Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member. Is200 Owner.

rufus36

I've recently taken ownership of this black IS200 SE.

84,000 from new and hardly a mark on her.

I've had a thing for these cars since 1999 when my mate managed to blag one as a compnay car.

So much more fun than the horrible TDDI Mondeo she's replacing, sod the fuel economy!!!

I will be looking to change the rear exhaust box soon as it is blowing, can anybody recommend one?

I will also be lowering the rear by 40mm at some point so if anybody has any spare springs kicking about drop me a pm

post-47161-0-98511600-1374506286_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to LOC, nice car :)

Never heard of an exhaust blowing on one of these before, are you sure it's all connected up right and not come unattached from the centre section maybe?

Mines 13 years old and still running the original exhaust with no signs of it failing.

Sounds like its blowing where the tube enters the front of the rear silencer.

Or i may just be hearing things and looking for an excuse for a little more noise :shifty:

Do i have one question, i am under the impression that the IS200 has 4 catalitic converters in its full system?

How many, and which ones could i remove and still get it to pass the emissions test for an MOT?

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm loving it, is the handling really amazing or just sooooo much better than my tired old Mondeo??

Although the car is very clean i have no history with it. 84,000 is confirmed by info on the current MOT but all the service items i have changed so far, air filter and pollen filter, have been absolutely filthy.

This has left me concerned that it might be an idea to get the cambelt changed as i'd hate to wreck the topend.

Also, the fella who did the oil and filter could only remove 1 spark plug when he went to change them, any pointers on removing stubborn spark plugs would therefore be greatfully recieved!!!

Welcome to the club. I picked mine up with 125, 000 miles and found out that it had never had it's cambelt changed. . . I've had mine service by Lexus twice since January . . . 12, 000 miles this year already!?!

Not sure about removing cats . . Check the exhaust is screwed on properly, but I don't know what to replace it with. Everyone talks eibach springs up as they work very well with the Lexus shocks. I would get some, but I've got a baby on the way and I need to watch the pennies.

Check the facebook is200 page, as they like lowering and modding. Quite a few of us is200/is300 owners are on that page.

• Like 1

Ok the standard IS exhaust system has 3 cats. 2 on the manifold (pre cats) and 1 main cat.

Removing the 2 pre cats might be ok. Some have found it goes through the MOT and doesn't trigger any warning lights. However some have not been so fortunate.

Removing the main cat you will fail the emissions on the MOT and will more than likely trigger the EML to come on giving a cat fault code. This can be overcome by using an O2 simulator but you will still always fail the MOT as I understand it.

For a black one it looks really clean and in good condition. Whenever i see black ones they look battered, not sure if they just show up scuffs and scratches easier?

Anyway welcome and glad your loving the car. and like your attitude. Lifes to short to worry about MPG! :driving:

I'm now in dire need of a backbox as it has just fallen off!!!!!

It has failed just before the flange where it bolts to the centre section.

Any body know of any good value aftermarket backboxes??

• Like 1

I decided that there can't be too many people making these things so i bought the cheapest one i could find on eBay.

£46.61 to the door and it is absolutely spot on, stainless steel tailpipe aswell!!!

• Like 1

I decided that there can't be too many people making these things so i bought the cheapest one i could find on ebay.

£46.61 to the door and it is absolutely spot on, stainless steel tailpipe aswell!!!

there all stainless steel. do you mean chrome tip?

Back box is a mild steel direct replacement. The tip is chrome/polished stainless steel. Outlet/tip is slightly smaller in diametre than standard. Its ever so slightly more noisey than the original, but only with the windows down!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got these bad boys on the way, 18x7.5 fronts and 18x8 rears.

I'm going to repaint the centres gloss black and do the rims matt black.

I won't say what i paid for them, suffice to say i couldn't have bought a pair of the tyres(all 4 are 6mm) for what i paid for the lot :phone:

post-47161-0-88092200-1376249096_thumb.j

post-47161-0-59070000-1376249115_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

I've fitted the wheels now. They have really got 215/35/18's fitted making the ride a little harsh. In the longterm i will fit 215(maybe 225)45/18. I want to lower the car a bit in the future but i won't be doing this until the larger profile tyres are fitted as i don't want to do it twice.

post-47161-0-99686800-1377887157_thumb.p

45 profile tyres will give about 20mm less 'tyre to arch' gap which will help.

I'd like -40mm springs for the back but they are very overpriced considering the average price for a pair of springs.

I am looking at modifying the standard rear shocks by -40mm by cutting and welding the top collars, should be relatively straight forward :D

I just fitted Black rims with 225/40/18. This gives something like 1.9% difference in rolling diameter over 215/45/17 and looks good.

Not 100% sure 225/45/18 will fit the arches with no rubbing - recommend check first.