Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Response From Adrian Flux Regarding In-Car (Dash) Cameras

Customer Reference: Removed

Date: 25/05/2013

Dear Mr Stuart Aspey

We acknowledge receipt of your recent correspondence with thanks and would be obliged if you could note our comments below.

Please note, we can confirm that we are currently approving the following in car cameras;

ChilliBongo

Auto Eye UK

MI Witness HD Camera

Black Vue – 380 & 400 G.HD

VCAM

IPIXI

SmartCam2

Exeros HD Car Cameras -l HD 1080P model within built speed camera detection

(Exeros' server is down at the point of compiling this message) - The camera can be viewed at ReAction Cameras. If you search via a search engine or via Exeros HD Camera, you should able to find this other site. I shall not put the link up, so when Exeros' server is working you can access their site.

Roadhawk Forward Facing DC1

10· Novus System – View I Ruby and Silver Systems

11· TTW Black Vue Cameras

11 (TTW Black Vue Cameras)

- There are two links here. TTW are a distributor. The first link is a confirmation certificate that they are licensed to sell Black Vue cameras. as well as other products. This certificate is from the Black Vue site.

- The second link takes you to TTW Partners website. There are a number of other companies that they sell cameras for, But Black Vue is the one approved via Adrian Flux. (You may find some others that have also been approved, but this is not mentioned in my email)

12· Phantom Cameras

Paragraph Removed

If at any point you have any queries in relation to your policy please do not hesitate to email us at contact-us@adrianflux.co.uk.

Your sincerely,

Adele Williamson
http://www.star.net.uk

Notice how it's only the most expensive ones that get approved......The affordable ones on eBay ect are just as capable.

To me what's the point in spending £250 on a camera to make insurance companies job easier, in return for a minimal drop in

insurance cost.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you. The savings in Insurance policy against the cost of the devices will not be a financially viable prospect for at least 5 years. If the insurance providers are prepared to support with the cost of the devices, then maybe.

Yes there are a number of other devices which are much cheaper and just as capable and I'm not sure if there are any instances of the lesser models' footage being dismissed as ineligible in Insurance claims, that stat may be useful.

This thread was for information purposes only and I thought it may be helpful for some.

How are you Ian?

• Like 1

I totally agree with you. The savings in Insurance Policy against the cost of the devices will not be a financially viable prospect for at least 5 years. If the insurance providers are prepared to support with the cost of the devices, then maybe.

Yes there are a number of other devices which are much cheaper and just as capable and I'm not sure if there are any instances of the lesser models' footage being dismissed as ineligible in Insurance claims, that stat may be useful.

This thread was for information purposes only and I thought it may be helpful for some.

How are you Ian?

I'm fine Stuart and yourself?

Wasn't having a go or anything the info was useful as i'm thinking of buying one myself...But i will only be buying the one at £15 off the bay. (Cheapskate).

I'm good too, enjoying the weather and trying to get the baby's room finished.

The technology and integrated GPS in the more expensive devices looks good, but it's all additional information that the Insurance Providers . . . . 'Could possibly'. . . . Use against the driver.

Ive just ordered a £40 cheepy of eBay which includes motion detector, GPS, & will take an instant stills photograph if it detects a collision or your heavy braking. The motion detector does I understand switch it on the moment it detects any movement EVEN before the ignition is switched on. This of course assumes that its internal Battery isn't exhausted

Do you have a link to that one? I've been looking at cycle cameras simply because they take standard batteries and don't need the car socket, but they don't have all the same features, just on off

I'm good too, enjoying the weather and trying to get the baby's room finished.

The technology and integrated GPS in the more expensive devices looks good, but it's all additional information that the Insurance Providers . . . . 'Could possibly'. . . . Use against the driver.

Ah! Babies. We used to have two of them, a boy & a girl they were beautiful but one day they went out and when they came home they were 6' tall and gave us two other tiny babies, grandchildren a boy and a girl and they are both beautiful but this time round we can enjoy them so much more as we don't have to worry about earning a living and keeping a roof over our heads. Enjoy every second as it will amaze you how fast the time will pass. Mike

ive got this 1,but a lot cheaper when i found it on eBay,iirc i paid iro £50

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-Car-DVR-IN-Dash-Camera-Video-Recorder-Dashcam-Camcorder-G-Sensor-ET80-/271177194944?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3f236b9dc0

then i bought a 32 gb memory card from amazon,

www.amazon.co.uk/Sandisk-Ultra-Class-Micro-Adapter/dp/B0084DWCTW/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1359666629&sr=1-3

I have the Black Vue in my RX, mounted behind the rear view mirrow-not particularly visible to the casual observer..

which was great today when some numpty decided to deliberately drive into my lane at a roundabout to cause an accident.

Once I pointed to the camera, smilled and waved to it his demenour instantly changed- now in two minds whether to persue through his insurance co (he's well under 20 years old, so will hurt him) or let him pay for the scrape along my door, wing and bumper..

His whole attitude changed once he realised it was on camera and that it showed him clearly being at fault...

Ooooo. That's a good topic for discussion. Does the other driver appear able to pay for the damage? How approachable is he?

Personally, I'm with you. I'd say, I don't want to ruin your insurance premiums. If you are able to pay for the damage, then we don't need to tell them. If you're not in a position to do this, then I will have to go through my insurance company . . . . .

I disagree ALWAYS go through your insurence particularly as you have the evidence to support your version of events. Reason!? cos most who will agree to your proposal will almost certainly be uninsured AND if you don't claim for some time your insurer will wonder why Also its a term of your insurence that you MUST report ALL incidents which cause damage or injury, fault & non-fault

• Like 1

Notice how it's only the most expensive ones that get approved......The affordable ones on ebay ect are just as capable.

To me what's the point in spending £250 on a camera to make insurance companies job easier, in return for a minimal drop in

insurance cost.

Hi VCAM is £35 on eBay or £50 with solar charger, I bought one 2 weeks ago, bit of a struggle to get the clips over the visor as they are a tight fit. well worth getting especially where I live.

I'm a little confused as to why Adrian Flux, who are merely brokers, would be "currently approving" any cameras! I would have thought that individual insurers or the industry as a whole would need to approve devices.

I think providing you have the info, pictures, movie etc on a medium the insurance company can play the evidence they will accept it especially if it means another insurance company pays out rather than them. I am definitely getting front and rear installed. Mike

I think providing you have the info, pictures, movie etc on a medium the insurance company can play the evidence they will accept it especially if it means another insurance company pays out rather than them. I am definitely getting front and rear installed. Mike

I think it might be better to check with your insurer rather than a broker. I still don't see how the broker can say that "they are currently approving" when it is the insurer and NOT the broker who will ultimately decide whether a device is approved to possibly reduce premiums or make it easier to validate a claim. Brokers are NOT insurers, merely intermediaries.

NB. not knocking the cameras just a broker claiming to be approving them.

I am having them fitted so there can be no question who is to blame for an accident and not for any reduction in premiums.

You would be amazed at the number of people who change their story once they have had a few drinks with their bar room lawyers, this way there can be no arguing. Mike

I am having them fitted so there can be no question who is to blame for an accident and not for any reduction in premiums.

You would be amazed at the number of people who change their story once they have had a few drinks with their bar room lawyers, this way there can be no arguing. Mike

I agree totally with your comments Mike and have toyed with getting Roadhawk myself, but my original reply was to question why a broker would be claiming to approve devices which is totally out of their remit since, as I said before, they are NOT insurers. It is the insurers who decide what they approve or don't approve.

So, to be clear on this, my concern is nothing to do with the various cameras or how they are viewed by insurers, but merely by the claim made by Flux in the letter which the OP published.

I agree totally with your comments Mike and have toyed with getting Roadhawk myself, but my original reply was to question why a broker would be claiming to approve devices which is totally out of their remit since, as I said before, they are NOT insurers. It is the insurers who decide what they approve or don't approve.

So, to be clear on this, my concern is nothing to do with the various cameras or how they are viewed by insurers, but merely by the claim made by Flux in the letter which the OP published.

Sorry I took that as read . Your point was so succinct I didn't think it needed comment. I apologise. Mike

Hi Mike and Dave. Yeah, it does seem a little strange, because even though Adrian Flux are 'currently approving' these cameras, the insurance provider themselves could still turn around and say no.

But I think Adrian Flux are such a well known broker now, that they probably have quite a bit of influence and if they claim to approve a device, then the provider will probably agree. . . . My opinion.