Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nice Looking 1998 Ls400 On Fleabay.

I went to view this one in Plymouth before I bought mine. He's right when he says its not in perfect condition. In addition to what he states, the interior is quite grubby, there are some terrible (big and black) after-market reading lights fitted front and rear, there is a phone set-up taking up most of the armrest storage and the front indicators are full of condensation. Definitely looking its 15 years. I walked away when it was at £1700 on auto-trader. Still, I bet its valve stem seals are fine, unlike mine :(

Martin, hi, if indeed you have an engine problem like you think you may have ( or indeed any engine problem at all ) then that is wholly exceptional ..... these V8s in the LS400 are more robust than any other car in the world ever ..........

I have followed the thread about your issues and really can't believe it's other than condensation related ( from the exhaust boxes ) and therefore really not a problem, let alone an issue !!

Hope I'm right :whistling:

Malc

sorry if I've posted this in the wrong thread BUT I'm still being IT teccy rejected from the Forum generally ...... . as are a few others .

hi martin i would be amazed also, if you had that prob,these engines seem bulletproof,my last one had nearly 250,000 miles on it with no probs,only the white condensation smoke on colder mornings,does it used any oil,may be burning off residue in exhaust,has it been used on lots short journeys,perhaps cats a bit dirty,its certainly not a known problem

I've owned some oil-smoking cronks in the past so I can spot the difference. If my LS400 was started every day, I would never know it had a problem. Not a trace of blue smoke. But, because it is left 4-5 days between start-ups, it gives the oil time to find its way through the seals and collect in the combustion chamber, showing up as a blue haze on first start-up. Like someone said on here, it's not a major problem, but it is a little dent in my confidence in Lexus and Japanese engineering.

Anyway, thank you for your concern.

I live quite near to Lyme Regis if anyone wants me to have a look. Mind you It'll have to be after this coming Wed as away until then Instead of BMW taking LPG 98 LS to Hungerford for a couple of days :flowers:

I've owned some oil-smoking cronks in the past so I can spot the difference. If my LS400 was started every day, I would never know it had a problem. Not a trace of blue smoke. But, because it is left 4-5 days between start-ups, it gives the oil time to find its way through the seals and collect in the combustion chamber, showing up as a blue haze on first start-up. Like someone said on here, it's not a major problem, but it is a little dent in my confidence in Lexus and Japanese engineering.

If any car has been left standing for a long period of time the valve stem seals go hard. It could also be a rocker cover seal around one of the plugs you have a main seal running around the rocker cover & 4 round spark plug seals ( one of these might be leaking ). How much oil are you using ? ,

If any car has been left standing for a long period of time the valve stem seals go hard. It could also be a rocker cover seal around one of the plugs you have a main seal running around the rocker cover & 4 round spark plug seals ( one of these might be leaking ). How much oil are you using ? ,

This seems to have gone way off topic. Mike