Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As the title suggests, I'm wondering how the SC430 compares to the older LS400s? Anyone owned both? I'm thinking about trying to pick up an 02/03 model to go with my LS400 (not replace it) :).

I'm moving to Eastbourne soon, and must admit to fancying a grown up convertible like a SC430 as a summer runaround, so will follow this thread with interest.

I've read some variable press reviews, but then some of my favourite cars, like Toyota Crowns and Datsun Laurels had a dreadful press, so would value actual real world owners opinions much more.

I mean, who in their right mind would listen to a tool like Clarkson, for example?

• Like 2

Looked at buying one some years ago but after doing the research decided not to.

Main problem for me was the ride The car was set up for the smooth open highways of the US and to that end useless for our potholed infested excuse for highways.

The driving part when on the Motorway was OK but with the lid down a bit noisy and with only three sunny days a year in Scotland and it can do both Rain and sunshine at the same time the roof would not have been dropped a lot.

They are impratical as a runaround due to the limited bootspace and hopeless rear seat leg room.

The looks are a bit ifeminite and it does not have the stand on your back legs and snarl we associate with well bred open tourers.

As Colin says the engineering as Lexus credentials but that is about the only plus point.

Looked at buying one some years ago but after doing the research decided not to.

Main problem for me was the ride The car was set up for the smooth open highways of the US and to that end useless for our potholed infested excuse for highways.

The driving part when on the Motorway was OK but with the lid down a bit noisy and with only three sunny days a year in Scotland and it can do both Rain and sunshine at the same time the roof would not have been dropped a lot.

They are impratical as a runaround due to the limited bootspace and hopeless rear seat leg room.

The looks are a bit ifeminite and it does not have the stand on your back legs and snarl we associate with well bred open tourers.

As Colin says the engineering as Lexus credentials but that is about the only plus point.

I must admit the looks realy put me off, very japanese looking in design rather than catering for your average eueophile. Interior Mlooks nice. If I ever wanted a drophead, as they say in the United States of a Miracle I would go for an Aston Martin look a like that is one of the Jaguars. Mike.

I think they are quite distinctive although in my opinion a real acquired taste - the design does not really appeal to me although I do like many cars that would be considered a 'leftfield' choice for example the aforementioned Datsun Laurel, Nissan 300c, Subaru SVX, Fiat 130 coupe....the list is endless and I even love a Unimog!

How about a Honda S2000? - my friend owns one and I have driven it and have to say it is very good with that high revving V-Tec engine and they are easy on the eye too.

I think they are quite distinctive although in my opinion a real acquired taste - the design does not really appeal to me although I do like many cars that would be considered a 'leftfield' choice for example the aforementioned Datsun Laurel, Nissan 300c, Subaru SVX, Fiat 130 coupe....the list is endless and I even love a Unimog!

How about a Honda S2000? - my friend owns one and I have driven it and have to say it is very good with that high revving V-Tec engine and they are easy on the eye too.

Great looking car. Mike

I love the look of it, especially in dark blue with cream leather but a 4.3ltr V8 summer occasional car? Bit too much in my eyes. Get yourself a MkI MX5 - top notch classic fun and pennies cheap!

Interesting some of he comments, rear leg room well it's not really supposed to have anyone in the back it's called a 2+2 as that lowers the insurance rating.

My wife uses as a daily runaround and says the boot is bigger and easier then her A class she had before. Her mums mobility walker fits in the boot far easier than in my GS.

I think it's a great car and it still turns heads as many people have never seen one. Living down in Sunny Bournemouth we get plenty of opportunity to get the roof down.

JPJSavage, you are more than welcome to come south and take it for a spin

Thanks. I really want an automatic transmission so that my wife can drive it too. So, unfortunately, that rules out the S2000 option (but Honda is my second favourite brand after Lexus). We had an MX5 in the past and that was great. We also had a 911 996 and a Elise R type. But the car I really liked was a Boxster S so I'm wondering if the SC430 doesn't turn up trumps and older Boxster might be the way to go?

As with most things its all down to individual taste. For me its a great looking car. Down here in Sussex we see all sorts of "flash" cars but the SC430 is much rarer so it really stands out. Not that that's a reason to buy one but its nice to have something different. That's why I like having the LS400, it's just a bit different and I only see 2 or 3 others here.

Phil

Yeh saw the IS250 C up close and it looked quiet nice but more feminine than maculine car. maybe Lexus should have offered ones with F-SPORT body kit for the men. it looks too feminine in my eyes which makes me think its more a womans car so if your misus will be the primary driver then IS250C is worth considering.

Lexus/Toyota should have built the SC430's from the Soarer platfrom and improved it a little bit maybe have two models a hard top and a convertible model. I always thought the older MK1 SC's looked better with the long wheel base than the short wheel base MK2's

post-39192-0-83287800-1370474569_thumb.j

Full four seat convertible - how about this? I think they are very attractive with top up or down and have already achieved 'classic' status with prices moving up quickly, some of the best examples fetch £25k. They are highly sought after and were built in the days at Mercedes when quality was put above everything else. If you want power, then go for the 320 CE. As with most Mercs, they are automatic and so your wife can drive it too :outforcount:

post-46156-0-08537200-1370533215_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks. I really want an automatic transmission so that my wife can drive it too. So, unfortunately, that rules out the S2000 option (but Honda is my second favourite brand after Lexus). We had an MX5 in the past and that was great. We also had a 911 996 and a Elise R type. But the car I really liked was a Boxster S so I'm wondering if the SC430 doesn't turn up trumps and older Boxster might be the way to go?

Blimey, how much money have you got?

All sub 20k cars and only one at a time! I'm keeping car expenditure lower now, given kids are beginning to leave for university etc. I do love a good sports car though :)

As the title suggests, I'm wondering how the SC430 compares to the older LS400s? Anyone owned both? I'm thinking about trying to pick up an 02/03 model to go with my LS400 (not replace it) :).

As you own an LS400 you should try to source a proper SC430.

Forget how they compare - they don't - perhaps that's the beauty of these machine's.

For me I'm coming from a different angle - I have an SC430 but want an LS400 as an alternative vehicle.

Perhaps we should swap for a while?

Personally I would love to drive an LS400.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links