaks i.e town driving then thats normal, but generally the IS brakes dont get very hot from normal use.

I had a squeeling/scraping in one of my brakes over winter because a bit of grit got wedged somewhere, before i got chance to take a closer look it worked its way out. Also could be the wear indicator like you said. If your pads are low (easy to check...) yeah get new ones and see what happens...but dont go replacing parts that are fine for the sake of it like ive seen some ppl do, try and find out the problem...

Where is the wear indicator and what causes it to make a scraping noise as I think I may have this issue also? My scraping noise disappears when I brake if that helps someone's diagnosis?

The indicator is a small metal clip on the inside pad that scrapes the disc when it gets too low.

I changed the pads and while yes it was the indicator scraping, the O/S wheel had a couple of mm pad left, the N/S had plenty, over half a pad.

The pistons were pretty hard to push in (not seized tho) on the O/S so it looks like the caliper is on its way out. I may get one of the seal kits and try do it myself.

Any suggestions on how to get the caliper nice and silver again instead of black and cruddy?

Cheers

Try you slide pins 1st mate, I thought my calliper was sticking so I replaced the callipers with no affect, I the changed both the discs and pads with no affect again. I then went and changed my slide pins at a cost of £70 from lexus and happy days they work like a dream.

Cool. I am replacing discs pads and cleaning up and re-greasing the slide pins this weekend.

Can someone answer me this - why is it not just as effective to clean up the original slide pins and re-grease them? What benefit do you get with brand new pins?

Cool. I am replacing discs pads and cleaning up and re-greasing the slide pins this weekend.

Can someone answer me this - why is it not just as effective to clean up the original slide pins and re-grease them? What benefit do you get with brand new pins?

Generally you find that not only are the pins sticking but the chrome plating has also started to come off so you then have bits of loose chrome adding to the problem,also where the chrome comes off you then find the pins rust and corode leading to an uneven pin surface this then adds to the problem.

For what they cost replacement is considered the best option with regular removal and regreasing to maintain them.

Oke doke. All taken on board thanks very much guys.

This weekend I shall just remove inspect clean and grease as I have MOT on Tues and the brakes will fail in their current state. If the problem persists then I will of course replace the pins and look after my new ones ;-)

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Generally you find that not only are the pins sticking but the chrome plating has also started to come off so you then have bits of loose chrome adding to the problem,also where the chrome comes off you then find the pins rust and corode leading to an uneven pin surface this then adds to the problem.

For what they cost replacement is considered the best option with regular removal and regreasing to maintain them.

Changed the pins on mine for original Lexus ones, and i'm pretty sure they were not chrome...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links