Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Magazine Reviews For New Is300H/is250

CAR magazine August 2013 (note next issue September out next Wednesday so read quickly!)

IS300h v BMW F30 3-series

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Sample-new-nav/Magazine/

"...and squared the latest Lexus IS up against its biggest rival: the all-conquering BMW 3-series."

Evo August 2013 (next issue out tomorrow!)

One page review of IS300h

Test drive the is300h yesterday, I must say very disappointing, for 40k there is a lot of cheap plastic after 8 yrs with the is250sel i'm finding myself looking else where I'm sad to say.

I must say you are one of the minority who thinks this - the interior quality, in general, gets excellent comments.

I'm getting the F Sport with Metallic paint and sat nav for around £35k so I assume you test drove the Premier model?

Test drive the is300h yesterday, I must say very disappointing, for 40k there is a lot of cheap plastic after 8 yrs with the is250sel i'm finding myself looking else where I'm sad to say.

I must say you are one of the minority who thinks this - the interior quality, in general, gets excellent comments.

I'm getting the F Sport with Metallic paint and sat nav for around £35k so I assume you test drove the Premier model?

Hi David,

Yea I test the premier model, was thinking the f sport myself, the white and the red leather really rock my boat, got a good price if they do it for 35k. Coventry didn't have the f sport it was at their other branch so it was the premier I test drive. Don't get me wrong is a very nice car especially the dash and the steering wheel most of the cabin, what put me off most was the plastic they use for the door pocket, it reminded me of my door pocket in my transit van, not good, the old IS you could pull it out and had soft touch material, the swan neck in the boot also look so cheap, such a shame, just seem they didn't want to pay too much attention on the smaller things.

My old SEL eveything was top notch from the handles to the pedals and the wood trim around the cabin, you feel you in luxury car. The new 300h apart from the flashy dash there wasn't much that made me feel "WOW", but that's only my humble opinion, maybe I was spoilt with the IS250.

actually ive heard similar feedback a few time

• 4 weeks later...

Autocar [21 August 2013] IS300h Roadtest (8 pages).

What Car? [October 2013 (out)] group test: Audi A3 Saloon (yes A3 not A4) v BMW 320d ED Auto v IS300h SE v Mercedes CLA CDi 220 Sport

1st Audi, 2nd BMW, 3rd Lexus, 4th Merc.

I doubt it would, actually.

Magazines have a bias towards the Germans because: a) they advertise more in them; and B) reviewers are just more used to them.

If :a) is true then it's a disgrace, is the magazine for the advertisers or the readers?

I've read various reviews, driven the cars and been baffled, either way we all look for different things in a car. I think if the testers of the four cars mentioned in Japthree's post had driven each car for a month their conclusions would have been different. For a start how do you compare a diesel with a petrol, they're completely different animals.

The longer you have a Lexus the more it grows on you, they more you appreciate the build quality, comfort, smoothness reliability and the simple joy of driving it.

The Key Issue with the UK Reviews is they love the Build,the handling/ride combo & the CVT in Towns & on Motorways & the potential running costs then charge into the Countryside in Tiptronic Sport & dislike its different nature which is so foreign to the German opposition.

I have had my F-Sport for 2 weeks in D- Mode & its power delivery is perfect & matches my previous SEL's nippiness when overtaking,moving from traffic light stops etc..-----------& I get c.53 mpg driving it as I did my ISF-------truly amazing & such a looker too!

Tel

The Key Issue with the UK Reviews is they love the Build,the handling/ride combo & the CVT in Towns & on Motorways & the potential running costs then charge into the Countryside in Tiptronic Sport & dislike its different nature which is so foreign to the German opposition.

I have had my F-Sport for 2 weeks in D- Mode & its power delivery is perfect & matches my previous SEL's nippiness when overtaking,moving from traffic light stops etc..-----------& I get c.53 mpg driving it as I did my ISF-------truly amazing & such a looker too!

Tel

That's very reassuring Tel, I must admit when i had a test drive in the 300 (Premier) I pushed it and felt it was easily as good and a better handler than my 250, but with the passage of a couple of weeks I was beginning to doubt myself. BTW, did you check whether you had the adaptive Suspension (assuming you have the Nav option).

I can't wait until next Sunday at 10.00AM!!!

Given the number of reviews which marked the IS down for not matching it's fuel economy figure, I thought his what car update was reassuring

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/real-world-mpg-executive-saloons/1207982

That's great, on page 30 in the August 2013 edition in What Car's first drive of the IS they said "Tue, the BMW [320d] is slightly easier on fuel, and we'd expect it to get closer to it's official figure than the Lexus in real-world driving". Also diesel is more expensive and the engines are less refined than the smooth and quiet IS300h.

Also great is that the ride quality of the IS300h on 17" wheels isn't criticised in either of the full tests just published by What Car or Autocar whereas neither liked it in the IS2. Ride quality was my main concern when Lexus kept emphasising sporting prowess when they first announced the IS3.

DJP,

My F-Sport has Nav/Leather & all the options these come with but I chose not to have the Adaptive Suspension because the D- Mode impressed me on the Test Drives yet gave such impressive fuel figures when driven swiftly.

As of today, I will never drive in Prius Mode & rarely in Sport Mode-----D is so good.

Tel

Here's a couple of reviews from Aus and one from USA:

http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2013/medium-passenger/lexus/is300h/lexus-is-300h-2013-road-test-38192
http://www.carshowroom.com.au/newcars/reviews/3912/2013_Lexus_IS_Review_and_First_Drive

http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/lexus_is_2014

It's great to hear that Tel and the others lucky enough to have already got their IS300hs are all very positive and haven't yet hit any problems or had cause for complaint.

The What Car new car guide is a shocker. 6/10 and no case to be made for it, apparently... all because hybrid's a bit weird.

I've news for you folks - so was diesel once upon a time! You know, that fuel you're all raving about now...

This week's Auto Express (4 Sep 2013) has a group test IS300h SE v BMW 320d ED Business v Audi A4 2.0 TDI SE Technik (from memory the exact spec may be different). I wouldn't get too excited if you want the IS to win. "Third (I.e. Third generation) time lucky?" Not a chance with these motoring mags!

I do think it takes a few days, and learning about a new car to make a judgement.

The magazines only offer an individual view. The IS stands out on the road surrounded by anonymous competitor's.

I am getting 47 mpg with spirited M way driving. In other hybrids I had they improve on MPG over time.

The sport mode on the gear box gives a flappy paddle shifter that YOU can control up or down shifting. There is a very noticeable increase in acceleration.

It is a no compromise petrol hybrid. period. full stop.

Having had an IS250 for over 4 years and short back-to-back test drives in the IS300h and BMW320d, I was interested to read the Auto Express group test. The most striking difference I noticed during my test drives was the noise and vibration in the BMW compared with the serene silence of the IS300h. Also over the past four years I've had no hint of a problem with my IS250 and I've been very happy with the local Lexus dealer's service and prices whereas a couple of colleagues have suffered a number of problems with their BMWs. Auto Express note both of these issues but obviously they must prioritise the criteria for choosing a car differently to me. For them handling is more important whereas I value a comfortable ride more highly especially after the only enjoyably twisty road I regularly drive acquired a 40mph speed limit and camera.