Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

john leeds

hi all

i was wondering about getting a custom stainless exhaust for my sc ,the guy in the garage has told me that it will improve acceleration ,mpg and give a smoother drive bt im not sure it will .can anybody shed some light on this subject before i buy .its a longlife agent that ive seen,any advise will be greatly appreciated pros or cons please many thanks john

I can not say much about an SC but i have had stainless fitted to all my previous cars (not my current Subaru Forester).

Yes it makes the throttle response a bit crisper, improved MPG? possibly but not too noticeable but that could be because of the sportier sound that makes you drive a little more spirited & so offsets the increase.

obviously a stainless system has the potential of being slightly heavier but should out live the car. You will probably have an increase in sound. some of my systems have had tailpipe inserts that do quieten the system down.

Hi ray

Yes but I don't want a bad boy noise but a nice mature barble that the car deserves.Lexus has done a great job silencing the v8 I just want to hear it a little ,I just wondered if anyone has done it already and what was the outcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ray

Yes but I don't want a bad boy noise but a nice mature barble that the car deserves.Lexus has done a great job silencing the v8 I just want to hear it a little ,I just wondered if anyone has done it already and what was the outcome.

I like it the way it was meant to be.. completely quiet. I really have no need to advertise my cars engine. it does what it does very effectively and is soooo comfortable on a run who needs boy racer dramatics. thats not what its for.

hi all

i was wondering about getting a custom stainless exhaust for my sc ,the guy in the garage has told me that it will improve acceleration ,mpg and give a smoother drive bt im not sure it will .can anybody shed some light on this subject before i buy .its a longlife agent that ive seen,any advise will be greatly appreciated pros or cons please many thanks john

On the topic.... I have experience of Longlife from a friends car. it was a very economic alternative but ended up too noisy. He went for what they call mid sport but it sounded like more sport than mid !!

It seems these are all straight through systems and they never deaden the sound like the original. I think it spoils the car as its meant to be quite with a capital Q.

• 2 weeks later...

If you get one fitted will you make the SC louder so it sounds like the V8 it has?

Tony Banks in Leeds do custom exhausts, and at good prices too.

I have an LS430 and am going to be changing the exhaust to one from Tony Banks in Leeds.

I did call him to check out what is done etc, he stated that you can do various things with the bespoke fitting, different tailend fittings, including making it just as quiet as it is originally, you can go down the V8 burble route as well if you wish.

Just a note, the replacement exhaust is only the sections from the cat back, not the entire thing to the manifold.

I would recommend giving them a call and out your mind at ease first.

Hello l have a longlife one on my IS 200,however I have a chambered back box instead of a straight through one as well as a middle box, as a result it is only just slightly louder than the OEM one on start up,and has a slightly deeper note similar to that of a BMW 325 for instance,which I like.I never wanted mine to sound like a boy racer as I think it spoils the car,so was very particular about what I wanted,so after only having the chambered back box fitted and finding it too loud took it back and had a middle box added,hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

Nothing will make a 430SC 'smoother' its just not possible. The SS exhausts are a type of straight through systems in theory they do have less back pressure so can improve performance and economy 'marginally'. They offer various 'sounds' and the only 'sound' natural for a 430sc is no 'sound' at all. That's the whole point of the car. So I would only go for a bespoke SS system for the price they are cheap compared to a Lexus System.. Thee is no way the SS bespoke fit could match the original. I once considered it for cost and was recommended a 'mid sport' system at a good price. When I said I wanted it kept as the original I was told, 'I would love to say we could do it but we just cant'. luckily I went into a pig field just after that destroyed all the exhauset and ripped of the end finishers (£80 each) the insurance has given me a brand new system and a re sprayed car.. Back of the net.

• 2 weeks later...

My SC exhaust has started blowing and I have enjoyed the V8 burble, but it goes in for a SS custom made replacement using a Range Rover Sport rear box as that's only 20mm smaller than what's on there.

So Thursday I will have it all fitted and they tell me it will be as quiet as it was before.

It's also a third of the price Kwik fit wanted. Not that I was going to use them just they are near and I wanted to see where it was blowing from.

If you want the 430sc to have more throttle response/ Press the button provided it works very well. messing up a perfectly good exhaust system isn't going to help. If you want your 430 sc to make more noise. Drill a few holes in the exhaust with a small diameter drill (maybe 4mm) though why anyone would want to do so defeats me.

The only two reasons for fitting a stainless steel exhaust system on an otherwise Ok 430SC are:

1. its cheaper than a Lexus part.

2. It will last longer (but that means your going to have to exceed around 50,000 miles on the new system)..

Power ?? Acceleration?? Smoothness?? no chance. The only ones who try to confirm this are those that want to sell stainless exhaust and those that have bought them. (cognitive dissonance rules)

hi all

Don't believe everything you hear, having said that I was impressed by my SC430 as purchased from the Lexus dealer in Belfast.

My car has had only one previous owner who fitted a sports exhaust with an upgraded air intake system.

Personally I don't care about the mpg of my vehicle, but love more the sound and individuality when accelerating through the automatic gearbox.

Having recently considered upgrading to a newer SC430, I was put off with the 'lack of occasion' the newer vehicle delivered.

So if considering an upgrade to a sports exhaust, try to drive an SC with a standard and another with a sports exhaust - this will be your best test!

Happy Driving !!!!!!!!

I think some on this board are driving the wrong car. The whole point of an SC430 is to travel effortlessly along the road at good speeds without a sound. That's what it is built to do best.

I overtook a row of traffic today and a boy racer in a 250bhp (ish) VXR (who had just overtaken them too) without a sound. Magic carpet motoring.

You cant beat it because those who want to make a fuss just are satisfying needs some of us just don't have (or got over, years ago).

Noise is unwanted sound.

The sound of others in a car is unwanted sound.

The sound of my car is unwanted sound. That's why I listen to music on a mark Levison Sound system. No point in having one on a noisy car.

If you want a V8 burble buy another car with a burbling V8. Don't mess up an otherwise excellent vehicle that does something special.

I think some people on this board forget that it is the posters car, and they can do what they want with it. If you want a V8 burble, and love everything else about your car but the lack of that exhaust note, then change whatever you want to make it sound how you want it.

• Like 4

Everyone is different, which is perhaps why we select vehicles that are as individual as we are.
Sometimes we may even desire to 'spec' a vehicle to make it even more individual than the one we last owned.

The funny thing is, I always considered myself an old fart - 'very boring in my selection of vehicles', but thats just me.......... So when I purchased my SC from the local Lexus dealer, I thought I was continuing in my 'methodical boring mode'.
The result however was a low mileage car previously owned by a 'less boring elderly owner' who installed a sports exhaust and air intake. Perhaps that's what caused his stroke in the end.
Whatever it was, the result for me was a vehicle that is both gorgeous to look at, and an enjoyment to listen to and drive.

My point is this, should we judge others that have a different view and perspective on life and their cars?
or just enjoy life as it is - just pure enjoyment !!!!!!!!

So whatever you do - enjoy your vehicle as it is - without thought of disappointing others!

• Like 1

Well Mike Stokes Motorsports in Bournemouth have built me a custom stainless steel exhaust. This was a third of tHe price I had been quoted for a replacement exhaust and they did a superb job.

The car is now back to its quiet understated self.

As much as I did enjoy the V8 burble when it was blowing there is something special about its quiet efficient manner and I am glad it's replaced.

Forgot to say we all love our cars and if we want them loud and brash or quiet and understated then that's fine by me, each to their own and all that.

• Like 1

Forgot to say we all love our cars and if we want them loud and brash or quiet and understated then that's fine by me, each to their own and all that.

That's quite right but there are many cars out there just asking to be brash and loud so picking one that was made to be the opposite and messing it up does seem a little irrational !!

Makes me laugh.

• 6 years later...

Hi has anybody actually had a SS exhaust fitted by Tony Banks in Leeds, cat back fitted £400? I think that price is +vat, sounds a good deal comparatively  just 200 mile round trip to Leeds puts me off a little, thank you!

1 hour ago, Localhero said:

just 200 mile round trip to Leeds puts me off a little,

that would be a godsend right now if you could justify taking your young lady out for a spin .............. essential vehicle / transport maintenance if you're a Key Worker perhaps !

Malc

• 3 weeks later...

I have changed the name of my lovely sc430 to the money pit! Had a new ss exhaust  at Tony Banks leeds full exhaust £695 i went for quiet and inside car hood up it really is no louder than before maybe a tiny bit on acceleration, outside the car it has a nice but not noisy little growl so far very pleased with it car averaged 29  mpg going 28 coming back according to tripometer on dash, happy to answer any questions cat back exhaust £480 fitted  LH

19 minutes ago, Localhero said:

I have changed the name of my lovely sc430 to the money pit! Had a new ss exhaust  at Tony Banks leeds full exhaust £695 i went for quiet and inside car hood up it really is no louder than before maybe a tiny bit on acceleration, outside the car it has a nice but not noisy little growl so far very pleased with it car averaged 29  mpg going 28 coming back according to tripometer on dash, happy to answer any questions cat back exhaust £480 fitted  LH

You have got the cheapest and best quality money pit money can buy Stewart.

Have we seen a piccie yet from you?