Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shift Lock

donmar

hi, having problems selecting gear? can only select gear by pressing the shift lock it started yesterday, hopefully its only a fuse so can anyway tell me where and which fuse this is please.

cheer

don

there isn't a fuse directly inline with the solenoid, there are a couple of fuses which feed the Shift lock ECU; 10A Gauge and 15A Radio No.2. I believe these are both located inside, in the footwell areas.

First thing is to check your brake lights work. The system uses the brake pedal switch to operate the solenoid. If they are working then you would have to check the voltage at the solenoid. It could be the the solenoid itself is a bit seized up, a bit of WD-40 may solve the issue. It is quite easy to remove the centre trim to gain access.

cheers for that I will check it out later ,I have not checked lights as normally get brake light on on dash if not working, I have got it booked into LEXUS next week for it but if its a simple job like fuse I will do it , when you say the centre trim? are you on about the panel around the transmission gear shift lever

cheers for that I will check it out later ,I have not checked lights as normally get brake light on on dash if not working, I have got it booked into LEXUS next week for it but if its a simple job like fuse I will do it , when you say the centre trim? are you on about the panel around the transmission gear shift lever

if the brake pedal switch isn't working then the system doesn't think you are braking and therefore doesn't even try to put on the lights - the light warning system doesn't come in play :)

Yes, the whole wooden trim around the transmission tunnel comes off quite easily but sounds like you would want to leave that to your dealer to do.

ok thanks, I will try to have a look I have noticed I am not getting the clicking from the brake peddle when pressed which always sounds like a relay clicking, and yes my brake lights are working,

the clicking is the solenoid activating. Looking at the repair manual it seems the solenoid and control unit are combined in one unit. If it isn't just a case of it being stuck which can be freed then be prepared for a large bill, with labour it could be a two or three hundred pounds to fix at a dealer.

• Like 1

I still not had chance to look? I have been told it could be the brake switch which is a double switch and it activates the solenoid and the brake lights, and it sounds like the solenoid part of the switch is failing to work the solenoid, I was told to disconnect the 4 wires touch 2 together will put brake lights on and touch the other 2 together will activate the solenoid, this will check out the switch, I will prob have a look over weekend.

cheers

don

• 2 weeks later...

colin, I had lexus look at problem and yes it will cost £490 gulp? anyway is the solenide located in the gear shift housing casing if so witch part do you wd40 as I cant see anything in there that looks like a solenide, or as anyone got a photo or diagam of what it looks like.

cheers

don

Do you know how much of the price was for parts vs labour? Looking at the removal instructions it seems the exhaust has to be removed to disconnect the linkage at the gearbox so I suspect there is a couple of hours labour in that cost.

I would be tempted to try and get a second hand unit from a scrapyard if the part is quite expensive or remove the solenoid pin to just remove the feature (not recommended)

Here is an exploded diagram:

post-3469-0-68687000-1376252224_thumb.pn

and the disassembly instructions attached (these instructions assume the shift level assembly has been removed from the vehicle - not sure how much is possible with it still in place).

DISA.PDF

thanks for that colin, no they just gave me the price fitted? from what I can see of a the spare unit I have is that it as 4 bolts 2 at the front 1 on the side and 1 at the rear and on the side is were the linkage is fitted, not sure but I think the linkage can be removed from there, the spare unit I got is different to mine as mine as P R N D 4 3 L 2 but on the replacement where 4th is its M not sure what M is? not sure about tackling my self but not happy with the price lexus gave me,

cheers

don

If it has M then it is from a facelift GS300 (oct 200 onwards) with the e-shift. M is for manual mode which allows you to use buttons on the steering wheel to select gears. I'm sure the shifter is exactly the same expect for the lettering.

it dos look the same apart from that and I can change the cover and put my own cover on as it only clips on, just don't fancy tackling the job yet its just a pain having to press shift lock and yet it works fine on the odd day tho?

• 10 months later...

sorry Steve, I did get a replacement unit from the scrap yard but not had chance to change it up to yet? its not to bad using shift lock to locate forward or reverse, I will tackle the job one day as need to do a couple of jobs on her just been busy over the last year, had to have new discs /pads/shoes on rear yesterday

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links