Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Best By Far-From F1 Expert!

I am with you on the tensioner breaking but being the old cynic I am I would bet the chain was put at the back to increase turnover (did you see that? turnover) in their workshops and grauntee nice big invoices being sent out when a car has gone out of warranty. Mike

thing is it shouldn't matter if a car has chain driven cams as it has the advantage not needing service(changing) compared to belt driven cam engine. and pretty much all modern cars are chain driven cams now. so its either a chain design fault from BMW or the service interval they have stated for oils changes is too long and causes the chain to malfunction due to the oil being dirty. all chain driven cars need clean oil to function properly (well that's what I was told by a ford mechanic who worked on my chain driven V6 Cougar) and I know most modern diesel cars don't need oil changes for at least 18 - 20k miles interval and my gut feeling will be the oil gets too dirty and causes the chains to malfunction. anyway I don't own a BM so that's one problem I don't have to deal with.

I'm pretty sure my E30, E36, E38 and E39 I once owned all (not all together) all had duplex chains not like the one in the video. A cheap improvement?!! Mine were all excellent, smooth and quiet 6 cylinder auto's. Last time I looked under the bonnet of a recentish BM, the engine is half way under the scuttle. Remember their Nicosil problems in the 90's. So much for the Badge.

Totally agree with you Lexmanic ............. I so thought the Mk1 was / is a fabulous looking car ............... streets ahead of the competition at the time ....... and still is in my book :hehe:

Malc

Interesting - when I used to tell my German pals I had a Leuxs they said AH a Mercedes clone. You check them out especially from the back :) The comparisons all stop when you consider the engineering, manufacturing quality, luxuary and ride. People who fix cars regularly tell me that if I had an equivalent BM'er or Merc it would have had two engines, a new gear box and back axel by now.

I don't believe any of us buy the LS for its looks.

Yes, my original LS430 in 2006 was always being mistaken for the big Merc S class (I had one for 3 years, and it was fab actually).

The looks of the LS430 have improved with age and it still has great presence on the road.

I still glance at mine as I walk away and think, you're wonderful and I love it every time I get in go for a drive.

Its a car with personality and a soul.

Now I have connected my Iphone, the sound system is so amazing I hear instruments and sounds in my favourite tunes I never heard before!

Nige

Bren

Totally agree with you Lexmanic ............. I so thought the Mk1 was / is a fabulous looking car ............... streets ahead of the competition at the time ....... and still is in my book :hehe:

Malc

Interesting - when I used to tell my German pals I had a Leuxs they said AH a Mercedes clone. You check them out especially from the back :) The comparisons all stop when you consider the engineering, manufacturing quality, luxuary and ride. People who fix cars regularly tell me that if I had an equivalent BM'er or Merc it would have had two engines, a new gear box and back axel by now.

Bren

I love the BMW claim that they will only consider claims if the car has been regularly serviced by them. Absolute nonsense being serviced by anyone makes no difference whatsoever as its NOT a service item. So I suggest that argument of theirs is without merit & would fail in court, they'd still be held liable

• Like 1

The LS may not be the most prettiest vehicle around, but for me it is the vehicle I would love to own and drive!

Although I own a few vehicles, including the gorgeous SC430, their are a few more vehicles I desire to drive more!

Malc

Yes, my original LS430 in 2006 was always being mistaken for the big Merc S class (I had one for 3 years, and it was fab actually).

The looks of the LS430 have improved with age and it still has great presence on the road.

I still glance at mine as I walk away and think, you're wonderful and I love it every time I get in go for a drive.

Now I have connected my Iphone, the sound system is so amazing I hear instruments and sounds in my favourite tunes I never heard before!

Nige

Bren

>

Malc

Bren

I do apart from its excellent build I think it looks great AND I have great taste.......ask the wife

I posted my views incorrectly in amongst Bren's comments!

Apologies

Nige

I think a lot of Beemer, Merc and Audi owners have been brainwashed by watching too much Top Gear. Those manufacturers must rub their hands in glee every time that programme comes on. No wonder their sales have gone up. It's due to all the free promotion by Clarkson & co. When will they try something different and BETTER. ( I actually like the new aggressively styled grill on the latest models by the way).).

• Like 1

Why doesn't this club write to Top Gear & ask them to test the Lexus Range After all didn't Jezza state the Sports Car was the best he had ever driven

It would be better to ask some people who actually knew something about cars :whistling:

• Like 1

No matter what your views about TG is has a huge following and it wouldn't do our hobby, namely the Lexus, any harm to appear on it. Also I suspect they know a great deal more about cars than many on this site. You perhaps forget that Jezza & May were car journos for many years before TG AND there's no doubt they are all 3 petrol heads

you are quite right about jc & may,they make an entertainment programme about/with cars their audience are for people who are not just car enthusiasts but to encompass a wilder range of viewers, however much we might enjoy a more car type programme it does'nt bring in large amount of viewers,people apparently don't have the attention span these days for something more serious.to be fair we would all act like them if we had the chance, guys together always seem to act their shoe size instead of age

• Like 1

In the past JC and Co have always disparaged the LS and have favoured the big German 3 - why would they change now?. They would probably start dropping pianos on our favourite cars. Those 3 guys do not work as serious motoring journalists they make entertainment using cars as props. It can be great fun and I usually watch - I never watch 5th Gear (that tries to be more serious) because it is a bit boring.

Ray I think you need to add when blokes have a few beers they love to behave like to Top Gear 3 :whistling:

Bren

Top Gear presenters will always cause controversy to up the viewer numbers even though the BBC should not concern themselves with such matters. When the first of the LS's were born Quentin Willson gave them a rave review and even ran one himself as a private car for many years and may still to this day for all I know.

As for Top Gear I am not a lover of the Fri/Sat night ***** up brigade they think we all belong too but I have to praise them for some items that have appeared on their program, i.e. who cannot feel justice and a feeling of warm security each time you see a bloody great piano flatten a British Leyland Marina, just a shame they couldn't have done this at the prototype stage if ever such a thing was made.

I always record and watch later this allows me to edit all the rubbish. As for the "Star In The Car" section I live in hope to hear one day when JC asks the audience "shall we see how he/she got on" the audience reply "No" cause I don't give a damn how they get on.

End of todays rant and I feel all the better for it. Mike

Top Gear presenters will always cause controversy to up the viewer numbers even though the BBC should not concern themselves with such matters. When the first of the LS's were born Quentin Willson gave them a rave review and even ran one himself as a private car for many years and may still to this day for all I know.

As for Top Gear I am not a lover of the Fri/Sat night ***** up brigade they think we all belong too but I have to praise them for some items that have appeared on their program, i.e. who cannot feel justice and a feeling of warm security each time you see a bloody great piano flatten a British Leyland Marina, just a shame they couldn't have done this at the prototype stage if they ever such a thing was made.

I always record and watch later this allows me to edit all the rubbish. As for the "Star In The Car" section I live in hope to hear one day when JC asks the audience "shall we see how he/she got on" the audience reply "No" cause I don't give a damn how they get on.

Spot on Mike - QW can be described as a proper journalist which is probably why he is no longer a Top Gear presenter.

Bren

• Like 2

As for Top Gear I am not a lover of the Fri/Sat night ***** up brigade they think we all belong too but I have to praise them for some items that have appeared on their program, i.e. who cannot feel justice and a feeling of warm security each time you see a bloody great piano flatten a British Leyland Marina, just a shame they couldn't have done this at the prototype stage if they ever such a thing was made.

Spot on Mike - QW can be described as a proper journalist which is probably why he is no longer a Top Gear presenter.

Bren

Yup he's flogging very expensive warranties now