Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mid Stream Change Of Address And Insurers Rip-Off

Malc

Sorry to have upset you Lexmanic ..... I'm always circumspect in what I say, always have thoughts for the future BUT there is nothing to harm when one speaks the simple honest truth and the facts of a situation. Indeed all my conversations with Saga have I am sure been recorded and doubtless if the PA does read this, then the recorded conversation will be listened to and the PR people will no doubt feel it a good idea to ( hopes ) bring a little more compassion to a situation that they are clearly putting their customers into from time to time.

They might also think it's a good idea to try hang on to their existing customers a little better.

Truth is OK; nothing to fear from the truth other than fear itself !

Malc

Facts Truth is no longer a defence against defamation litigation. The mere threat of costly litigation causes many 'truthful' websites to close & their contributors sued for damages

I have been with Churchill for some years since they have so far proved extremely competitive and when I have phoned each year to challenge my renewal quote it has always been reduced by their retentions dept. When I moved from a CV postcode to LN postcode in October my premium went downfrom £290 ish to £175 ish and wifes insurance also went down. Churchill also made no charge for admin costs for either of the car policies or for the house policy. Not all insurers are thieves.

I have NO connection with Churchill other than as a very satisfied customer.

Thank you Dave1 .. I have actually now entered into email correspondence with Saga Customer Relations dept, part of the CEOs Office, Roger Ramsden ( I asked for his PA to review this ) ................ just asked them to take a look at this Forum and would you believe that's not, at this time, seemingly possible !!!!!!!

I'm aghast at all of this right now, hopes they will see some sense and look at this and maybe review what's going on with their Customer Relations, their ethos and integrity, and the pitiful regard and esteem evoked.

I'll keep you all posted

Malc

• 3 weeks later...

Had they come across this site by chance it could be argued that what is stated here is for the members only but your bringing it to their attention changes everything

I'm pleased your happy but believe me many are not

If you wish to establish evidence as to whether or not your premium is being "loaded" for changing address -

give them a ring (or do they do online quotes?) and ask for a new quote at your new address.

Give them your real name, but don't mention the fact you are already a customer.

Then compare that price to the one you were quoted originally.

If the quote is the same, or very similar, then you have grounds for a formal complaint.

If it's not resolved to your satisfaction, then asking the insurance ombudsman to investigate will cost the insurance company £800 (? - I think it's now £800, it used to be £450 a couple of years ago) -

*whether the ombudsman upholds the complaint or not*

They *may* make a goodwill gesture rather than having to fork out for that

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and gals ............ if you take the time to read this perhaps you would advise me as to if I should ask Saga to quote me for Lexus insurance at renewal next February !!

Thank you.

This seems to be the definitive answer from Saga to my consternation and you might notice notice from pge 2 that I am more or less precluded from taking it further forward to The Ombudsman !!!

saga letter 2.pdf

ho hum ...... Malc :whistling:

did you try to get a new quote at your new address, as I suggested above?

That may give you grounds to complain to the ombudsman.

Is the difference really worth the aggro tho?

Hi guys and gals ............ if you take the time to read this perhaps you would advise me as to if I should ask Saga to quote me for Lexus insurance at renewal next February !!

Thank you.

This seems to be the definitive answer from Saga to my consternation and you might notice notice from pge 2 that I am more or less precluded from taking it further forward to The Ombudsman !!!

attachicon.gifsaga letter 2.pdf

Irrespective of what the letter might state you are NOT precluded from making a compliant to the Ombudsman.

Also insurers in such circumstances as these will almost always claim its a commercial underwriting decision Even so if it is it does not absolve them from the Ombudsman finding in your favour

Please also remember that having already been quoted your details & the figure quoted will be recorded on the MIB data base. They claim this is part of their fraud prevention scheme when in reality its used to stop you shopping around for a better quote

Thank you guys ... bigegg, yes, the difference was £141 increase for 10 months to renewal next February ...... and the risk factor was just 1 more crime in the area than at my previous postcode ............... am I wasting my time in taking this to The Ombudsman ??? ........ no other changes to the risk.

Thanks guys

Malc

Thank you guys ... bigegg, yes, the difference was £141 increase for 10 months to renewal next February ...... and the risk factor was just 1 more crime in the area than at my previous postcode ............... am I wasting my time in taking this to The Ombudsman ??? ........ no other changes to the risk.

Thanks guys

Malc

NO as it won't cost you anything but a bit of time & postage

Thanks guys

Malc

Thanks guys

Malc

It isn't just crime figures that affect motor insurance. Accident figures and also the claim history for the area can affect it. Different insurers use different criteria too. If all insurers wanted the same vehicles or type of driver then the comparison sites would be virtually redundant.

Thank you.

Why do you think that you are precluded from going to the ombudsman? The last paragraph in the letter actually spells out that you have the right to do so if you wish! I very much doubt if the ombudsman would find in your favour unfortunately since change of address can frequently result in either an increase or decrease in premium.

Thanks guys

Malc

>Thank you guys ... bigegg, yes, the difference was £141 increase for 10 months to renewal next February ...... and the risk factor was just 1 more crime in the area than at my previous postcode ............... am I wasting my time in taking this to The Ombudsman ??? ........ no other changes to the risk.

Thanks guys

Malc

It isn't just crime figures that affect motor insurance. Accident figures and also the claim history for the area can affect it. Different insurers use different criteria too. If all insurers wanted the same vehicles or type of driver then the comparison sites would be virtually redundant.

The comparison sites are a huge con

Thank you.

Why do you think that you are precluded from going to the ombudsman? The last paragraph in the letter actually spells out that you have the right to do so if you wish! I very much doubt if the ombudsman would find in your favour unfortunately since change of address can frequently result in either an increase or decrease in premium.

Maybe? but the customer is still entitled to be given a reason for the increase In case were I have questioned similar matters it has often LED to the inflated quote being withdrawn

Thank you.

Maybe? but the customer is still entitled to be given a reason for the increase In case were I have questioned similar matters it has often LED to the inflated quote being withdrawn

But the customer HAS been given a reason in the letter. It states clearly that the underwriter considers that the info presented indicates to them that the risk posed to them is greater than when the policy was taken out, which would appear to be caused by the change of address. As I stated previously, when I moved my premium reduced by a considerable amount as did my wife's premium so these things DO work both ways.

Thank you.

But the customer HAS been given a reason in the letter. It states clearly that the underwriter considers that the info presented indicates to them that the risk posed to them is greater than when the policy was taken out, which would appear to be caused by the change of address. As I stated previously, when I moved my premium reduced by a considerable amount as did my wife's premium so these things DO work both ways.

saying something does not make it true he's STILL entitled to the truth to have it proved, in detail, as to why his premium has increased. He should be given the stats so he can check them. Don't believe everything your told particularly by insurers

• 1 month later...

Thank you Lexmanic . I have put this on the backburner for a while to try to come to terms with my thoughts that Saga are really ripping me off ............ and I sincerely think they are ...........

I shall put your point to them succinctly ... " STILL entitled to the truth to have it proved, in detail, as to why his premium has increased. He should be given the stats so he can check them."

Thank you.

Malc

hi,no one seems to have mentioned that the postcode of where you live tends to affect premiums too,you could live in one postcode and move to another possibly five to six streets away and your premiums go up simply because insurance companies consider the new postcode a higher risk area,hope this helps.

Yes it does thanks ... . an earlier helpful thought gave me the Police Crime data figures per postcode and my new one seems to be just one more ( totally insignificant ) reported incident for the period !

My premium went up £141 for the remainder of term and totally, hugely disproportionate to the risk in my view .... let's see where I next get to with requesting the " proof " as outlined above before I go to The Ombudsman ........... balls aching isn't it all eh !!!

Most people would just put it all down to experience and just thoroughly dis-recommend SAGA as being total rip-off merchants but I would now really like to make an example of them and be able to show publicly just cause and reason for my discontent rather than just have a bad feeling about it all.

Interesting that some 600+ views have been made of this item :whistling:

Malc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have now bitten the bullet and found the time to continue with this balls aching business.

I have emailed them the following, simple and succinct.

I shall keep you posted on developments and thank you all thus far for your help and guidance.

Malc

" Please would you now give to me, the full and comprehensive detail as to why
the premium has increased by providing me with all the relevant statistics
used, in order that I can check them or have them checked on my
behalf. "

end