Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

What's people's opinions of the power of their 2.2 diesel? I had my engine replaced about 1,000 miles ago and the car goes like stink at the minute - 3rd gear upwards is awesome when giving it some - I'm sure it would keep up rightly with a 320d, 170 Passat etc..anyone any experiences of how it compares to other cars?

The words performance and IS220d I wouldn't use in the same sentence in a positive fashion anyway. Maybe it is just ours but it's akin to going back into the 80s as far as get up and go goes, absolutely gutless is what I would call it. Terrible lift off, gets a little better over 2k revs but no barnstormer. Any 320d I've driven would murder it with both hands tied behind it's back. I've driven a couple other IS220d and indeed IS250 and none of them are quick, but that's not what they are about either so no really big surprise. I hate driving ours as it nearly always catches me out in traffic at junctions overtaking etc

The words performance and IS220d I wouldn't use in the same sentence in a positive fashion anyway. Maybe it is just ours but it's akin to going back into the 80s as far as get up and go goes, absolutely gutless is what I would call it. Terrible lift off, gets a little better over 2k revs but no barnstormer. Any 320d I've driven would murder it with both hands tied behind it's back. I've driven a couple other IS220d and indeed IS250 and none of them are quick, but that's not what they are about either so no really big surprise. I hate driving ours as it nearly always catches me out in traffic at junctions overtaking etc

Yea they are a big heavy car with only 177bhp, but they are far from gutless IMO, mine was very laggy before the engine replacement but it goes very well IMO 3rd gear upwards once you get used to the gearing. I haven't driven any of newer BMW diesels but I hear they are superb, but if they are anything like VAG diesels they give a big rush at once so can feel quicker than what they are.

Part of the problem is the gearing, seems to be about the same as my 535d in top anyway. The beemer can handle it though whereas the lexus cannot but it's not a fair fight. I think mine has a lazy wastegate so will look at if and whenever I get the time. TBH I don't begrudge the lack of punch on the move it's the liftoff from stop or low speed which is downright dangerous for me anyway. The sooner I get my garage built and my scooby back on the road the better.

I ran out of AR6200 last week and I have to say the difference is astonishing, I don't know what that stuff does but the lexus misses it badly.

One presumes you had gasket of the head problems. Did Agnew look after you properly and if so do you have FLSH. I don't and wonder will I be left on my own if it goes. Has FSH but only 2 stamps from lexus.

It was an approved used lexus but the only lexus stamp in the book was the service they done before delivery! All stamps from new where from an independant garage. FSH is fine from any garage - I'd check for any dried coolant from the overflow pipe, if so get it booked in. Lexus were great, couldn't complain with the service. What sort of mileage is on yours? I know what you mean, it can be laggy away from the mark - 535d is some job! Nice car!

That is encouraging. Mine has just short of 92k. Has been spewing out a little overflow too but am not 100% sure it wasn't overfilled slightly. Will monitor and maybe visit Belfast to see what they say.

Lexus IS220d and getting off the lights are best mates - once you get going, providing your in the right gear, it still surprises me at times but I also have the Ventura box.

Lexus IS220d and getting off the lights are best mates - once you get going, providing your in the right gear, it still surprises me at times but I also have the Ventura box.

You must be kidding !!!!

Lol I am......

Sorry I meant they aren't best mates, no idea why the typo. It's horrible getting off the lights!!

The ventura box does bring the Rev range lower a bit with boost being relatively consistent across the range. I am not sure how you drive, but dropping it a gear in mine when wanting to over take puts a massive smile on my face.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bigbullhead

This waste gate problem can someone enlighten me as you may know mine is a little sluggish and am looking for answers

Occasionally, the performance of my 07 220d is what you would expect of a car with 170+bhp. The weight of the car is not the issue, as I have driven heavier cars (BMW 520d and E220 CDI - both previous models) and they perform much, much better despit having much less torque! Remember, torque gets things moving (acceleration) and BHP comes to the fore at higher speeds (top speed)

Trouble is, I seem to get 2/3 drives a month when it goes surprisingly well, boosts early and then keeps on boosting. Whereas the rest of the time it is pretty damn slow and feels like it is producing no more than 120bhp; judging by the fact that I struggle to keep up with the derv brigade on the motorway. Initially my car was just uniformily slow all the time, but I have to admit that I do now suffer from the setting-off lethargy - it really isn't right, not by a long shot!! I have never had to dip a clutch in anything since I stopped racing motocross, but I do now as I would rather live than die on a roundabout!

I have tried all the additives(Archoil, BG244 etc, etc) and the Bardahl turbo/EGR cleaner, which took about 30 mins to dispense (and quite a bit of fuel),but nothing has really improved it to a marked degree. I also changed the MAF, but to no avail!

My car does more motorway miles than most and that makes it run o.k, but if you get stuck in traffic......then don't expect to pass a milk float when the road clears.

I thought my luck had changed and a new engine was coming, when I noted I was losing water, but Lexus found that the water pump was leaking after presuming it was the head gasket - I have never been so depressed when leaving a garage....ever!! To top it off, they had never known of a leaky water pump on post 05/06 cars.

Can I ask if those with poor-performing cars have noticed that they are better to use a very light throttle and let it boost more gradually? I can feel it kick-in lower down the rev range doing it that way, as odd as it feels in practice, but when driven using a normal level of throttle it feels like you catch it out and it chokes it; as if you were over-fueling in the way you could with older engines. Or is it just me?

Don't get me started on the suspension!!

Occasionally, the performance of my 07 220d is what you would expect of a car with 170+bhp. The weight of the car is not the issue, as I have driven heavier cars (BMW 520d and E220 CDI - both previous models) and they perform much, much better despit having much less torque! Remember, torque gets things moving (acceleration) and BHP comes to the fore at higher speeds (top speed)

Trouble is, I seem to get 2/3 drives a month when it goes surprisingly well, boosts early and then keeps on boosting. Whereas the rest of the time it is pretty damn slow and feels like it is producing no more than 120bhp; judging by the fact that I struggle to keep up with the derv brigade on the motorway. Initially my car was just uniformily slow all the time, but I have to admit that I do now suffer from the setting-off lethargy - it really isn't right, not by a long shot!! I have never had to dip a clutch in anything since I stopped racing motocross, but I do now as I would rather live than die on a roundabout!

I have tried all the additives(Archoil, BG244 etc, etc) and the Bardahl turbo/EGR cleaner, which took about 30 mins to dispense (and quite a bit of fuel),but nothing has really improved it to a marked degree. I also changed the MAF, but to no avail!

My car does more motorway miles than most and that makes it run o.k, but if you get stuck in traffic......then don't expect to pass a milk float when the road clears.

I thought my luck had changed and a new engine was coming, when I noted I was losing water, but Lexus found that the water pump was leaking after presuming it was the head gasket - I have never been so depressed when leaving a garage....ever!! To top it off, they had never known of a leaky water pump on post 05/06 cars.

Can I ask if those with poor-performing cars have noticed that they are better to use a very light throttle and let it boost more gradually? I can feel it kick-in lower down the rev range doing it that way, as odd as it feels in practice, but when driven using a normal level of throttle it feels like you catch it out and it chokes it; as if you were over-fueling in the way you could with older engines. Or is it just me?

Don't get me started on the suspension!!

Interesting, mine really has been going very well since the engine change - to be fair it didn't feel the quickest before hand - its certainly held off most cars that I have came across, it pulled away from a 140 TDi Golf. Whats wrong with the suspension?

Ok had the Engine change at 57k on is220d then at 87k the Car had a strange sensation like i was being pulled back (loss accelaration) on M6

near coventry, VSC error come up, but no limp mode, called Lexus Birmingham who told me to call lexus assist, they collected

the car and dropped at Lexus Birmingham, got call to say EGR blocked, they cleaned it out, been 2 weeks now was going ok, until other day, i am now getting a strange vibration sound if i blip the throttle, like Air leak sounds like Barrrrp between 1000rpm-1500rpm

but also now loss of power feels like i can only drive at 30 in 1st to 3rd gear if i go to 4th the revs drop to ideling speed, also feels like somthing is pulling you back when you accelerate, think i will be going back soon to Dealer lucky i have Lexus extended warranty

anyone else had this

Matt

Comparison to BMW is interesting. I went from the IS220d to a BMW 525d Auto (3.0l version), with 6 cyl and auto box, and it was faster, smoother, more economical, and very consistent. I could almost predict my MPG on a repeat journey. my IS220d would give 36mpg one day, and 42 the next - exactly the same journey, similar conditions etc. 44-52 mpg (I kid you not) easily attainable in the BMW, 38-46 in the IS220d in my every day commutes - some more urban, some more rural. Each similar journey would be +- %2-3% in the BMW, 10% or so in the IS220d.

The other thing I noticed immediately on changing was how easily the BMW engine would rev - just a like a petrol engine, especially when sitting idling in neutral. You hit the pedal and the revs would spin easily. The Lexus engine would take an age to rev. The engine didn't seem that great at all.....it just seemed too "heavy" internally with too much friction.

SO why did I change? I wanted something different. Both times I've owned a Lexus - it has been for that reason alone.