Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changing Wheels From 17" To 15"

eeny

I've had my "62" reg CT200 SE-L for 7 weeks and find the ride quite harsh and would like to change the 17" 45 profile wheels/tyres for 15" 65 profile wheels/tyres - has anyone tried this yet? This solution would also reduce kerb damage. Apart from that, I really enjoy driving the car.

I have been driving our car on the 16" options which were available when we bought it. Neither my wife or I have ever had any issues with an uncomfortable ride quality and neither of us has sustained any wheel damage in 25,000 miles. Our tyres are also 205 wide and I suspect that the narrower profile provides a little more grip when the road surface isn't dry. I had heard that a lot of rally drivers use quite narrow tyres on wet or slippery surfaces for a similar reason . I would conclude that the 15" option would provide a much softer ride and slightly less responsive feel to the steering whilst the higher profile will also reduce risk of kerb damage to both tyre and rim as you suggest.

As an ex Volvo 740 ( ugly from the outside but very smooth and comfortable from the inside) driver, my personal preference is to drive a car to suit myself and I am simply not worried how it looks from the outside looking in.(if the onlookers don't like the look of the higher profile tyres perhaps they might like to contribute to the cost of the low profile items? ha ha). I rarely admire my car from the outside at the sort of distance that low profile tyres look aesthetically good.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

I have a feeling that 15" rims would not fit due to the size brake calipers, this may also apply to some 16" rims so chose carefully.

CT200h OEM 16" rims obviously will fit but beware if aftermarket are being considered.

Also consider changing wheel and tyre combinations can affect the speedometer accuracy so calculate any differences ( tables on the web)) and make allowances as required.

The stock 15s will be fine as they are standard fitment to the current CT200 s and I believe the wheels, hubs, brakes (as well as virtually everything else) are the same as the Toyota Auris which also has 15" as standard. However non Lexus/Toyota rims may not fit correctly as Steve has pointed out.

Added benefit to the smaller (lighter) and narrower 15s is an improvement in economy and a reduction in emissions.

Many thanks to you all so far for your advice and information. I'm still waiting for Lexus to tell me whether or not the remaining warranty would be affected in any way, obviously non-Lexus wheels would not be covered. I notice that the new S uses 195x65x15 tyres/wheels, I was going to use 205x65x15 but would it be better to use the narrower tyres given, as pointed out, that they are lighter etc? I have an Audi A4 with 195x65x15 tyres and the road holding etc on that is quite satisfactory. With reference to any effect on speedo readings, as these different sizes of wheels/tyres are available as an option, I assumed they cancel each other out ie reduced wheel diameter compensated by increased tyre diameter and vice versa, though from some earlier comments on the forum there could be a difference of up to 2mph. The big downside for changing is cost - Lexus quoted me £1,500 for a set of wheels with tyres whereas Wheelbasealloys quote £634 for an equivelant set.

All that money to downsize the wheels. It seems that most people spend their money getting bigger rims!

Why not just spend the money on a really good cushion?

Seth

Inside the car the bumps themselves aren't too bad, more annoying, but I am concerned about the long term effect of the frequent jarring on loosening "things", under the dash etc, (I like to keep my cars for around 8-10 years) and the increased vulnerability of these low profile wheel/tyre combinations to wheel damage from kerbing. The large number of alloy wheel rapairers on the internet is testament to this.

Why not just accept the wheels are going to get damaged and replace them later if they do get damaged.

Are you sure keeping a CT for 8-10 years is a good option, they have lots of gadgets / electrical components etc that will breakdown over time. Not sure I'd want one after the warranty has expired.

Sethyhead has a point!

Maybe there is a CT200h owner out there who might be interested in swapping his smaller wheels with your larger ones.

Just a thought.

Many thanks for your contributions above, been away in France hence delay in replying. The roads there are definitely in a better state of repair as we experienced very few harsh bumps unlike here in Hants/Dorset.

Ian103 I take your point about the complexity of the car and keeping it beyond its warranty, perhaps I'm being somewhat naive in assuming that Lexus build quality and quality control will give me a longer life than that but I believe the Prius has seen some long life and high mileages.

The suggestion I should look for someone wanting to do the opposite and change small wheels for larger wheels has occurred to me, but no joy on eBay, what other forums can anyone suggest?

• 4 months later...

I went through last winter with 16" 205/55 s "summer" tyres no trouble at all. I was thinking about getting a set of steel wheels and winter tyres until I realised the cost would be high and the payback on resale almost zero, offset that with the fact that most of the damage ever caused to any of our cars has been the fault of others running into them, and I decided that it would be more economical to see if iphones bounce. :)

hi thanks Wass, have now ordered a set of 16ins alloys with 205/55/16 winter tyres to replace the l7s

I have just re-fitted my 16" winter alloys and Michelin Primacy tyres. Used them for the first time last winter and cannot stress too much what a difference they made! You will notice too. My first winter with the standard 17" wheels were a worrying time when the snow arrived. Also, less risk of kerb damage.

Gerry

• 3 weeks later...

hi all have now had my 16 ins alloy wheel and winter tyres fitted took off the 17ins that came with the lexus ct200 for the winter, what i can say is that if it never snows it is the best thing i have done since buying the lexus it drives like a different car, i know a lot out there will be saying what's the point of taking off 17 ins and putting 16 ins on but for those of you that have 17ins on and find the ride harsh and a lot of road noise like me all i can say is change you wont regret it come summer the best green 16ins tyres will be going on and the 17s will go back on when the contract ends

When I bought our CT, it was fitted with 16s and the dealer offered to swap for a full set of 17s. I declined. The only advantages I could see with the 17s were appearance whilst standing outside the car and a barely perceptible improvement in handling in extreme and rare circumstances. The advantages of the 16s are better ride quality, less road noise, less kerb damage and cheaper tyres. That is just my view and my preference. Many people do actually prefer the larger wheels for reasons which they find to hold importance for them.

I've been interested in hearing of others' experiences re 16in wheels and still want to change. However, I'm waiting till I've had a little more wear from my 17in tyres. It appears that 16in wheels are preferred to 15in ones so I wonder, challenger179, if you could tell me which make of 16in wheel you've used and which width 16in tyre you've fitted?

Many thanks.

if the 15" wheels fit use this calculator you can check the circumference of the 15" tyre against the 17" tyre you realy need the dimensions to be identical to keep the speedo working right, remember it is illegal to have a speedomter that reads under i.e. at 70mph it reads 65mph but it is ok the other way

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

You may want to have a quick read of these (I think there are other similar entries in the RX forum)

There is some interesting info about wheel vs tyre diameter.
Also, you may want to consider the possible impact to your insurance cover before swapping your wheels, as it appears that insurers have different views on this. In some cases a swap may invalidate your insurance.

Also, you may want to consider the possible impact to your insurance cover before swapping your wheels, as it appears that insurers have different views on this. In some cases a swap may invalidate your insurance.

Each time I swap my wheels for the winter in October (then again in March) I phone the insurers to let them know. It does not affect my premium nor do they make a charge but they told me they do need to know when making any changes to the vehicle.

Good to know, but unfortunately, it seems that not all insurers have the same policy on this, depending on:

- change of wheel size

- change of tyre size

- winter/summer tyres

- whether the wheels are supplied by the manufacturer (and therefore tested by them) as opposed to after market rims

- or even whether the wheels are from the same car but from a different model (CT200h S vs CT200h Premium for instance)

- or simply whether the swap is approved by the manufacturer

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well I've bitten the proverbial bullet and ordered a set of 16" wheels and a set of Dunlop Blu-sport tyres.... As with my luck they are out of stock, but should be in from Germany early January.... these are from Alloy Wheelbase in Manchester( I think).

I did contact my insurers to ensure no problems and the very nice Bulldog said "Oh Yus, that's ok"(Churchill impersonation!)

Also contacted Lexus Tunbridge Wells where I got the car from to confirm the warranty is still ok...

Happy New Year and safe motoring

Derek

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links