Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Best By Far-From F1 Expert!

On another site, I asked a guy who works on Formula One cars what he thought about the LS engines.

He said....

"The Lexus engines are state of the art smooth and quiet. I have little experience of the ones you mention though, just a few drives of a GS430 which I liked a lot. I actually had a home demo of the GS450h when it came out but it was not really worth the cost for me new. Very fast though.

Back when the Lexus brand was first launched an aquaintance of mine who worked for Jaguar R&D was involved in the stripdown and evaluate they did (all car makers do this to competitors products, as did Garrard and probably everybody else). He told me that it was by far the best made car they had ever evaluated and the attention to detail was second to none.
They were, of course, trying to get the name known and reputation established so whether they have kept this level up who knows.

During the short period that Jackie Stewart was not provided with a car by his personal sponsor and he had to buy one his choice was a Lexus LS for which he was full of praise.

Not a big fan of the external styling personally."

My thoughts exactly! (Inc the 'style' comment!)

• Like 2

On another site, I asked a guy who works on Formula One cars what he thought about the LS engines.

He said....

"The Lexus engines are state of the art smooth and quiet. I have little experience of the ones you mention though, just a few drives of a GS430 which I liked a lot. I actually had a home demo of the GS450h when it came out but it was not really worth the cost for me new. Very fast though.

Back when the Lexus brand was first launched an aquaintance of mine who worked for Jaguar R&D was involved in the stripdown and evaluate they did (all car makers do this to competitors products, as did Garrard and probably everybody else). He told me that it was by far the best made car they had ever evaluated and the attention to detail was second to none.

They were, of course, trying to get the name known and reputation established so whether they have kept this level up who knows.

During the short period that Jackie Stewart was not provided with a car by his personal sponsor and he had to buy one his choice was a Lexus LS for which he was full of praise.

LS external styling has never been great - the 460 is better but not the front of the new one. I always think that when I am sitting inside driving one of the best cars made I cannot see the outside so who cares.

A Ferrari or Lambo may look great but would you want to drive 400 miles in one on our roads?

Bren

• Like 1

He said....

LS external styling has never been great - the 460 is better but not the front of the new one. I always think that when I am sitting inside driving one of the best cars made I cannot see the outside so who cares.

A Ferrari or Lambo may look great but would you want to drive 400 miles in one on our roads?

Bren

Isnt it strange that when a car is being demonstarted on TV etc you get very lottle on what the inside is like which where you will spend most time. I saw an Ad for a new BMW today and that show you nothing of the interior.

As for what a car looks like I have always been a Bonnet Cabin and a Boot man never liked the look of the chopped off boot look to make a saloon car into a hatch back. Mike

I disagree about the appearance of the LS400 I think it's great as does SWMBO and to her most cars are just cars. It has a certain elegance and is a wolf in sheeps clothing when it comes to performance

• Like 1

Totally agree with you Lexmanic ............. I so thought the Mk1 was / is a fabulous looking car ............... streets ahead of the competition at the time ....... and still is in my book :hehe:

Malc

• Like 1

Totally agree with you Lexmanic ............. I so thought the Mk1 was / is a fabulous looking car ............... streets ahead of the competition at the time ....... and still is in my book :hehe:

Malc

Interesting - when I used to tell my German pals I had a Leuxs they said AH a Mercedes clone. You check them out especially from the back :) The comparisons all stop when you consider the engineering, manufacturing quality, luxuary and ride. People who fix cars regularly tell me that if I had an equivalent BM'er or Merc it would have had two engines, a new gear box and back axel by now.

I don't believe any of us buy the LS for its looks.

Bren

I have always liked the look of the LS400 much more than the 430, but as has been said, the driver can't see the outside of the car so it doesn't matter too much. As regards calling a Lexus a "Mercedes clone, well the Lexus would have to break down much more often to come close. Have a look at the MB Club website. The range of faults those cars come up with beggars belief!

Paul

• Like 1

I've never, ever understood the general hullabaloo, slavish respect,/reverence, given to all things BMW/Merc/Audi here in the UK, I had a 7-series back in the early eighties, it was a toss-up between that, or an S-type Jag, -wish I'd gone for the Jag, I got the BMW at 11,000 miles, what a heap 'o trouble that turned-out to be, but I won't go down that road

I've never, ever understood the general hullabaloo, slavish respect,/reverence, given to all things BMW/Merc/Audi here in the UK, I had a 7-series back in the early eighties, it was a toss-up between that, or an S-type Jag, -wish I'd gone for the Jag, I got the BMW at 11,000 miles, what a heap 'o trouble that turned-out to be, but I won't go down that road

Clever marketing and the general sheep like behaviour that seemingly sensible people exhibit - i.e. it is more important to keep up with the neighbours than do something different and sensible. So they by Mercs, BM'ers and Audis,

Bren

I personally think the Mk2 LS400 is one tough looking car. B)

Also, I think I'm one of the few who really likes the latest redesign of the LS460 :ph34r:

Its the front of all the new Lexus,s that I cant get on with I know they are being cleaver putting the two L,s together with one of them being inverted but it just dosent work for me. Mike

the original ls 400 was streets ahead of the opposition mercs included,when it came out,the merc was quite a squarish design quite spartan inside,strangely enough the new one of 1992 i think it was,look a lot more lexus and had more creature comforts,most of which you had to pay extra for,the lexus looks the way it does because its very efficent cd wise,its what makes it quiet,the others had to really up there game to keep up.lexus have gone back recently their new cars whilst good not game changers anymore,resting on their laurels,same horrible aggressive noses as all the competition.iagree with you bren about the badge snobbery. i think some people would buy a dog t--d if it had bmw or audi badge on it

the original ls 400 was streets ahead of the opposition mercs included,when it came out,the merc was quite a squarish design quite spartan inside,strangely enough the new one of 1992 i think it was,look a lot more lexus and had more creature comforts,most of which you had to pay extra for,the lexus looks the way it does because its very efficent cd wise,its what makes it quiet,the others had to really up there game to keep up.lexus have gone back recently their new cars whilst good not game changers anymore,resting on their laurels,same horrible aggressive noses as all the competition.iagree with you bren about the badge snobbery. i think some people would buy a dog t--d if it had bmw or audi badge on it

I have two dogs I must buy some badges. Mike

Clever marketing and the general sheep like behaviour that seemingly sensible people exhibit - i.e. it is more important to keep up with the neighbours than do something different and sensible. So they by Mercs, BM'ers and Audis,

Bren

Long may it continue.

Because of this badge snobbery, I have been able to buy some wonderful big Jap saloons, at knockdown prices over the last thirty odd years......... none of which have needed major repairs,

The LS has been the best of the bunch of course.

• Like 1

I must have seen dozens of BMW's, Audi's, Mercs, driving around MK today-most of them black, most of them big models, most of them late models, and they all look like clones of each other, nearly all of them being driven by speedy nutters, -see this each, and every day round here, yet I see one black 430, -occasionally, driven by a very sedate driver.very seldom see any LS400's.

i have had two bmw 530d as company cars,and i have to say they were both superb cars,the 2002 last of the e93 shape the nicest.the 2005 looked odd,lot more firmer suspension,very econonical,very fast .done over 120,000 in both .now im retired don't want to spend that sort of money on a car,so a ls400 is good value for me,don't cost much to buy,or run really,a reasonable amount of cash to keep nice,and a lovely car to drive,my missus has 2yr old fiesta alright little car,but awful getting in to after mine

these bm's and mercs are now serious money to buy new,some of the long term tests i read in mags the options on some cost more than my 2 cars,i enjoy my car every time i go out in it,

i have had two bmw 530d as company cars,and i have to say they were both superb cars,the 2002 last of the e93 shape the nicest.the 2005 looked odd,lot more firmer suspension,very econonical,very fast .done over 120,000 in both .now im retired don't want to spend that sort of money on a car,so a ls400 is good value for me,don't cost much to buy,or run really,a reasonable amount of cash to keep nice,and a lovely car to drive,my missus has 2yr old fiesta alright little car,but awful getting in to after mine

these bm's and mercs are now serious money to buy new,some of the long term tests i read in mags the options on some cost more than my 2 cars,i enjoy my car every time i go out in it,

You're not wrong about the costs........here are some figures from What car, relating to a BMW 3 series that they've had for 20,000 miles and 12 months.

BMW 320d Sport logbook

Buying information

Price when new £29,410

Target Price £27,308

Price now (new) £29,410

Extras Metallic paint £610, 18-inch alloys £540, M Sport suspension £750, Servotronic steering £180, Aluminium trim £155, Sun glass £235, Folding mirrors £275, Seat heaters £300, Head-up display £800, Internet £95, DAB radio £325, Parking pack £875, Comfort pack £450, Media pack £1995, Visibility pack £925

Total price new £40,515

Current part-ex value £22,150

Running costs

Overall test fuel economy 49.8mpg

Worst fuel economy 43.8mpg

Best fuel economy 57.6mpg

True MPG 56.1mpg

Official fuel economy 62.8mpg

CO2/tax liability 118g/km/17%

Contract hire £287

Cost per mile 56.9p

Insurance group/quote 31/£835

Servicing and repairs

Servicing 18,000 miles, £254

Repairs New front tyre £195

Eye watering figures aren't they?

£11,000 on extras, over £18,000 depreciation.

And they're chirping about doing just under 50mpg!!!

I can buy an awful lot of fuel for the £350 a week going down their drain in JUST depreciation.

Needless to say, they give the usual rave review..........easy enough when you're not picking up the tab.

• Like 1

I have owned my 57 plate ls 460 for 9 months and will never sell it,on a direct comparison to mercs, bmw's and jag's there isn't one. I know a lot of people on here love the 400 and 430 (which I have never driven or been in)so we love the same car but different styles.I have owned and driven BM's and mercs and they are extremely overrated,I also like the exclusivity of my Lexus in 9 months I haven't seen another one.

Just seen the Watchdog programe on BMW and ..................................... Sorry laughing too much, when I think of the stories regarding the Lexus rust warranties that have been invoked and all without any agravation on Lexus,s part.

I cannot believe where BMW put that timing chain, in my book that was proffesional negligence. Mike

I also just watched the last night's WD in the iplayer - I must admit the rest of it is quite good as well as the BM'er story. Chain CAM drives are in many ways better than belts or so we are told - probably because they can take more abuse. Honest John thinks they are great but I'll bet not when they are put at the back of the engine. I suppose you could say if they are designed to last forever then it is OK to put them at the back - so how the heck do you check them if you cannot get to them?

From the video it did not look as if the chains broke rather the tension systems failed - but I am not sure.

I love my belt driven Lexus and it is not that expensive to change the belt every 100K.

Bren

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links