Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Or Gs300 - Decisions Decisions!

Hi folks!

Been reading a while, need to get some opinions....i.e. help me decide.

I'm looking to get a Lexus, used, and have my eye on either an IS250 or GS300, both around the 2006 / 2007 sorts of age. I am looking at the auto IS only.

I like my toys, so I'm going to be looking at SE spec with sat nav for the IS, which brings it bang in line with used prices for the GS, so....

Which should I go for? In real world terms, is there a big difference in (motorway) MPG? It doesn't seem that way according to 'official' numbers. I very *very* rarely drive in town, if I do it's at the weekend. Most driving (only circa 9,500 miles per year!) is motorway (inc driving to work).

The biggest number difference I can see - and the one which I'm really loathed to pay - is the VED, which is a shocking £470 for the big GS compared with £170 for the IS!

If the real world MPG stacks up similarly, then my options are still open - I really can't decide!

Sorry if this is in the wrong place - didn't want to put this in either the IS or GS forums as I guessed I'd get a less objective answer!

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. In the end I went for the IS because I liked it's interior more. IMO the third generation GS had a very dull interior. The centre dash had round buttons which lacked a premium feel. I did prefer the road presence and rear leg room of the GS though. Going by memory here but I think if you go for a GS that was registered pre March 2006 than the road tax will be lower (260). The road tax for the IS250 is 260 too.

In terms of fuel efficiency you can easily get 36-38 MPG on the motorway on the IS250. You will probably end up getting more since most of your driving is motorway. I am not sure about MPG on the GS.

My advice will be to test drive both of them and then decide. I think the GS might be a better car for the motorway.

Here is an interior picture of both cars (2006 - 2007)

GS:

Lexus_GS430_2006_4.jpg

IS

ag_07lexusis_350dash.jpg

Did actually consider a GS300, one thing that put me against it was the ones in my area were quite high mileage and expensive. Also don't under estimate the sheer length of the car, I thought my A4 was a average size compared to others on the lot, until I got it up the driveway! I rekon the GS has at least another foot on it too... absolute quality car though, fully loaded...

If length is not an issue for you, then go for the GS otherwise stick to the IS250 for nippy town parking etc...

Maybe something for you to consider from a different perspective.

economy is probably 4 or 5 mpg in favour of the IS.

depreciation is higher with the GS

GS is quieter, I've always experienced a lot of road noise from the IS250. The IS can feel a little crammed inside, compare to the GS.

GS.......they feel a lot more spacious inside. The IS feels "cramped" to me mainly because of the shape but particularly the black trim models.........and for all you happy IS owners, I am not knocking the IS, just my opinion after driving several IS's that I prefer the GS. If I did ever get an IS250 I think the auto is a smoother drive than the manual.

Thanks for all the replies folks, agree on pretty much all the points. So I'm still a bit torn. Still, it's always nice to have options!

I will say GS300 SE-L if you going to be using it for mainly motorway driving. its roomier, has more power and as confirmed if you stick to an 05, early 55 plate GS then road tax will be the same as an IS250 auto mpg on motorway for GS300 is 39mpg and 40mpg for IS250 1 mpg difference between both cars so there is nothing in it. and the GS will ride better and the IS will take corners better. choice is yours really.. but I personally will go for an 05, 55 plate GS300.

Hi,

I used to drive a Lexus IS 220D 2006 model, just recently I purchased a 2005 GS300 SE with
only 16k on the clock. The drive is smooth and feels like you are sitting in a plane. When you drive this car, you only cruise in the left lane, I used to put my foot down on the IS but this car gives you a whole new feeling. After drivingboth types of cars, GS is the one. Plus everyone at work thinks I own the company. :)

Ume.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks for all your input, very happy to say I took the majority advice and bought an 05 GS 300.

A real steal of a price, needs some very minor TLC on the exterior and usual Lexus wheels, interior and mechanically as new!

Thanks again!