Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 300H F-Sport Review And Colour Combo Question

I test drove the new IS 300h F-Sport today, and now I am completely sold on it. It is so much superior to the previous generation in every way. I have been a very happy owner of a fully loaded IS 250 for three and a half years now, and since it only has 45 000 kilometres on it, I did not see any need to replace it yet. However, having test driven the new generation, I now have a very serious itch.

My review below is based on my three and a half years with the second generation IS (2IS), and I make plenty of references to the old car when describing the new generation (3IS) in the text below.

The car currently touring the Swedish dealers is a pre-production unit. Before driving it, I had to sign a legal document waiving my rights to sue Lexus for any damages related to the car not being production-ready. The car seemed to have all the options, but the centre console inlays were plain black, not the aluminium look the final car will have. Also, it had fog lights, which will not be possible to combine with the F-sport version, at least not in Sweden. Personally, I don't care about fog lights. Mine have never been turned on, and it's just another thing which can be broken by a flying rock, and fail in vehicle inspection. I see a lot of drivers using their fog lights in fair weather for "coolness", but to me it just looks stupid.

For some reason the car was painted in a special colour which will not be offered. It was blue, somewhat darker than Ultra blue, but not nearly as dark as Atlantic blue (look them up in the brochure). The interior was black. Before touring the dealers, this particular car has been displayed at auto shows. Here it is in Geneva.

And here it is in the Lexus Karlstad, Sweden, showroom.

post-30859-0-66645400-1369436962_thumb.j

post-30859-0-34814600-1369436970_thumb.j

Before meeting the car in person and test driving it, I was worried that some qualities from the previous version had been lost. I was particularly worried about the feel of the new interior, and of the hybrid drivetrain.

My 2IS has ivory leather and dark wood, which I really like. Would the new interior feel too much like a black, uptight German interior? No, it does not. The dash, instruments, and centre console feel so much more modern than the 2IS, or any other mass-produced car for that matter. The new digital instrumentation is beautiful, even if I could not get my head around all the information displayed in it during my test drive.

post-30859-0-29499800-1369436979_thumb.j

post-30859-0-91514900-1369437020_thumb.j

It does not look that complicated in these pictures, but when driving it also had the hybrid power flow, cruise control speed, and other information in it.

The infotainment screen is also much prettier than the old one. I still prefer a touch screen over remote touch, despite being somewhat used to it from my wife's CT.

post-30859-0-68074100-1369437027_thumb.j

I noticed one thing which is either a bug, or bad design - when pausing the playback of my ipod, it took several seconds for the playback to actually stop. When starting it again, there was a delay as well. This happened consistently, so it wasn't just a temporary hiccup. There are now two USB inputs, and the name given to my ipod through itunes is displayed when selecting audio source.

And the seats are fantastic. The seats in the previous generation are almost too small for my 184 centimetres. The new seats are much more supporting to the whole body, like the CT's, without losing the comfort of the 2IS. They can also be lowered more than in the 2IS. Also, the steering wheel now has a wider adjustment range, and can be pulled closer to the driver than even I prefer (I move the steering wheel to end stop closest to the driver in most cars).

So the driving position is significantly improved, more so than I expected after reading about a few millimeters lower seats here and a few degrees of steering wheel angle there.

In addition to the steering wheel moving out of the way for entry and exit, the driver's seat now also moves back and forth, as in the larger Lexus models. I was informed this feature can be turned off, if you don't want to crush the knees of backseat passengers when turning off the engine.

Speaking of the rear seat, it should now have more room for long-legged people. I didn't test this thoroughly, but it did seem like my growing kids would be happier there.

The leather does not feel quite as soft as the semi-aniline leather of the 2IS.

Another, perhaps minor, complaint is that Lexus doesn't offer the card key for the 3IS. I have a card key for my 2IS, and I keep this in my wallet always, offloading my keyring from a bulky car keyfob.

I really like the new chassis, which is more comfortable and much more refined than the 2IS. When driving on uneven pavement or crossing railroad tracks, the 3IS with 18 inch wheels is less bumpy than the 2IS with 17 inches! The F-sport has adaptive suspension which can be firmed up by selecting the Sport+ mode. During my test drive I did not feel any difference between the normal and the firm setting. Maybe it takes some time getting to know the car to really feel this.

Before driving it, I was afraid that the hybrid drivetrain would feel "cheaper" than the smooth and well-sounding V6. I already knew from numerous test drives and loaners that the high powered hybrids (LS, GS and RX) are very nice, but my wife drives a CT since March last year, and that drivetrain does not have very much of a luxury feel to it. So where in the spectrum between GS 450h and CT 200h does the IS 300h drivetrain fall? Well, from a performance standpoint it is certainly no 450h, but in terms of refinement, it absolutely feels as luxurious as the 450h. I would say the IS 300h goes 4/5 of the way from the CT to the 450h.

Overall, I would say the response and smoothness of the drivetrain is actually better than the V6. It is slightly slower off the line than the V6. You 2IS owners know that when you floor it from a standstill, the car really shoots off in a way that feels in your stomach for the first second or so. We have the torque converter to thank for this. When revving from a standstill, the torque converter works as an extra reduction gear. When the rpms go up to 3 000 instantly with the car still stationary, the rpms are converted into huge torque at the wheels. All cars with torque converters do this, but in the 2IS this effect is greater than in other cars with similar horsepower that I have driven. My theory is that the naturally aspirated V6 increases its rpms faster than some other (read turbo four cylinder) engines, and that Lexus have not applied quite as strict torque limitation at low gearing as other manufacturers do (all cars limit the torque in lower gears to protect the drivetrain). Anyway, the 300h is not quite as exciting off-the-line, but once it gets going, there is a very connected feeling between the right foot and what goes on at the rear wheels.

As for engine sound, it is not as exciting as the V6. It's not exciting at all, actually, but it is completely acceptable to me. Of course, when you floor it, the rpms get stuck somewhere around 5 200, but the engine sound-proofing is as well done as on the 2IS, and the engine note is much more pleasant than that of the CT. I am not bothered by the constant-rpm acceleration of the LS 600h, the GS 450h, or the IS 300h, but the CT 200h bothers me quite a bit, especially since the payoff in acceleration isn't that great with the CT.

To summarise: if you like the GS 450h, you will probably not have a problem with the refinement of the 300h, but if you would prefer a conventional drivetrain over the 450h, you will not like the 300h either.

When done this well, I would happily switch from V6 to inline four hybrid and never look back. But I would leave the synthetic engine sound from the Active Sound Control system turned off. Forever.

The steering is improved, but I could not really test it, or the turning grip, since my wife who is prone to motion sickness was with me during the test drive. Normally, when test driving a car, I find a roundabout with no cars in it and go around and around at high speed, trying to find the limit of the chassis. Once, when I returned to the Hyundai dealer after having test driven the Genesis Coupé 3.8 V6, and I told the sales guy that the car had passed the "roundabout test", he didn't look so happy. Anyway, roundabouts are "skidpads for the poor", as the Great Father of automotive journalism, the late David E. Davis of Car & Driver put it.

With the improved chassis, steering, and driving position, the new car is a more engaging drive, without losing any of the refinement and comfort of the outgoing generation.

So I am almost ready to jump the gun on an F-Sport with all the options. The question is which interior and exterior colours to choose. I really prefer tan or ivory leather, but that is not available on the F-Sport. I will do almost anything to avoid an all-black interior, so that leaves only the dark rose, which I actually find quite beautiful, though I have yet to see it in person.

As for the exterior, my current car is white pearl which I really like, even though it has become too common on the roads here, and I would really like a change from white. Some time ago I said that my next Lexus will be Mesa Red, but I don't think that will go well with the red interior. Black, grey and silver are completely out of the question for me. I find Ultra blue quite interesting, ever since it was first introduced as an exclusive colour for the IS F in the North American market only.

So my preferred combo is Ultra blue with dark rose interior. But my wife is a little worried that it will be "too much colour". It is my car, so I can choose whichever colour I like without having to please her, but she has a good sense of colour and design in general, so I value her opinion.

What to you think?

Sounds very nice. Unfortunately, a new one would be out of the question for me so ill wait 3 years or a nice second hand model.

I will certainly be following threads about reliability and comfort and build quality.

Keep us posted with pictures, just don't rub it in too much.

Carl

I test drove the new IS 300h today, and now I am completely sold on it. It is so much superior to the previous generation in every way. I have been a very happy owner of a fully loaded IS 250 for three and a half years now, and since it only has 45 000 kilometres on it, I did not see any need to replace it yet. However, having test driven the new generation, I now have a very serious itch.

I particularly like the new chassis, which is more comfortable and much more refined than the previous car's.

Before meeting the car in person and test driving it, I was worried that some qualities from the previous version had been lost. Particularly, I was afraid that the hybrid drive line would feel "cheaper" than the smooth and well-sounding V6. I already knew from numerous test drives and loaners that the high powered hybrids (LS, GS and RX) are very nice, but my wife drives a CT since March last year, and that drive line does not have very much of a luxury feel to it. So where in the spectrum between GS 450h and CT 200h does the IS 300h drive line fall? Well, from a performance standpoint it is certainly no 450h, but in terms of refinement, it absolutely feels as luxurious as the 450h. Of course, when you floor it, the rpms get stuck somewhere around 5 200, but the engine sound-proofing is as well done as the previous IS's, and the engine note is much more pleasing than that of the CT.

When done this well, I would happily switch from V6 to inline four hybrid and never look back. But I would leave the synthetic engine sound from the Active Sound Control system turned off. Forever.

My second concern was the overall feel of the new interior. My present car has ivory leather and dark wood, which I really like. Would the new interior feel too much like a black, uptight German interior? No, it does not. The dash, instruments, and centre console feel so much more modern than the outgoing generation, or any other mass-produced car for that matter. And the seats are fantastic. The seats in the previous generation are almost too small for my 184 centimetres. The new seats are much more supporting to the whole body, like the CT's, without losing the comfort of the previous IS. It can also be lowered more than the previous version's. Also, the steering wheel now has a wider adjustment range, and can be pulled closer to the driver than even I prefer (I move the steering wheel to end stop closest to the driver in most cars).

With the improved chassis, steering, and driving position, the car is a more engaging drive, without losing any of the refinement and comfort of the outgoing generation.

So I am almost ready to jump the gun on a F-Sport with all the options. The question is which interior and exterior colours to choose. I really prefer tan or ivory leather, but that is not available on the F-Sport. I will do almost anything to avoid an all-black interior, so that leaves only the dark rose, which I actually find quite beautiful, though I have yet to see it in person.

As for the exterior, my current car is white pearl which I really like, even though it has become too common on the roads here, and I would really like a change from white. Some time ago I said that my next Lexus will be Mesa Red, but I don't think that will go well with the red interior. Black, grey and silver are completely out of the question for me. I find Ultra blue quite interesting, ever since it was first introduced as an exclusive colour for the IS F in the North American market only.

So my preferred combo is Ultra blue with dark rose interior. But my wife is a little worried that it will be "too much colour". It is my car, so I can choose whichever colour I like without having to please her, but she has a good sense of colour and design in general, so I value her opinion.

What to you think?

Hi

I've just ordered the F-Sport Hybrid today in Ultra Blue but with the standard faux leather/cloth combo - I just couldn't justify the extra 2.5k on the leather!

I'm really pleased about your comments regarding refinement, my one and only worry is the fact that it will be running on a 4 cylinder engine - there aren't any in the UK yet to test drive so I have really ordered "blind"

One other thing that would be an improvement would be the addition of some exhaust tips at the rear - other than that I just can't wait!

awesome... tell us more about how did IS300h feel when driving? I have driven plenty of Prii, and found them fine... UK reviewers seem to hate the notion of CVT, although PSD acts differently since there is 42hp motor helping at all time.

As to the color combo... red interior for sure!

The 4 cylinder being more superior to the V6 is something ide have to see to believe

As for colours, cars colours arent bright enough these days, the brighter the better imo :D

What a shame the IS350 isnt available, its just the perfect balance imo

awesome... tell us more about how did IS300h feel when driving? I have driven plenty of Prii, and found them fine... UK reviewers seem to hate the notion of CVT, although PSD acts differently since there is 42hp motor helping at all time.

Was the vehicle you drove an F-Sport?

The 4 cylinder being more superior to the V6 is something ide have to see to believe

I have now updated the review with more details, hopefully answering your questions, and also pictures. Please let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

And thank you for your opinion about the colours.

Funnily, I have not seen any reviews of the IS 300h published yet. There seems to be only American IS 350 reviews, and of course the previews with Jay Leno and others. Are the European publications under some kind of embargo? It seems weird, now that even regular people have been invited to test drives.

let me quote here from whatcar 3/5:

If you're looking for the best all-rounder, the 3 Series remains the car to choose; it has a stronger engine, superior driving manners and a classier, more practical cabin. However, the IS's tiny running costs mean it is worth considering as an alternative to the A4 and C-Class.

one word i have to say to this: HA HA HA.

no, there are UK IS300h reviews everywhere, and they say 300h is terrible and goes beserk and wants to explode when you touch the pedal :-)

the last couple of reviews I've seen haven't been too bad. The earlier ones from the normal motoring press, paid for by the European car industry, haven't been too impressed - it is mainly the CVT gearbox that is the issue.

I agree with you completely. I have never driven the IS 350, and would probably prefer a hypothetical IS 450h, but if the IS 350 was available in Europe I would find it very hard to resist. As I explained above, I really like the new 300h, but an IS 350 would win my heart, since I want the most powerful engine!

I agree with you completely. I have never driven the IS 350, and would probably prefer a hypothetical IS 450h, but if the IS 350 was available in Europe I would find it very hard to resist. As I explained above, I really like the new 300h, but an IS 350 would win my heart, since I want the most powerful engine!

I had GS350 AWD (imported to Europe)... wonderful engine, very fast, very smooth. However... city fuel consumption 15l-20l/100km....

no, there are UK IS300h reviews everywhere, and they say 300h is terrible and goes beserk and wants to explode when you touch the pedal :-)

the last couple of reviews I've seen haven't been too bad. The earlier ones from the normal motoring press, paid for by the European car industry, haven't been too impressed - it is mainly the CVT gearbox that is the issue.

big over-reaction... I had Prius, which is much less hp, which actual shows the "problem" much more but so what... its part of the experience. Just like diesel tick-tack and loss of power over 4500-5000 rpm. It is also not classic CVT, whoever drove real CVT cars knows its much worse, here you get 42hp electric motor giving you instant kick, so it is actually very different.

It is crazy that american media can accept it for what it is, despite their love of BMW for instance, and still rate IS350 better, while you have UK media telling us things like BMW having classier cabin and better steering - what? did they drive it? classier cabin than what? Toyota? Questionable... Lexus certainly not. First thing that was really dissapointing in F30 was quality of interior which was not up to class standards at all. Riding in the back of 320d, I could have been in Avensis.

So much difference in opinion is saddening.

spwolfx I hear you, and luckily the electric motor is around 140hp not 42hp. :)

The problem is the motoring press are treating the vehicle as an out and out sports saloon which it isn't, mainly due to the CVT. This perception isn't helped by the fact that Lexus put in a rather pointless paddle shift system to simulation a more traditional gearbox and the completely pointless simulated engine sound through the stereo.

I would rather Lexus just let the vehicle be what it is, not something it isn't, remove the 'simulation' equipment, save a bit of weight and lower the price with the money saved.

spwolfx I hear you, and luckily the electric motor is around 140hp not 42hp. :)

The problem is the motoring press are treating the vehicle as an out and out sports saloon which it isn't, mainly due to the CVT. This perception isn't helped by the fact that Lexus put in a rather pointless paddle shift system to simulation a more traditional gearbox and the completely pointless simulated engine sound through the stereo.

I would rather Lexus just let the vehicle be what it is, not something it isn't, remove the 'simulation' equipment, save a bit of weight and lower the price with the money saved.

Battery output is max 42hp, there are 2 motors, combined over 200hp, but they help out with 42hp at the end.

All that simulated stuff is useful - for instance if you want to hold "gears" in the corner, thats why it is there... it is all software, no extra weight at all.

US media, usually a lot more conservative have no issues with understanding hybrids while European media think it is Satan coming to steal their precious diesels away.

one motor is just a generator and starter. The real electric motor is rated at 142hp, it is basically the same one as in the US ES300h. The IC engine is also out of the US ES300h but has been reworked and gained an extra 20hp.

The combined system output is around 223hp, this is because the IC engine and the motor outputs are never at maximum at the same time.

The 42hp comes from the motoring press who don't know what they are talking about. They see the engine has an output of 181hp and a total system output of 223hp and therefore assume the motor is 42hp.

The data is all now available on the Lexus EU website:

http://www.lexus.eu/car-models/is/is-300h/index.tmex#/PricesAndSpecifications

The press here in the UK will always put Lexus behind Audi and BMW - never bite the hand that feeds you - Lexus spend much less on advertising than the other marques. If they were to put a multi thousand pound advertising campaign in Auto Express I've no doubt at all that the CVT transmission would be a relevation

one motor is just a generator and starter. The real electric motor is rated at 142hp, it is basically the same one as in the US ES300h. The IC engine is also out of the US ES300h but has been reworked and gained an extra 20hp.

The combined system output is around 223hp, this is because the IC engine and the motor outputs are never at maximum at the same time.

The 42hp comes from the motoring press who don't know what they are talking about. They see the engine has an output of 181hp and a total system output of 223hp and therefore assume the motor is 42hp.

The data is all now available on the Lexus EU website:

http://www.lexus.eu/car-models/is/is-300h/index.tmex#/PricesAndSpecifications

there is no need to argue with another Lexus fan - i worked for Toyota for years, and had Prius for 3... What you are saying is correct with added note of maximum Battery output being 42hp... it is limited by Battery and not by motor... they use stronger motor so they can recover more energy, faster.

For instance, prius plugin has exactly the same motors but uses almost double the hp, since its Battery can handle it. Battery technology and size matters when it comes to maximum output. Of course, even if 100hp was possible, problem would be to recover that much energy between you using it, so it is somewhat of happy medium.

Of course, 42hp is not little - this is why I expect IS300h to be a lot peppier when you press gas at 40 mph than IS250, you simply get 42hp right away, instead of "building up to it" with classic engine. It is like electric turbo.

Thing is the IS350 isnt even that bad on fuel, petrol engines have come a long way but people just wont bite the bullet and see. I mean my IS200 has the fuel consumption of a modern V8, its crazy, but since i cant afford anything that new ill have to stick to it

Whats been mention above is the exact reason i follow the US car media, they are just more clued up when it comes to cars and know whats what. They are factual and down to earth

I just hate the Europeon biased opinions, how can they possibly talk down about the new IS cabin. The BMW interior has had that same boring look for the last 15 years. What annoys me most is that so many ppl will just go along with what they read or get told by idiots like Jeremy Clarkson and make there minds up for them

If anyones interested i watch steve hammis on drive time, saabkyle04,motortrend, jay leno's garage, car&driver and afterdrive on youtube. Car buyers reviews on youtube are not to bad for European models that wont be found across the pond. Also subscribe to various RSS feeds on my phone as well as check out road & tracks website once in a while. Just remember to convert MPG figures to UK Gallons

Just saw a very good video review of IS300h F-sport. The summary is The chassis is good and it handles better than the previous IS but it lacks of any kind of sportyness due to ECVT. It doesn't feel like the car has 200+ BHP. When you want the power, its not there (pretty much like CT200h).

Peronally I think Lexus should not offer F-sport package on 300h. Tehy should focus more on luxury and comfort. The main goal of 300h is the fuel economy not spoty driving. The F-sport is better suited on IS250/350 (even though the 250 also lacks of power). A 300h F-sport is like a sheep in wolf's clothing. I hope Lexus will address this issue on the next refresh of the 3IS. :)

Got my invite for the new IS test drive today from Lexus GB but no Open Road or Launch invite from Lexus Derby. Perhaps after all these years they have realised I'm not going to buy a new car. :whistling:

Oh well looks like I'll have to make do with coffee and biscuits when I pop in for an oil filter and sump plug washer.

I imagine the 300h F-Sport is still better/faster than the 250 F-Sport. Shame we won't get the 350, as with the Gen 2 it seems to be US bound only.

Its a little slower than 250... I also want the 350. There you got the power that match the look.

1. I forget which one it was but I'm sure one of the reviews states that the IS300h has the best in gear performance than any of its rivals

in terms of effortless driving it probably wins where you have the instant torque from the electric motor. But it really isn't fair to compare directly against a normal transmission vehicle which is held in-gear, the IS will rev up the engine so I don't feel it is technically being 'held' in-gear

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links