Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all - to introduce myself as a new member having just ordered the new (third generation) IS300h.

I've been with Volvo all my life thus far, so it's quite a change - but the tax benefits and Lexus' reputation for service was hard to resist!

Hi all - to introduce myself as a new member having just ordered the new (third generation) IS300h.

I've been with Volvo all my life thus far, so it's quite a change - but the tax benefits and Lexus' reputation for service was hard to resist!

Hi Ian and welcome

I too placed an order for the 300h F Sport 3 weeks back and delivery is expected mid July - any ideas on your own lead time?

I'm more than a little worried because I haven't had a test drive but I'm sure all will be ok, the only negative things I've read in reviews are regarding the cvt box being noisy under acceleration but I can live with that.

Colin,

Thanks!

David,

Well, my rules on buying a car were always: a) never in the first year of the model; b) pre-reg, not brand new; c) never before a test drive. So I guess I've totally savaged all of those this time!

I did a lot of research, particularly on what I reckoned a real on-the-road price would be, and initially looked at the 250 exactly because of the concerns with the 300h you raise. But in the end the tax benefits, I decided, make it well worth the risk!

I placed the order (for a Lux [navigation]) in late May and expected delivery is late July. Interestingly, had I chosen a lighter interior, they reckon they could have got one for the launch date - which interior did you go for?

I was ready to give the IS300h a chance but not after I read this, i'm sure it will never satisfy any vaguely enthusiastic driver.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/lexus-is300h-first-drive-2013-5-21

So the IS300h has a 2.5-litre four-cylinder engine and hybrid drive. Together they make up to 220bhp. Good on paper; more power than the rival 2.0 diesels anyway. But the Lexus/Toyota hybrid system depends for its efficiency on the engine revving up and down in a way that's almost entirely unrelated to road speed. On a twisty road you lose all sense of your speed on the way into a corner. Then as you accelerate away again, its answer to the accelerator is squidgy and unsatisfying. Not sporty, then.

But the engineers have come up with an answer. A little switch buried under the steering column activates a loudspeaker that emits a synthesised 'engine' noise, which rises proportionally with road speed. It even has six frequency steps controlled by steering wheel paddles. To stress: it has nothing whatever to do with the true rpm, it's entirely synthetic.

But it does offer you an auditory clue of speed. You can play games: do an upshift and hear the synthesised sound lower its pitch, while the real rpm, as evidenced by the tacho, keeps rising. It's bizarre and it's a gimmick but sometimes it helps you engage more with the car. Pity they didn't sample the LFA's V10 howl...

But the need for such jiggery-pokery only emphasises the fundamental incompatibility of the Lexus CVT hybrid system with sporty driving (geared hybrids like the Porsche 918 and BMW i8 are, of course, a different and much sharper kettle of piranhas).

No, the Lexus hybrid system is best for greasing silently through town, or gentle suburban driving, when the petrol engine is far quieter than a diesel and anyway is often switched off while the e-motor does the work

Well, firstly I'll just have to see how that goes. Reviewers can be spot on, and Top Gear more than most, but far from always.

It would be a great pity of course, but then I'm not sure you buy a hybrid for the maximum sporty value. If I were that concerned about that, I'd have stuck to the 250. Or a 3-series.

I do wonder why Lexus has tried to promote the new IS on BMW's terms rather than its own. Personally, I'm looking for comfort and refinement as priority.

Fair enough if that's what you want.....but have you ever driven a Prius/Auris hybrid or Ct200h? its a very different driving experience, to a conventional auto. Go try one if you haven't. the gear box isn't noisy, its the high revving and unrefined din of the four cylinder which is the issue. maybe be the new engine will be better, but the fundamental operation apparently remains the same.

They are promoting it a sporty saloon because they recognise that's what a vast part of the market wants. Pity the product appears not to deliver it. Sadly it appears if you're an enthusiastic driver but you need to consider economy a German diesel is still the way to go.

Hey I'm going to give one a test drive when they arrive, because as you say reviewers can and do get it wrong, but its not looking good.

Colin,

Thanks!

David,

Well, my rules on buying a car were always: a) never in the first year of the model; B) pre-reg, not brand new; c) never before a test drive. So I guess I've totally savaged all of those this time!

I did a lot of research, particularly on what I reckoned a real on-the-road price would be, and initially looked at the 250 exactly because of the concerns with the 300h you raise. But in the end the tax benefits, I decided, make it well worth the risk!

I placed the order (for a Lux [navigation]) in late May and expected delivery is late July. Interestingly, had I chosen a lighter interior, they reckon they could have got one for the launch date - which interior did you go for?

. . . with ordering the F Sport there was only one colour choice, black. If I did have the option I would much prefer to have a lighter interior - but I suppose we all have to compromise somewhere along the line. The only other gripe that I may have is the fact that there are no exhaust tips - I think the rear will take as much getting used to as the front.

I had the IS200 and IS250 both brand new at launch and had no problems whatsoever and I'm sure that the third generation will be just as reliable and customer service in my experience is first class.

I'm sure you can look forward to your new motor with confidence

Fair enough if that's what you want.....but have you ever driven a Prius/Auris hybrid or Ct200h? its a very different driving experience, to a conventional auto. Go try one if you haven't. the gear box isn't noisy, its the high revving and unrefined din of the four cylinder which is the issue. maybe be the new engine will be better, but the fundamental operation apparently remains the same.

They are promoting it a sporty saloon because they recognise that's what a vast part of the market wants. Pity the product appears not to deliver it. Sadly it appears if you're an enthusiastic driver but you need to consider economy a German diesel is still the way to go.

Hey I'm going to give one a test drive when they arrive, because as you say reviewers can and do get it wrong, but its not looking good.

This issue only arrives when giving the car maximum acceleration - other than that is is supposedly as refined as a Lexus should be. I don't think many of us will be heading too far up the rev range often enough to let it be a bother to us. After all, my boy racer days are well gone!

I have a CT200h today as my IS-F is in for a service, and I agree if you don't ask to much of it, they are relatively quiet and refined.

With regards to the Top Gear article.... I wouldn't take much notice of it! Top Gear love their German Saloons and will always write favourably about BMW, Audi, MB and will always say the Japanese equivalents such as Lexus will never be as good as them. Top Gear have also been guilty of Mickey taking when it comes to Lexus saying things like "you buy Lexus to drive to a golf club or a stonemasons meeting" or "Lexus don't break, but we wish they would" says it all really...

To be frank, the Top Gear article isn't bad. Like I say, if you're determined to be sporty, there's always the 250.

The real nonsense is AutoExpress. It awards the car 4 stars in every category bar one, and then gives it 3 overall. There, the inherent bias to the Germans is really blatant!

With regards to the Top Gear article.... I wouldn't take much notice of it! Top Gear love their German Saloons and will always write favourably about BMW, Audi, MB and will always say the Japanese equivalents such as Lexus will never be as good as them. Top Gear have also been guilty of Mickey taking when it comes to Lexus saying things like "you buy Lexus to drive to a golf club or a stonemasons meeting" or "Lexus don't break, but we wish they would" says it all really...

It was the factual bit of that review that was most disturbing, in relation to the fake engine noise system that is unrelated to the actual engine speed. That's what I was referring too. I still find that shocking TBH in a car like this.

wow those tax benifits certainly are wining you lot over, just as lexus planned im sure. Ide still go for V6 IS250 for me if i had that kind of money of course! :whistling:

All the same cant wait to see the owners reviews in July of both. I just hope lexus have kept to their roots more than suggested in reviews

BTW if you want good reviews of the car look for american sites, much more neutral and down to earth. That IS350 is something

Ide still go for V6 IS250 for me if i had that kind of money of course! :whistling:

If money isn't an issue maybe but I feel the IS250 will be a poor investment if the GS250 is anything to go by. It will depreciate in value very fast because the engine hasn't been developed and is just too fuel inefficient. The market will just want the 300h.

It will be interesting to see if the IS goes the same way as the RX in Europe, with sales for the normal engine versions dropping to a point where Lexus stop selling it.

I went into the showroom to investigate a 250 actually. But as soon as I saw the figures, I couldn't justify it.

Even if you drive well below average miles per year, you'll be saving £750+/year fuel (I estimate over £1000 in my case). Then there's £230+/year road tax at least. That's even as a private buyer, before we consider depreciation!

And, whisper it quietly, but the difference between the two in Germany is 2000 only. That is partly because diesel is cheaper than petrol there. But it also proves, you know, that there's room to haggle...

Very good points above, many of which i didnt consider. To me though the 250 is so much faster and more fuel efficient than my IS200 i dont think ide mind the MPG it gives out was where i was coming from

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links