Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing Suspension All Round

Funky_Monkey

Hey guys,

I'm wanting to replace the suspension front and rear on my 200, I got the car just 1 month ago and the previous owner decided to lower the front but not the back so it currently looks like I'm breaking hard everywhere xD.

Unfortunately I'm only just getting into cars, modding and the likes so don't know all the in's and outs. I understand I need Struts, Shocks and Springs But don't know what ones to get. Was trying to get some low mileage sport suspension for the slightly lower ride height but can't seem to find anyone selling them so now looking at getting a custom set. I don't want it too low, as I said I'd prefer close to stock sport height if possible.

As for coilovers I cant afford them but wish I could :(

Any help is greatly appreciated as always :)

Thanks

-Adam

Haven't had a chance to give it a proper look yet but all feels fine apart from the front doesn't like going over minor potholes or dips in the road but putting that down to the springs the last guy put on it.

Any recommendations as to sport springs?

And BTW Pete your alloys look f***ing awesome :D

I understand I need Struts, Shocks and Springs But don't know what ones to get.

Struts = Spring + Shock assembly :P

Anyway, here is a suggestion that could get you started:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3872.m570.l1313&_nkw=Lexus+IS200+(XE1)+Eibach+Pro+Kit+Lowering+Springs&_sacat=0&_from=R40

They are a direct replacement for the standard IS200 springs. I've never used them before but have seen them mentioned on this forum on a couple of occasions.

And here are some shocks to go with those springs:

Front: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS-GXE10-1999-Present-Rear-Bilstein-B6-Shock-Absorber-200-300-/151028708628?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item232a033514

Rear: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS-GXE10-1999-Present-Front-Bilstein-B6-Shock-Absorber-200-300-/130890250927?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e79aabaaf

• Like 1

Ah I see.. Thanks for the correction Ganesh :)

Might just get some springs for now and see how the shocks go, got any recommendations for springs under £150? Can't really afford much more then that.

Also anyone got any pictures of a 200 with 35mm drop?

Found these 2 sets:

APEX £122: http://www.ctc-performance.co.uk/Parts-Lexus-Lexus-IS200-Suspension/IS200_Apex_Lowering_Springs

TIEN £155 : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-200-00-05-Tein-S-Tech-Lowering-Springs-/290540458291?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a58f9133

anyone got any experience with any of these?

The Eibach springs as mentioned above are exactly what you need! Back in the day when you could get TTE parts for your IS200 through Lexus it was Eibach who made the lowering springs and the anti-roll bars. The only difference between them and the ones still produced by Eibach is the name stamped on the side.

Here's what they will do for your car:

Lower it approx 35mm, this is just the right drop for your car taking away the unsightly arch gap.

They will not affect ride quality, they will make the chassis a little more taut but the ride is not compromised.

They will lower the car to a level where there will be no tyre wear issues. If you lower the car beyond 35mm the camber is not recoverable therefore leading to inner tyre wear issues. The only way overcome this is to fit adjustable arms or aftermarket camber bolts that have a greater range of movement than the fitted camber adjusters on the car.

They will not sag or break like other cheaper brands.

Tein and Apex are known to give a harsh ride and Tein are well known to sag.

In a normal case these springs are designed to be fitted to the standard shock absorbers and there is no need to replace them unless they are leaking.

Good thread: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/58760-tte-lowering-springs/

Standard ride height

IMG_2518.jpg

This is an IS200 lowered on TTE/Eibach springs with a 35mm drop. (Eibach quote 30mm but when they settle it's closer to 35mm)

IMG_2561.jpg

• Like 2

Like I said the Eibach springs are a little out of my current price range especially since I need to get the brakes done soon (£200) if the APEX ones last me even a year then I'd be happy, Currently the car looks awful with the fronts done and the rears stock, and planning on doing the wheels myself over the weekend as they look like s*** atm.

As long as I get the car looking good for at least 1 year until I can afford all the proper toys I wana put on then I'd be happy :)

Eibach was going to be my suggestion too. From what I've read, on both this forum and O.J.C, along with other places on the net, an Eibach set up will give you a lower ride height, tighter handling, without much in the way of sacrificing comfort for day to day driving.

Will have a look when I have the wheels off at the weekend, did notice 1 or 2 people mention it when I was looking into what others have done but didn't realise it was a known fault. Thanks for the heads up :)

Hi Adam. Welcome to the LOC and is200 ownership. If the car is still on Lexus Shocks, and they are not in need of repair, keep them. You shouldn't need to change them. They will work with whatever springs you use. I'm saving up for some Eibachs. But my wife decided to get pregnant instead. . . . Lol.

My opinion, don't waste your money on interim springs. Save and wait for Eibach. Enjoy the ride as Lexus designed it for a couple of months and then get the springs.

Also, get your alignment and tracking done. Lexus settings chew up the front tyres. The rears don't last too long either . . .

Agree with most above, I have had Eibachs on mine for the 4 years I had owned my Lexus and they work very well with standard shocks. Last year I added Eibach anti roll bars and it is like driving a different car. Still comfortable but goes round roundabouts like its on rails. Agree it gets through tyres but that's probably the way I drive it, by why modify it and drive like a pensioner, no wait I am a pensioner and I still love it!

• Like 1

Unfortunately that's the problem, my car isn't currently sitting on stock springs otherwise I wouldn't be in such a hurry to replace them.

The previous owner thought the car would look good with lowered front and not back so currently the car looks like I'm breaking hard everywhere and to me look horrific and the handling isn't as sharp as I believe it should be. Also roadworks and tiny potholes are a nightmare unless going ~5 mph.. These are the reasons I wanna change the springs ASAP :)

If it is going to be an interim solution, I wonder if it would be cheaper still for you to just get a pair of original front springs from a breaker's yard? That way, you regain the comfort and correct factory ride height of the IS200.

You can then swap the Eibachs in when you are able to :)

Just a thought...

Maybe.. Been asking on eBay and a lot of breakers either didn't get back to me or didn't have the springs, have been given an offer by someone for full shocks and springs from a sport for £120 taken off the car at 50k. What do you guys think?

Sounds like a good price. I'm assuming they've decided to lower their car, as opposed to the shocks or springs being broken. For your piece of mind, ring your local Lexus dealership and ask how much they would charge for new replacement is200 Sport Shocks and Springs. £120 sounds good.

Gotta agree with Stuart. Going for an "interim" solution is just a false economy. Grab a pair of standard springs on eBay or the like, throw them on so the ride is balanced, and then change the whole lot out in one go.

I would guess Lexus will want about a grand for 4 shocks and springs, so don't go there if you can help it. must be loads around but that price for what you have been offered is good. my shocks have done 58k and are fine. Go for it

• 2 weeks later...

Well I fitted the IS200 Sport suspension on Saturday and its been retracked thanks to my uncle :). Fitment went smoothly and all in all I'm very happy with them, sooooo much nicer and comfier then the old setup.

Thanks for all the advice you guys gave me :)

• Like 2