Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Still Silky Smooth Like Galaxy Chocolate After 14 Years

There's something special about the straight six engine it's just so smooth and the sound is just great; 14 years on from 1999 - it still floats like a hovercraft - okay the inside is dated now and not very techy compared to cars today but it's still got a lot of kit. How does the Mark2 IS drive in comparison - is it just as smooth? Thanks.

• Like 2

from a refinement and smoothness point of view the series II 250 is ahead of the series I IS200 auto, mainly due to the gearbox but also more low end torque from the engine. Series I is a better drivers car, more engaging and fun. From the marketing material it looks like the series III is looking to capture back some of the lost driver spirt.

• Like 1

from a refinement and smoothness point of view the series II 250 is ahead of the series I IS200 auto, mainly due to the gearbox but also more low end torque from the engine. Series I is a better drivers car, more engaging and fun. From the marketing material it looks like the series III is looking to capture back some of the lost driver spirt.

I've had a Mk1 is200 sport, a Mk2 is220d and now have a Mk2 is250 SEL.

I'd agree pretty much the above statement. Start using the ECT power button and the flappy paddles and the 250 can be very engaging and a lot of fun too. The auto box is sublime. My Tank Average is currently 34.2mpg...for a 2.5 V6 Auto that is pretty impressive by any standard.

I can see what ISF drivers smile about so much.....and I only have half their horsepower. Maybe one day I can convince myself to part with nearly £500 a year road tax.

I agree. My IS is 13 years old and also as smooth as silk without rattles. The only gripe I have is the clunky change into second gear :-(

Change your gearbox oil to this stuff. Well known cure to the notchy/clunky 2nd gear issue on the manual trans...

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1020-red-line-synthetic-manual-transmission-90-mt90-75w-90-gl4.aspx

• Like 2

Stolen from wikipedia, as to why straight-6 engines are smooth: :P

An inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance, without the use of a balance shaft. The engine is in primary couple balance because the front and rear trio of cylinders are mirror images, and the pistons move in pairs (but of course, 360° out of phase and on different strokes of the 4-stroke cycle). That is, piston #1 mirrors #6, #2 mirrors #5, and #3 mirrors #4, largely eliminating the polar rocking motion that would otherwise result. Secondary imbalance is avoided because the crankshaft has six crank throws arranged in three planes offset at 120°. The result is that the secondary forces that are caused by differences from purely sinusoidal motion sum to zero.

An inline four cylinder or V6 engine without a balance shaft will experience secondary dynamic imbalance, resulting in engine vibration. As a general rule, the forces arising from any dynamic imbalance increase as the square of the engine speed for example, if the speed doubles, vibration will increase by a factor of four. In contrast, inline six engines have no primary or secondary imbalances, and with carefully designed crankshaft vibration dampers to absorb torsional vibration, will run more smoothly at the same crankshaft speed (rpm).

And ditto to Lance for suggesting the Redline gearbox oil. I use it in my Datsun Laurel (which also has a lovely straight-6 motor) and the gear changes are very smooth for a car that has done almost 200k miles :zee:

I agree. My IS is 13 years old and also as smooth as silk without rattles. The only gripe I have is the clunky change into second gear :-(

Change your gearbox oil to this stuff. Well known cure to the notchy/clunky 2nd gear issue on the manual trans...

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1020-red-line-synthetic-manual-transmission-90-mt90-75w-90-gl4.aspx

Thanks! I'll see if I can source that stuff locally....

Gotta say I love my auto, its silky smooth running comma oil. As is that lovely engine of course!

The biggest problem with this auto box is always going to be the step from 1st to 2nd, its too much of a jump really. Once into second though I think it's great. I love dropping it into 3rd at 70mph and feeling it take off when overtaking on the motorway.

The MK2 IS250 has a smoother engine I'd say, but I dont't think it is as audibly pleasing at high revs.

Cant say as I

I love dropping it into 3rd at 70mph and feeling it take off when overtaking on the motorway.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of RPM will the engine be at when you drop into 3rd at 70mph?
Now you come to mention it, I cant say as I've noticed. Its inside the ACIS band though.

Will have a look next time i go out. If you give it moderate accelerator input its enough to open the torque converter lockup. If you floor it, it will drop to 3rd.

Talking of the auto, mines adapted quite well and uses 2nd and up most of the time. Only when i start from a standstill it ever uses 1st really. This is because im very light footed and it has adapted to my driving style. Even when i give it some it will change down early. If im feeling racy i just press the ECT PWR button and its a different experience and holds each gear and changes in the power band without hesitation.

Also sjrainsford knocking it into 3rd is useful for engine braking at low speeds, if you try to get the most out of your pads and discs like me lol

Talking of the auto, mines adapted quite well and uses 2nd and up most of the time. Only when i start from a standstill it ever uses 1st really. This is because im very light footed and it has adapted to my driving style. Even when i give it some it will change down early. If im feeling racy i just press the ECT PWR button and its a different experience and holds each gear and changes in the power band without hesitation.

Also sjrainsford knocking it into 3rd is useful for engine braking at low speeds, if you try to get the most out of your pads and discs like me lol

The only thing I'd say to that though, is that Pads are a lot cheaper than a gearbox ;-)

I love dropping it into 3rd at 70mph and feeling it take off when overtaking on the motorway.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of RPM will the engine be at when you drop into 3rd at 70mph?

Actually I was wrong, it drops into second when I floor it at 70mph or just below. It goes in at about 6000rpm then drops into third at about 6100rpm ish which gives just over 4000rpm - enough to just be inside the ACIS band anyway.

When actually moving the Auto box is great. It's just a bit crap off the mark as the jump from first to second is too great.

Knocking the box into 3rd isnt doing anything aggressive and is perfectly fine. All its doing is disengaging the OD which is recommended for engine breaking, more so for when towing or going down steep inclines.

Has anyone got their auto box serviced yet? Was it easy to change the oil and which oil did you use?

It's easy enough to change the oil. I've used Comma oil in mine and it's been great.

Knocking the box into 3rd isnt doing anything aggressive and is perfectly fine. All its doing is disengaging the OD which is recommended for engine breaking, more so for when towing or going down steep inclines.

No I agree, I was just having a laugh really. I can't say as I've personally felt the need much, and we tow a caravan. Holding it in third has been useful though when towing to stop it gear jumping when in between two gears.

It was pretty useful in Devon though!

No I agree, I was just having a laugh really. I can't say as I've personally felt the need much, and we tow a caravan. Holding it in third has been useful though when towing to stop it gear jumping when in between two gears.

It was pretty useful in Devon though!

lol i see. sorry. When i got my first auto a few years back did alot of reading up on them, how they worked and all the tips and tricks that comes with owning one :)

Im changing the oil in mine with next service, so ive read on here to use toyota ATF religiously or anything that meets the toyota specifications.... so this comma ATF is ok then?

Has anyone got their auto box serviced yet? Was it easy to change the oil and which oil did you use?

It's easy enough to change the oil. I've used Comma oil in mine and it's been great.

Do you know of a step by step guide anywhere to do it??

Yes, the comma stuff seems fine to me.

They do a few different auto transmission oils, all with a 3 letter description. The one for Toyota is ASW.

http://www.uk.commaoil.com/productsguide/view/6/193

But as mentioned above, it's just like changing the engine oil really. However, if you want to do a thorough job of it you need to do a number of fill and drains, also the sump needs to come off so the filter can be cleaned.

Its just like changing the engine oil. Drain the sump, and replace oil thru dip stick hole.

except you only replace about 1/3 of the fluid that way as most of it remains in the transmission, cooler, and TC. Performing a flush is the only way to replace all the fluid.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links