Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Magazine Reviews For New Is300H/is250

Having had an IS250 for over 4 years and short back-to-back test drives in the IS300h and BMW320d, I was interested to read the Auto Express group test. The most striking difference I noticed during my test drives was the noise and vibration in the BMW compared with the serene silence of the IS300h. Also over the past four years I've had no hint of a problem with my IS250 and I've been very happy with the local Lexus dealer's service and prices whereas a couple of colleagues have suffered a number of problems with their BMWs. Auto Express note both of these issues but obviously they must prioritise the criteria for choosing a car differently to me. For them handling is more important whereas I value a comfortable ride more highly especially after the only enjoyably twisty road I regularly drive acquired a 40mph speed limit and camera.

I agree, I am not convinced they review a car from the perspective of the "ordinary" motorist who has to deal with day to day driving and rarely gets the opportunity to test it to the limit. Neither do they have the after sales experience ordinary owners do. Over the years I've tried desperately to love BMW and dallied with buying an Audi S5 this time but neither gave me the overall feel good factor Lexus does. I had a Merc CLK prior to my IS250 and the customer service was nothing short of appalling and the attempted robbery having handed it back at the end of the lease bordered on criminal.

For my money Lexus ticks all the boxes, and if prospective owners don't take the time and trouble to test the brand for themselves then more fool them and, to Lexus's loss, continued exclusivity for those of us that do.

Car Magazine have just posted this comparison between the IS 300h and the BMW 320d:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Lexus-IS300h-vs-BMW-320d-2013-CAR-feature-review/

Seems reasonably fair and the BMW comes in for some critisism too.

This week's Auto Express (4 Sep 2013) has a group test IS300h SE v BMW 320d ED Business v Audi A4 2.0 TDI SE Technik (from memory the exact spec may be different). I wouldn't get too excited if you want the IS to win. "Third (I.e. Third generation) time lucky?" Not a chance with these motoring mags!

Hi Japthree,

do you remember who came first? cos after of 7 years of enjoyable Lexus, I'm thinking of the A4 mainly due to price and the option of having quattro. Having tested the 300h premier wasn't that convince, will try the 300h f sport and the A4 back to back next Thursday.

I find it significant that I have yet to read a UK Review of the 300h. that has evaluated the car in any of its 3 Core Drive Modes other than to push it in Tiptronic Guise then criticize its constant gearing & its high petrol consumption-----their ignorance is astonishing---enough said!

Tel

This week's Auto Express (4 Sep 2013) has a group test IS300h SE v BMW 320d ED Business v Audi A4 2.0 TDI SE Technik (from memory the exact spec may be different). I wouldn't get too excited if you want the IS to win. "Third (I.e. Third generation) time lucky?" Not a chance with these motoring mags!

Hi Japthree,

do you remember who came first? cos after of 7 years of enjoyable Lexus, I'm thinking of the A4 mainly due to price and the option of having quattro. Having tested the 300h premier wasn't that convince, will try the 300h f sport and the A4 back to back next Thursday.

BMW 320D was 1st with 5*, Audi A4 2.0 TDI SE Technik was 2nd with 4* and Lexus IS300h SE was 3rd also with 4*. I'd be interested to hear how you think the A4 and IS300h compare. How much impact does the Quattro option have on weight, performance and fuel economy?

Hi Japthree,

BMW 320D was 1st with 5*, Audi A4 2.0 TDI SE Technik was 2nd with 4* and Lexus IS300h SE was 3rd also with 4*. I'd be interested to hear how you think the A4 and IS300h compare. How much impact does the Quattro option have on weight, performance and fuel economy?

Not too sure regarding the weight, but the Lexus is about 8mpg better but with 4 wheel drive, I think thats very resonalable, as we all know, how the IS250 behaves when there is snow. The SE technik (sat-nav) is about 2k cheaper compare to f sport and with the dealer contribution at 3.9k (Lexus 1K) I'm looking at around saving of 3k after I add the extra option on. The audi is a little quicker on 0-60, but I'm not bother regarding that as comfort is more my thing

It seems snow is difficult in any car fitted with wide wheels and summer tyres. "Full Winter Tyres on a two wheel drive car are generally more effective on snow and ice than summer tyres on a four wheel drive vehicle" according to this article: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/parts-and-accessories/2010-11/winter-tyres/ Not sure whether this helps with your decision but please let us know your thoughts after back-to-back test driving the Audi & IS300h.

I don't mind if a reviewer by necessity judges cars based only on an initial, short drive - comes with the territory. Yes, that gives an unfair impression of ownership and an advantage to unreliable cars like BMW, but the reader knows this.

What gets me are the blatant *errors* or over-assumptions - "Oh the Lexus probably isn't really more efficient than a German diesel"; "The Lexus has an annoying whine [implied: the BMW is more refined]"; "The Lexus doesn't seem as spacious". These are just basically inaccurate and misleading.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.germancarforum.com/community/threads/autocar-road-test-lexus-is300h.49577/

Just seen this copy of the AutoCar IS300h road test which was published last month. I think it's more factual and rather better balanced than most other magazine reviews.

I love the way the mags try and make out that Lexus is somehow inferior. It means that even after a year, my GS is still rarity on british roads. I wanted something different, and boy I got it. OK it is quite thirsty compared to my old 5 series, and it handles poorly, but I wanted comfort and a long term bet.

In this country, BMW rules the roost - the modern BMW's are supremely efficient, drive very well indeed, and are well made. The newest Lexus' are very good - as well made, more comfortable than any of the german cars, but still have a bit of a strange suspension set up - either too firm, or too soft - never has that sublimity of the BMW's.

Overall though, there really isn't much in it - so how they can pick one car as being 5/5, and another 4/5, or even 3/5 is beyond me. Everyone wants something different from a car. If we all drove on motorways, then German Diesels may be more economical and the way to go. If we are worried about company car tax, then the Lexus might more sense. It's all very subjective to be honest.

I don't buy any of the magazines any more. It's not they are biased - they have articles written by journalists who recognise that most of these cars are bought as company cars. They also want to sell them - which means they have to hit the mass market, which through history of time means that most of the readers are in a strong belief that german is best.

Until now, the germans were such a good bet, when compared to say IS250 (new or old model). The IS couldn't hold a candle when it came to Co2 etc, so it was "struck off" by the journo's. The IS220d was poor to drive when compared to superior dynamics in any of the German cars that it was easy to write off. The new IS 300h makes it all so much harder now.

So my opinion is just enjoy the Lexus. I still haven't seen an IS on the roads - in fact I've only seen a very few GS's. For me personally, that rarity is worth far more than what a mag says.

I remember when my CLK320 was nearing the end of the lease purchase I trolled around BMW and Audi trying to fall in love with one or the other. For different reasons neither worked for, I just couldn't take to the Audi's and the customer service at BMW, or rather customer contempt, reminded my of why I would never buy another Merc. My Jag had reliability issues, Saab couldn't replicate the Griffin I'd had, I was wondering what to look at next. Almost stumbled across Lexus and haven't looked back. I love the rarity factor, combined with great comfort, more than enough toys, reliability and immaculate customer service.

To that list I can now add wow factor with the F Sport looks, fewer trips to Shell and £20 road tax!

Glad I had the good fortune to stumble across Lexus and more fool those who don't do their own research.

One of the most hilarious things about the olde worlde motoring press in the UK and their down on hybrids is that most of them will be avid Formula One enthusiasts. And what's been happening in F1 for the last few years? KERS, that's what. And what's KERS: why, it's the same energy recovery system used in our Lexus hybrids. And next year... even more KERS for F1, the electric motor/generators get bigger... Mind you my nice new shiny IS300H hasn't, I admit, got DRS. But then a large flap on the roof going up and down all the time would be a bit untidy, wouldn't it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is Chris Evans review of the IS300h. Interesting and goes against the grain of most of the others.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-2474928/Lexus-IS300h-reviewed-Chris-Evans-At-Hybrid-Lex-appeal-Usually-I-hate-Hybrids-ones-different.html

Ah, he's a Real User, you see and not a motoring journalist!. It does go and handle very well. And I looked at its sharpish lines yesterday and thought, a couple of years and they'll all be copying it, just like Jaguar admitted they copied the GS.

There was a very fair review of the IS300H Sport in Sunday's Telegraph Lifestyle section (10 Nov), which awarded it 5 stars. This was one of the few reviews where I felt the reviewer actually "got" the Lexus hybrid. It is perhaps telling that he had it for three days, rather than a couple of hours. Unfortunately, it does not seem to have been posted on the web yet.

• 4 months later...

Long term test reviews currently:

What Car? (been going since October 2013 see link below)

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/april/1289306

Car (since March issue)

Auto Express (second review this week IIRC)

Any others

It's a shame but the magazines haven't really been excited by the third generation IS. They will test typically the new Merc C against the BMW 3 and add the IS possibly just as an afterthought! Then the new Audi A4 out end of 2014/2015 and a forthcoming Jaguar XE compact executive. I thought Lexus could have been third time lucky :)

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/search?dimensionIds=368&dimensionIds=313

Why is the Volvo S60 in the compact exec list and no IS?!?!