Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lpg Conversion Pics By Profess On My Mark 4

I tried using stuff you put in the tyres that automatically seal a puncture when you have one. But it seemed to upset the balance of the wheel, despite the fact it wasn't supposed to do so.

I'd guess fitting a tyre on the roadside would be hard! It's hard enough on a bike, so getting a great big tyre over the rims might be a bit difficult?

I guess it depends on how much boot room you need?

Its breaking the seal is the difficult part. Lighter weight and a bit of space in the centre of the tyre means you don't lose a lot of Boot space.  Also I am guessing if you need rescuing by whatever service they may be able to fit the tyre. I used to also carry the squirty stuff and over many many thousands of miles never needed the spare wheel or squirty. but you can bet your life if you leave it out - you'll need it!

I am with the RAC and have been for more years than I care to remember but as a disabled driver they promise to get to me within 30mins, most often or not its a lot sooner than that. I have to call them for tyre changes and they are always happy & cheerful. Mike.

• 5 months later...
On 11/05/2016 at 3:53 PM, piasek said:

Can you tell me which exactly tank have you got fitted (manufacturer, size in mm)? Is it fitted in spare wheel area?

What is effective capacity of this tank?

HI Sorry for such a late reply.  It was already fitted when I brought the car, - it was installed by a company in Ireland called LPGain.  I know it was specially sourced, and yes, it fits in the wheel well.  Not sure how big the tank effectively is, - but I get a +/- 350 miles out of the LPG tank.

5 minutes ago, PJD said:

HI Sorry for such a late reply.  It was already fitted when I brought the car, - it was installed by a company in Ireland called LPGain.  I know it was specially sourced, and yes, it fits in the wheel well.  Not sure how big the tank effectively is, - but I get a +/- 350 miles out of the LPG tank.

With the mileage you declared I think you have an 80litre tank.

Just now, Bluesman said:

With the mileage you declared I think you have an 80litre tank.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised, as the bloke who sold me the car was a bit of a snake in the grass... - I'll have to have a closer look at it and see if it's marked, - i could always post a photo of it here if it's obvious.  I'm still happy though with that range. 

1 hour ago, PJD said:

You know, I wouldn't be surprised, as the bloke who sold me the car was a bit of a snake in the grass... - I'll have to have a closer look at it and see if it's marked, - i could always post a photo of it here if it's obvious.  I'm still happy though with that range. 

On mine, you just remove the cover plate, top centre of the tank, big plastic screws holding it, moveable without tools, and the spec plate is then visible.

I would not have one of those small entry points where an adapter has to be fitted.  I know of a situation where the gas into a Car failed to be stopped by the valve. The Pump gun could not be taken off. The major Service station had to call the Fire Brigade who didn't have a clue what to do, and the Garage management shut down the garage for possibly two hours.because of the problem.  Who knows if that warning on the pump could render someone liable to a claim in damages in the event  such a situation arose.  I believe a piece of debris got into the pipe and blocked the valve from closing down. Very rare event I imagine but I would prefer the larger entry point so that the European Adapter does not have to fit into another Adapter.  I'd happily place the entry point on the bumper rather than the rear wing itself  as it will eventually get rust around it and look nasty. The "Fast filler" Toroidal Tank has a separate tube to vent in the boot that vents downward whilst other Toroidals have a vent tube out, in the centre of the Toroidal Tank which has a sealing plate above the mutivalve and vent pipe.

Must get  a quote to have a conversion. Got new Toroidal fast fill tank, Vaporiser and solenoid valve, Entry point, etc,etc sitting around now for nearly two years. Just need the  Electrics and someone to install, as decided I can't be bothered to do the job. My only worry with pro is that I read on their website they don't take off the Inlet manifold to drill. Various opinions on this.

ps looks a nice neat job.

You could always nail the spare wheel to the boot lid,like the Rover P6's sometimes did. The tank in mine is 78 litres. It is a Prinz system installed in 2008 at a cost of £2115. The tank appears to have come from Poland,and was fitted by LPG Cars in Coventry.

Rover 3500 V8 1972 Series II rear.jpg

On 20/10/2016 at 5:29 PM, runsgrateasanut said:

Must get  a quote to have a conversion. Got new Toroidal fast fill tank, Vaporiser and solenoid valve, Entry point, etc,etc sitting around now for nearly two years. Just need the  Electrics and someone to install, as decided I can't be bothered to do the job. My only worry with pro is that I read on their website they don't take off the Inlet manifold to drill.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/108697-lpg-conversion-and-the-petrol-gauge/

As to the small fillers in the petrol flap - very neat but highly impractical in my opinion. They're very narrow so the fill rate is very slow. Plus, they are quite flimsy in the sense that a lot of pumps have hoses that are 'tethered' and you have to pull the hose against spring pressure. Once attached via the necessary adapter there's a lot of force on that narrow brass filler and brass isn't the strongest material. I know of a couple of cases where the filler has sheared off.

• Like 2