Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problem With Paint Colour

Pewe

I have a MK1 GS300 on which someone kindly dropped some timber and dented a door pane badly - then drove off.

The paint shop got some paint from the local Paint Factors, and cannot get it to match.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that they know that is extremely familiar with using Lexus paint colours, somewhere that he can call to discuss the problem and maybe get some answers.

Here is the problem:

When I took the car to the paint shop he got a code off it and called the paint factor. (From memory the code was 046).

When he gave them the code they said it was listed as a 'Grey', but the car looks a metallic pearlescent white, so they asked me to call in with the car to check against their sample swatches.

When I called in they did not have a swatch with the correct code on the shelf. They searched around and found a different swatch in their 'rubbish' which was from a discontinued paint supplier. Their paint expert said it was a match (although to my eye it looked totally different), so they ordered they supplied the paint using the code.

Yesterday I had a call from the paint shop saying the paint was a totally different colour and they were going to have to try to resolve the problem or find an alternative source for the paint on Monday next week.

The attached photo shows the car (pre-damage) and you can see how the colour changes according to the light falling on it. NOTE: The bottom of the doors and the bumpers are actually a different colour which IS Grey.

Any help greatly appreciated.

post-2279-0-06765700-1370085868_thumb.jp

No mine Is dark blue, think it's 'midnight indigo 8j5 mica'.

You should have a local paint supplier who supplies the trade who will get it right.

Unfortunately it's the local paint supplier that cannot get it right despite having had the car to check their swatches against.

Hence the problem.

It appears that the colour 046 was changed twice (without changing the code) between being introduced in '93 and discontinued in '96.

I have heard that the original colour had a creamy tinge, then changed to white, finally having a pinky tinge to it. It appears that the colour the paint supplier mixed is the white colour, and mine has a slight pinky tinge to it - but they have no record of that.

I was hoping someone here may have had contact with a company who had a lot of experience supplying paint for Lexus who may be able to advise on the formulas.