Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dash Cams

As I was informed I seem to live in the cash for crash capital when renewing my cars insurance today, it made me think about purchasing one of those dash or screen mounted cameras to record any incident that may or may not happen ...... anyone used one or can advise on whats what? Don't really want to spend a fortune though.

Use your phone mate. I've done it in the past. I have an Iphone and as long as you use a in car charger (video drains the battery) and a lot of storage space and get a cradle that doesn't cover the camera then it works fine :)

Not sure I'd go and buy a camera just for that purpose.

Hi Rigga. I've been having a little look around too, prices range from £35 - £400. Check with your Insurance provider about what quality/spec camera they would require, ask if they have any incentives or reductions on certain cameras. Then visit Currys and Dixon and see what their prices are like, then see if you can get a discount by stating that you are a Lexus Owners Club member.

Use my phone to listen to music in my car, so using it as a camera is not feasible, also, there would be times when I would simply forget to turn it on.

If I used a phone to do this then the chances are I would forget just when I needed it, so was looking for a dedicated camera that's permanently fixed on the screen behind the rear view mirror, so out of sight and hard to see unless really looked for. This is just for the Lexus as not needed for my other car so no need to be swapped over at times, so should record on a loop as soon as its powered up, and stops when the ignition is turned off, not sure if there is a discount available from the insurance company, but at this moment that's not an issue as the is200 has saved me some money compared to my scooby when it comes to premiums, it was just the conversation I had when I was searching for cover that made me think it might be worthwhile should some scrote decide to try and fleece me.

Jon thats quality, how did you manage to keep it still, especially when going round corners?

Rigga check this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-Smallest-Camcorder-In-Dash-Car-Camera-Video-Recorder-DVR-Cam-G-sensor-/370806447914?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item5655c95f2a

Jon thats quality, how did you manage to keep it still, especially when going round corners?

Rigga check this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-Smallest-Camcorder-In-Dash-Car-Camera-Video-Recorder-DVR-Cam-G-sensor-/370806447914?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item5655c95f2a

Well basically, I set the tripod up in the back and stringed it in place to the headrests so it wouldn't fly all over the place! mounted the camera and bobs your uncle :P

Yea seen that camera, it is nice and small but needs hard wiring in to the car and id prefer to run one off the cigar lighter socket, plus a screen would be preferable although I think its a bit of a no no to have it showing when driving from what I gather, been looking at ones with a add on rear camera which would he useful when reversing and using the screen.

• Like 1

ive got 1 of these,

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-Car-DVR-IN-Dash-Camera-Video-Recorder-Dashcam-Camcorder-G-Sensor-ET80-/271177194944?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3f236b9dc0

works lovely,was told these 1s are 1 of the best,do a search on eBay as they are cheaper depending on who selling them.