Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Brake Caliper Rebuild/reseal. Shakes/rattles And Rolls.

zenzen

IS200/2003/SE - 76000miles. Standard everything.

Front calipers are responsible for a host of unpleasant sounds usually at parking speed, can have feel of warped or uneven braking.

Now had the calipers off and serviced twice. Last set of pads went in we noticed the carrier was stiff and the pads worn unevenly. New pads and discs around 65000k.

Decided to give the calipers some love.

Bought a seal kit from bigred via eBay. Can confirm has everything needed and appears quality stuff. Did the work under the supervision of qualified engineer. Heres how it went.

Took out the pads, health set but worn unevenly.

Took off the caliper. With the caliper on the bench easy to test and see the carrier on both calipers were partially seized. Same slider on both sides. Seals in good condition. The bolts the carrier slide on are the offending items. One of the rubber boots gets stuck, allowing the surface of one slider to be corrupted and start to jam.

Buffed the bolts and cleaned everything, new seals, reassembled. Glad I watched someone else do the piston seals first as it a precision job. Back on car and also treated it to some new brake fluid... and bleed,,, and bleed.. and and and.... lots of unplesantness gone.

Conclusion -

The caliper seals are probably not the problem. Given the kit was £34.00 and I had the luxury of wiser hands than mine to help was cheap for me to do. Would guess most only need to pull to carrier off and polish up the carrier bolts to sort the problem. Pay attention to which bolt is top and bottom, one has a rubber seal at the end. Either each year and or each time pads/discs are replaced, polish the bolts and check the slider action.

Do have some pics if that would help.

Ive currently got a clunking coming from one of my calipers at low parking speeds when wheel is turned. is this what you had?

my brake performance is good, pads are new and calipers are not seized. one has recently been replaced and cleaned and other old caliper also cleaned and working well as far as i know

Sounds familiar. The caliper clanks as it releases. It costs virtually nothing to clean up the carrier sliders. I thought I was due some wallet pain for news bushes ect. Only when understood what the carrier was doing twigged where all the noises came from.

its common for the slide pins to knock and make noise.

make sure there always greased up using Toyota approved grease otherwise it dries up and seizes!

also the rubbers tend to split or perish causing to leak grease.

well I wouldn't say the factory grease is up to much, or they don't put enough in, because every Toyota/Lexus suffers from this, water gets in and the sliding pin corrodes.

You need something that doesn't get thin and run out when hot, offers lubrication (i.e. not copper slip), and doesn't harm the rubber boots. Red rubber grease is a good choice for both this application and around the piston.

• 4 weeks later...

well I wouldn't say the factory grease is up to much, or they don't put enough in, because every Toyota/Lexus suffers from this, water gets in and the sliding pin corrodes.

You need something that doesn't get thin and run out when hot, offers lubrication (i.e. not copper slip), and doesn't harm the rubber boots. Red rubber grease is a good choice for both this application and around the piston.

Would silicon grease suffice?

Hi ,with regard to the grease ,toyota do have a recommended grease but I have never been able to track it down .The grease I have used sucessfully over the years for this job is a tube of Loctite Superlube .It is a clear synthetic grease with PTFE .it says on the tube that the melting point is 232 deg C ,and I have not had any problems with it drying or washing out . I got mine from R S components a couple of years ago but I am sure it is also available elswhere . Don't forget to still use a small amount of copper gease on the rear of the pads and the edges of the pad backing plate where it slides in the carrier to prevent siezure when the winter salt comes .