Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Coilovers

shuaibakhtar

Hi there, i wanted to lower my 220d, but wasnt sure how well it would work, i was looking at going about 40 to 50mm lower than stock height as its sitting on 18" and theres quite a bit of gap in the arches.

I just wanted to know how badly this will affect the tyre wear and other things that could be of a disadvantage, im clearly aware that the ride will be much stiffer but apart from that.

The coilovers that i was looking to buy were the BC BR coilovers if that helps

Hope someone will be able to help me

You will suffer from premature tyre wear. You need to get something like the SPC camber kit for the front and Megan camber arms for the rear. (SPC do rear arms too). This will hopefully bring the camber back by a decent amount. However I doubt that you will be able to bring them back to OEM tolerances if you intend to drop the car by 50mm.

According to a fellow forum member 'Tango' you won't need camber adjustment for drops up to 30mm. Anything more requires a camber kit. I think the only spring that offers you a 30mm drop front and rear is Eibach Pro EU spec. You could always get coilovers for a 30mm drop too but for me it would be a waste of money. I would only use coils in applications where springs aren't available.

All around. I am planning on taking the H&R route myself. I intend on installing them within the next 2-3 weeks and then will get an alignment in due course. I'll keep the car in a test phase for 2-3 months to judge tyre wear before getting myself a camber kit.

I don't want premature tyre wear since I will be getting 19 inch wheels eventually and the tyres are about £250 each.