Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm still getting used to the whole hybrid experience and I'm really missing a rev counter for the engine.

I've read all the manuals and I think I've pressed all the buttons but I can't see anything that will show revs - I haven't missed anything, have I?

• Like 1

Think only power display available as the engine is linked in to the electric motors. Power guage does go up and down like a rev counter i have found that it has a simlar look and feel I when you press the load pedal back off when it nears maximum.

I can't get over the acceleration and instant power on tap for such a big car.

Best regards

Chris

there is no rev counter because you don't really get any control over the engine speed. It is determined by your accelerator pedal to some extent but mainly the hybrid system and CVT transmission. Under normal conditions the engine really only operates at two speeds, either quite low for economy and torque and then at a high rpm to achieve peek bhp output.

The engine speed is decoupled from the road speed by the CVT transmission. This is what people find alien coming from a vehicle with a normal transmission. The engine speed can remain constant yet you go faster and faster.

hi, i have an RX400h, and just wonder if i have misunderstood you; i quote: "The engine speed can remain constant yet you go faster and faster."

i hope this is not the case, as when i set the cruise control i want the car to go the speed i set, not to go faster and faster.

Jason

hi, i have an RX400h, and just wonder if i have misunderstood you; i quote: "The engine speed can remain constant yet you go faster and faster."

i hope this is not the case, as when i set the cruise control i want the car to go the speed i set, not to go faster and faster.

Jason

yes misunderstood as you well know, owning a 400h ;) that comment is in reference to accelerating, not once a desired vehicle speed has been achieved.

If you accelerate and keep you accelerator pedal at a certain position the engine speed remains somewhat constant yet the vehicle speed builds. With a normal transmission the engine rpm is directly linked to road speed, at what ratio would be dependant on the gear selected, therefore if the engine speed remains constant so does the vehicle speed.

As an extreme example you can keep your foot down from standstill, the engine revs will quickly build to around 5,600 rpm (peak power output) and remain there until you release the accelerator or you reach maximum speed at around 125mph. This is different from a normal transmission where the engine speed will go up and down as the different gear ratios are selected.

• 4 years later...
On 7/22/2013 at 8:37 PM, mick4545 said:

The LS 600h has a rev counter. Its handy for telling if the engine is stopped at low speeds. Normal motorway speeds it sits around 1100 rpm.

Does the rx400h have a visual indicator on the dashboard to show when the engine is running or stopped?

1 minute ago, welland said:

Does the rx400h have a visual indicator on the dashboard to show when the engine is running or stopped?

No, but it really shouldn't be of any concern whether it is running or not - as the driver you cannot control it.

16 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

No, but it really shouldn't be of any concern whether it is running or not - as the driver you cannot control it.

interesting... so no manual override?  Does the engine ever restart before the car starts moving, or always after? (I'm a noob with hybrids - picking up my RX400h next week).

I once borrowed an audi a4 allroad manual tranny- about 2008 vintage - and the auto restart could be switched off.  And if it was activated, it would restart when the clutch pedal was pressed to engage 1st gear.  One had to know when the engine was on or off as it made a difference to the get away speed at a junction.  Interestingly, when a trailer was hitched up, the auto-engine-off was automatically disabled.  

The Audi has a stop/start system. That is very different from a full hybrid vehicle, which is capable of pulling away without the engine running.

You cannot control the engine start/stop in normal operation.

The engine may start before moving off, but only if the hybrid Battery gets low and needs to be charged - or in cold weather you have the heating on and the engine temperature drops too low to keep you warm.

Whilst moving the engine will cut in and out as needed. Above a certain speed the engine won't cut out but will idle if only electric power is needed.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2013 at 9:32 AM, nelmo said:

I'm still getting used to the whole hybrid experience and I'm really missing a rev counter for the engine.

I've read all the manuals and I think I've pressed all the buttons but I can't see anything that will show revs - I haven't missed anything, have I?

On my GS I can change the settings to show the rev counter all the time.

Capture.JPG

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links